Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Rollins First mock of 2013 draft

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rollins

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:25 pm    Post subject: Rollins First mock of 2013 draft Reply with quote

1. Eziekiel Ansah OLB-While this guy has incredible athleticism, the two things that stand out to me as reasons the steelers would take him are he is very good against the run and has impressive hand usage as a young player.

2. Eddie Lacy RB- This guy is exactly what kind of runner we need. Our OL should me much better next year and run blocking is the obvious stregnth of our young OL. If they can stay healthy I think they could open up some nice holes for Mr Lacy(who in my opinion would be a steal in 2nd round). He hits the whole hard, has powerful legs, good vision, and surprising quickness for a man his size.

3. Baccari Rambo S- Good ball skills and coverage ability. Im tired of DBs with good tackling but questionable coverage and hands. Ill take the guy who is a ball hawk and needs to work on tackling for once.

4. Jon Bostic ILB- Very physical ILB would be a good 2 down LB to allow Sean Spence to only have to play passing downs.

5-7- Im not gonna just throw out random names since I havent gotten a chance to dive to far into these late round sleepers yet.

Thoughts on prospects and positions taken?
treat88

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No doubt Ansah has superstar potential. Aldon Smith like potential.

Personally, I don't see the explosiveness and strength that would make me risk a first on him. He's a tough fit in our scheme too. I like the thought of a scheme diverse player, but I doubt he'd get used early in in that Aldon Smith role.

Low floor, high ceiling pick. I get the thought process, I just don't think this player is likely to hit that ceiling. More Jarvis Moss than Aldon Smith is my guess.

I like Lacy. Don't think he is a game changing talent. How much is a dominant college OL, how much is the back himself? I see a guy that gets what's blocked and some occasional yards after contact, but not a guy that creates his own space or sets up the open field. Solid but unspectacular pick.

I like Rambo and agree that we should sacrifice some tackling for some ball hawking at the DB position generally.

Don't know much about Bostic...I like the position in this round though.

Solid rationale for the picks and picks that make sense. I'd go a different route, but...well done.

"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself."

Last edited by treat88 on Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
kysteeler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Rollins First mock of 2013 draft Reply with quote

rollins wrote:
1. Eziekiel Ansah OLB-While this guy has incredible athleticism, the two things that stand out to me as reasons the steelers would take him are he is very good against the run and has impressive hand usage as a young player.

2. Eddie Lacy RB- This guy is exactly what kind of runner we need. Our OL should me much better next year and run blocking is the obvious stregnth of our young OL. If they can stay healthy I think they could open up some nice holes for Mr Lacy(who in my opinion would be a steal in 2nd round). He hits the whole hard, has powerful legs, good vision, and surprising quickness for a man his size.

3. Baccari Rambo S- Good ball skills and coverage ability. Im tired of DBs with good tackling but questionable coverage and hands. Ill take the guy who is a ball hawk and needs to work on tackling for once.

4. Jon Bostic ILB- Very physical ILB would be a good 2 down LB to allow Sean Spence to only have to play passing downs.

5-7- Im not gonna just throw out random names since I havent gotten a chance to dive to far into these late round sleepers yet.

Honestly the only guy I am fond of would be Lacy.
kethnaab

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

treat88 wrote:

I like Lacy. Don't think he is a game changing talent. How much is a dominant college OL, how much is the back himself? I see a guy that gets what's blocked and some occasional yards after contact, but not a guy that creates his own space or sets up the open field.

whoa....he's made fools out of the top 3 ILBs in this draft class. Complete fools out of them. He gets what's blocked, but he also runs with attitude and intensity. I've used the comparison before, I think it bears mentioning again, I see Marshawn Lynch without the character flaws.
rollins

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kethnaab wrote:
treat88 wrote:

I like Lacy. Don't think he is a game changing talent. How much is a dominant college OL, how much is the back himself? I see a guy that gets what's blocked and some occasional yards after contact, but not a guy that creates his own space or sets up the open field.

whoa....he's made fools out of the top 3 ILBs in this draft class. Complete fools out of them. He gets what's blocked, but he also runs with attitude and intensity. I've used the comparison before, I think it bears mentioning again, I see Marshawn Lynch without the character flaws.

I was gonna say steven jackson with less receiving ability, but the Lynch comparison is perfect.

As far as others saying the OL is the reason for his success. Go back and watch his games and focus on what he does when players are in perfect position to make plays. He can make a quick cut or use power to escape the tackler.
Ward4HOF

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it, but doubt Lacy falls that far. He will probably be taken 5-10 spots higher, as the prospects are graded right now.

I like Rambo as well and Bostic would be decent in the 4th. Speaking of ILBs, this year looks to have quite a few draftable "thumper" types...moreso than last year, IMO. Honestly, and without extensive knowledge as of yet, any of the below might fit the profile of a "Buck" type along w/ Bostic:

Manti Te'o -- 6'2" 255
Kevin Minter -- 6'1" 245
Nico Johnson -- 6'2" 249
Kevin Reddick -- 6'2" 246
A.J. Klein -- 6'1" 246

I'm sure there are some others I'm missing. I'm not saying all these would be good fits for us, but seems like last year it was slim pickin's after Hightower until the later rounds.

Props to Jamison on the sweet sig!!!
1BackInBlackFan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the 2-5 picks. Rambo has character concerns though but if he can keep his head on straight then he is a real good ballhawk.

I still feel Ansah is better suited as a 4-3 DE though.

^^The only QB in history with 6 TD passes in B2B games plus two 500 yard games. Props to UniversalAuthor for Big Ben's sig!
treat88

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rollins wrote:
kethnaab wrote:
treat88 wrote:

I was gonna say steven jackson with less receiving ability, but the Lynch comparison is perfect.

As far as others saying the OL is the reason for his success. Go back and watch his games and focus on what he does when players are in perfect position to make plays. He can make a quick cut or use power to escape the tackler.

I get the Lynch/Jackson comps.

I know it's tempting to compare prospects to the better talents in the league and if Lacy busts up the combine and runs sub 4.5 maybe he will earn a similar draft spot as Jackson/Lynch.

I will freely admit he could surprise, but I think more apt comparisons would be BJGE, Mikel LeShoure, or Michael Bush types. If he runs 4.6+ it's going to be real hard to be excited about him.

I don't think he's a first round talent. Doesn't mean he won't have productive years in the NFL, but I do think it means he is unlikely to be that workhorse pounding back that Lynch and Jackson are.

I hope the Lynch comp comes to fruition, particularly if he comes to Pitt. Just think that's a lofty comparison at this point.

For me, Lacy is far more in the "serviceable back" category rather than a "foundational player" as the names mentioned are.

"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself."
rollins

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

treat88 wrote:
rollins wrote:
kethnaab wrote:
treat88 wrote:

I get the Lynch/Jackson comps.

I know it's tempting to compare prospects to the better talents in the league and if Lacy busts up the combine and runs sub 4.5 maybe he will earn a similar draft spot as Jackson/Lynch.

I will freely admit he could surprise, but I think more apt comparisons would be BJGE, Mikel LeShoure, or Michael Bush types. If he runs 4.6+ it's going to be real hard to be excited about him.

I don't think he's a first round talent. Doesn't mean he won't have productive years in the NFL, but I do think it means he is unlikely to be that workhorse pounding back that Lynch and Jackson are.

I hope the Lynch comp comes to fruition, particularly if he comes to Pitt. Just think that's a lofty comparison at this point.

For me, Lacy is far more in the "serviceable back" category rather than a "foundational player" as the names mentioned are.

Lacy is much more elusive and quick than Michael Bush and BJGE and is much more powerful than Mikel LeShore. Thats just my take on it. I think the Lynch comparison is spot on, Im just mad I didnt put that together myself.
Gatoradus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't complain about Eddie Lacy, just feel like Jawan Jamison has more to contribute than Lacy would in 2nd round.
turtle28

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Rollins First mock of 2013 draft Reply with quote

rollins wrote:
I don't like this pick. I feel he is best fit as a 4-3, NOT 3-4 OLB and I feel you are reaching a round. IMO there will be better players available like Manti Te'o, Kenny Vaccaro, Matt Elam, Tyler Eifert, DeAndre Hopkins, Jesse Williams, Xaiver Rhodes, Barkevious Mingo, Sam Montgomery, TJ McDonald, Sam Montgomery, Justin Hunter, Tavon Austin
Quote:

i like the rest of the draft

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing I've noticed about Lacy that makes him special is his quick feet, it actually reminds me of Jerome, not because of his size or anything else but the thing that made Jerome as effective as he was that for such a big guy he had quick/light/nimble feet.

If he runs a 4.56-4.59 that should be just fine so long as he stays in shape and healthy. That foot quickness will make up for a lot and he does have exceptional short burst through the hole for such a big back.

I agree pretty much with Treat's thoughts on Ansah, I would definitely avoid him for us. He may have success elsewhere, but he is truly raw. The Moss comparison hits home as I was a fan back in the day based on true athleticism, Moss is/was a draft lesson for me. He comes to mind in regards to Hunt as well with the size and all the blocks.

...you have a forum resume?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: