Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Junior Seau's family is suing the NFL
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blink

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not saying the NFL is 100% guilt free in any of this but:

These players didn't just start playing football the day they joined the NFL. From pop warner to college you see people getting seriously injured. From past experience alone you know there's a reasonable expectation this job can negatively effect your health.

Why do you think they get paid millions of dollars? Why do you think they have a medical staff? People get hurt and you're getting paid millions to sacrifice your body.

I think it's rather naive to think that players didn't know there was a pretty hefty risk for the paycheck.
eagles101

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: coward. Reply with quote

StLunatic88 wrote:
eagles101 wrote:
StLunatic88 wrote:
eagles101 wrote:
SHONUFF wrote:
Suing the NFL, because he decided to play a sport with high speed collisions and in the end took the cowardly way out...They should blame Jr for him not being around anymore, not the NFL...

you could say that about anything then. you work at a factor that people die in, "well he should have quit he new the factor was dangerous." crash a car and die "he should have bought a new one, he knew the safety rating was bad"
And thats all people do in todays society.

Its always easier to blame someone else for things that go wrong, especially if you can get some money out of it...

right in todays society.....and by today i assume you mean the beginning of time....because assigning blame to people who willfully hide or ignore danger to there employees, customers, or people in general has happened since the beginning of written history.
Yea they did a great job of covering up how Violent of a game football really is. They painted it is a land of rainbows and cotton-candy filled with pillow fights & patty-cake

honestly....did you know within the past 5 years that football could leave you with severe brain damage and all the other things that they have come out with?

i doubt many people really knew how bad peoples mental capacity would be after a career of football. the nfl willfully hid the effects of concussions from players. people arnt suing because there knees are broken or they cant pick up there kids because there shoulders are jelly. they knew that risk...they did not know the risk of mental disability.

props to deadpulse
iPwn

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blink wrote:

These players didn't just start playing football the day they joined the NFL. From pop warner to college you see people getting seriously injured. From past experience alone you know there's a reasonable expectation this job can negatively effect your health.

Why do you think they get paid millions of dollars? Why do you think they have a medical staff? People get hurt and you're getting paid millions to sacrifice your body.

I think it's rather naive to think that players didn't know there was a pretty hefty risk for the paycheck.
It's not that they didn't know there was any risks, it's that allegedly the NFL knew about other risks that Pop Warner, high school teams, etc. and the players didn't know about, and apparently lied to the players about these risks.

It's kinda like if I ask you to climb a tall tree and save my cat. You know that you can fall out of the tree or get little bites from a cat. If, however, when you get up there, it turns out my "cat" is actually a Jaguar that mauls you and makes you fall down, I'm at fault for not telling you that.

- Best since day one -
The road to success is always under construction - Gus Bradley
Blink

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you're speaking as to relative guilt or innocence on the NFL in regards to the law. I was speaking more on a moral or common sense basis, that's all.

Good luck proving that case though btw. It'll be crazy tough to prove they knew enough information for there to even be a case, proving they actively with held such information is even more difficult. That's not even going into things like players knowing the risk, hiding injuries, etc...
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncos67 wrote:
Ridiculous. There's no standing to sue. You don't want these things to happen to you by CHOOSING to play a violent game? Maybe these college athletes should start taking their college classes a little more seriously instead of being big man on campus and then out of luck when they can't do ANYTHING but play football.

What a joke.

My thoughts exactly. Couldnt have put it better.
fretgod99

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blink wrote:
Well you're speaking as to relative guilt or innocence on the NFL in regards to the law. I was speaking more on a moral or common sense basis, that's all.

Good luck proving that case though btw. It'll be crazy tough to prove they knew enough information for there to even be a case, proving they actively with held such information is even more difficult. That's not even going into things like players knowing the risk, hiding injuries, etc...
Nobody is saying the NFL is absolutely going to lose. But I get tired of the people who respond about how ridiculous these types of suits are, etc. It's far more involved than people think, but that doesn't keep them from giving a simple answer.

MrDrew wrote:
Can somebody give me a good reason there's not a giant statue to fret somewhere?
Blink

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fretgod99 wrote:
Blink wrote:

Nobody is saying the NFL is absolutely going to lose. But I get tired of the people who respond about how ridiculous these types of suits are, etc. It's far more involved than people think, but that doesn't keep them from giving a simple answer.

Like I said I didn't answer at all as to if the NFL was guilty, nor did I say all of the lawsuits are jokes, just this particular case the family cites terrible ongoing behavior problems for 10 years and did absolutely nothing to help him, was sad because they are seeking to profit when they didn't seem to care too much when he was alive.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
Blink wrote:

It's not that they didn't know there was any risks, it's that allegedly the NFL knew about other risks that Pop Warner, high school teams, etc. and the players didn't know about, and apparently lied to the players about these risks.

It's kinda like if I ask you to climb a tall tree and save my cat. You know that you can fall out of the tree or get little bites from a cat. If, however, when you get up there, it turns out my "cat" is actually a Jaguar that mauls you and makes you fall down, I'm at fault for not telling you that.

I find it seriously hard to believe that only the NFL knew this and this wasnt shared medical knowledge in the medical community.

Sounds like a conspiracy theory.

And as I said before, even if these facts were known....do you really think Seau wouldve quit playing? These players are paid big dollars and know the risks. Even if they werent keen to every last detail, its not hard to figure out that a game of this nature could results in a severe brain injury. And even if they knew all the details I guarantee they would still be playing.

The details are known now. Do you see any players quitting because of it? No, and Seau wouldnt have either.

There is no standing ground to sue, and Seau's family just comes across as greedy.
Kiltman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/23/seau-lawsuit-outlines-symptoms-dating-back-to-mid-1990s/

So he displayed symptoms, yet kept playing for 10/15 years?

Really don't see why that's on anybody except Seau

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blink wrote:
fretgod99 wrote:
Blink wrote:

Like I said I didn't answer at all as to if the NFL was guilty, nor did I say all of the lawsuits are jokes, just this particular case the family cites terrible ongoing behavior problems for 10 years and did absolutely nothing to help him, was sad because they are seeking to profit when they didn't seem to care too much when he was alive.
How do you know the family did nothing to help him. How do you know they didn't plead w/ him to see a neurologist? The thing about suicide is, no matter what the warning signs were leading up to it, it always comes as a shock. Part of their case is that Seau was not mentally competent due to the long term effects of playing football and that the NFL was grossly negligent by disguising or hiding what they knew about the effects on the brain of playing football were.

And lets also get something else straight, this isn't a money grab, a wrongful death suit's monetary value is determined by the person's earning potential, Seau had already maxed his earning potential, this is about getting the NFL under oath about what they did and did not know about CTE. This is about forcing the NFL thru litigation to change the way these types of injuries are handled and to make the game safer.

Somebody in this thread has already put it best, you can't have "informed consent" w/o knowing all the facts up front. Let's get those facts out there, let's see what the NFL actually knew, and let's figure out the best way to make the game safe for our kids and grandkids to play.

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
iPwn wrote:
Blink wrote:

I find it seriously hard to believe that only the NFL knew this and this wasnt shared medical knowledge in the medical community.

Sounds like a conspiracy theory.

And as I said before, even if these facts were known....do you really think Seau wouldve quit playing? These players are paid big dollars and know the risks. Even if they werent keen to every last detail, its not hard to figure out that a game of this nature could results in a severe brain injury. And even if they knew all the details I guarantee they would still be playing.

The details are known now. Do you see any players quitting because of it? No, and Seau wouldnt have either.

There is no standing ground to sue, and Seau's family just comes across as greedy.
FACT: the NFL funded and conducted 3 different studies in the 90s on the longterm effects of subconcusive events and CTE. Those results, to this day, have never been released to the public.

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
broncos67 wrote:
Ridiculous. There's no standing to sue. You don't want these things to happen to you by CHOOSING to play a violent game? Maybe these college athletes should start taking their college classes a little more seriously instead of being big man on campus and then out of luck when they can't do ANYTHING but play football.

What a joke.

My thoughts exactly. Couldnt have put it better.

I also agree with this. College is a joke for most athletes. I'm lucky to be receiving such a great education so that when my baseball career ends (most likely after college), I will be set in my education and have a career very quickly.

BlaqOptic wrote:
I'd say he's [Dennis Pitta] the fourth best TE in the division... Cameron > Miller > Gresham > Eiffert = Pitta
fretgod99

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
You clearly don't know what standing means. Just because a lawsuit is unlikely to win doesn't mean there isn't standing to bring it. Just because a lawsuit is brought by people who may legitimately think a wrong was done to them doesn't mean it's simply a money grab.

However, it is easier to make assumptions and just run with that.

MrDrew wrote:
Can somebody give me a good reason there's not a giant statue to fret somewhere?
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont like this lawsuit one bit. Seau deserves a certain amount of care post football and the NFL should be responsible for providing that. However, the NFL should not be responsible for the actions of those players once they retire.

What is with trying to pass the blame in our society. No one wants to tackle the true issue, and that is mental health. Seau clearly suffered mentally, why should the NFL be responsible for what he chooses to do?
fretgod99

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
I dont like this lawsuit one bit. Seau deserves a certain amount of care post football and the NFL should be responsible for providing that. However, the NFL should not be responsible for the actions of those players once they retire.

What is with trying to pass the blame in our society. No one wants to tackle the true issue, and that is mental health. Seau clearly suffered mentally, why should the NFL be responsible for what he chooses to do?
You're begging the question. The argument is that what the NFL did (in hiding information, etc.) possibly contributed to the mental health issues which caused Seau to act as he did.

I'm not taking a stand on that one way or another, other than to say it will be a difficult case to prove. But to say people are just trying to pass blame elsewhere misses the point, in that the argument is that the NFL is responsible, at least to some degree.

MrDrew wrote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: