Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Junior Seau's family is suing the NFL
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jakuvious

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eagles101 wrote:
JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
I dont see them winning this though, players know the risks

i beleive that is the whole point. they know the risk to there knees, shoulders, or other body parts like that. i believe the case is that they willfully hid the effects of head injuries from players.

But do we really know that the NFL knew? Not saying I don't think they did, I honestly haven't read enough on it. But it isn't enough for the players to not know, you have to show that the NFL did and intentionally didn't reveal this to the players. And hypotheses aren't even. If it was only experimental or hypothetical at the time the NFL "knew" that really doesn't count. I mean, look at the plethora of things that MIGHT cause cancer. Lots of hypotheses become fruitless, so if the NFL didn't follow up on some theoretical connections that really isn't much of a deal. As I said, I don't know though.

Adopt-a-Chief: Travis "Better Than Tony Moeaki" Kelce
56 catches, 747 yards, 5 TDs, one very funny obscene gesture, and one fumble that wasn't a fumble
RavensfanRD

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RaidersAreOne wrote:
I hate this crap. The players CHOOSE to play in this league. Whatever happens on the field, is a direct cause stemming from THEIR decision of playing in the league. They could have left at anytime. Completely ridiculous and I am so sick of hearing about people blaming the NFL for their injuries and sicknesses when they choose that career path.

Quote for truth. You knew the dangers going in.

Ray Lewis wrote:
This it! This it, man! This is it! We goin' for a ring man!

Wise Old Man wrote:
Joe Flacco doesn't believe in miracles; miracles believe in Joe Flacco
Ketchup

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RavensfanRD wrote:
RaidersAreOne wrote:
I hate this crap. The players CHOOSE to play in this league. Whatever happens on the field, is a direct cause stemming from THEIR decision of playing in the league. They could have left at anytime. Completely ridiculous and I am so sick of hearing about people blaming the NFL for their injuries and sicknesses when they choose that career path.

Quote for truth. You knew the dangers going in.
Agree as well. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Kempes on the custom sig!
The Cryptkeeper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jakuvious wrote:

But do we really know that the NFL knew? Not saying I don't think they did, I honestly haven't read enough on it. But it isn't enough for the players to not know, you have to show that the NFL did and intentionally didn't reveal this to the players. And hypotheses aren't even. If it was only experimental or hypothetical at the time the NFL "knew" that really doesn't count. I mean, look at the plethora of things that MIGHT cause cancer. Lots of hypotheses become fruitless, so if the NFL didn't follow up on some theoretical connections that really isn't much of a deal. As I said, I don't know though.

There's a lot of damning written and video evidence of the NFL and its doctors denying there was even a link between concussions, long term head trauma, and CTE, among other things. There's footage from as recently as a few years ago showing it. They also hired their own experts to dispute the findings from experts in concussion/CTE research in medical journals. This wouldn't have been a problem if other doctors took the same viewpoint; the only problem is none of them did except the one paid by the NFL.

The whole time, the NFL was still putting players back in the same game after they'd been knocked unconscious.

It's a tougher lawsuit for the older guys from the 70's and such because the evidence wasn't there. The problem for the NFL is that there was an overlap between substantial scientific evidence coming to light and them denying it, and that's where they'll be in trouble.
Ketchup

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cryptkeeper wrote:
Jakuvious wrote:

There's a lot of damning written and video evidence of the NFL and its doctors denying there was even a link between concussions, long term head trauma, and CTE, among other things. There's footage from as recently as a few years ago showing it. They also hired their own experts to dispute the findings from experts in concussion/CTE research in medical journals. This wouldn't have been a problem if other doctors took the same viewpoint; the only problem is none of them did except the one paid by the NFL.

The whole time, the NFL was still putting players back in the same game after they'd been knocked unconscious.

It's a tougher lawsuit for the older guys from the 70's and such because the evidence wasn't there. The problem for the NFL is that there was an overlap between substantial scientific evidence coming to light and them denying it, and that's where they'll be in trouble.
Theres also tons of former players saying they lied to team doctors so they could go back in and just as many players saying they would still play football knowing what they know now.

Kempes on the custom sig!
The Cryptkeeper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ketchup wrote:
Theres also tons of former players saying they lied to team doctors so they could go back in and just as many players saying they would still play football knowing what they know now.

That's true.

Still, 10 guys saying they would do the same again doesn't make it right for the 1 who wouldn't. The league should've been honest about the risks as they found them out and let the players decide if they wanted to take it. They were too concerned about their image and marketability to do so, so they lied.
eagles101

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jakuvious wrote:
eagles101 wrote:
JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
I dont see them winning this though, players know the risks

i beleive that is the whole point. they know the risk to there knees, shoulders, or other body parts like that. i believe the case is that they willfully hid the effects of head injuries from players.

thats what they are trying to prove. my guess is they will subpoena the results from the test the NFL had on the effects of head injuries.

but everyone keeps saying "you know the risk of football" but how many people actually knew the effects of playing on the brain before all the info came out in the last 3 years? answer nobody, because even the medical community didnt know. (besides possibly the ones who preformed test for the NFL) so no they did not know the risk.

I don't understand most of that, but I can tell it's probably inaccurate.
iPwn

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jakuvious wrote:

The other case, the one with 2,000 former employees all suing the NFL, is contending that was the case. From what I remember, the case alleges that in the early 90's (I may be wrong about it being the early 90's, but that's from memory) the NFL was approached with a large amount of new research (peer reviewed and all of that) that showed that sub-concussive hits and the like were causing damage to the players. It is then being argued that the NFL took this research and hid it from the players. And then not only hid it from the players, it's being alleged that they lied to the players and told them that there was nothing to worry about because the type of strikes to the brain that they sustained (inside a "protected" helmet) were wholly different from the types of strikes that a boxer would face, because they're unprotected blows..

The players allegedly have, as evidence, members of the research team that sent this information to the NFL as well as documents that the NFL sent to players (as late as 2007) that explicitly state that they have nothing to worry about regarding this.

- Best since day one -
It may not be easy, but we ain't riding no tire fire merry-go-round.
- Gus Bradley
DallasPride28

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's ridiculous. The players know what the risks are. You don't think players know that playing a violent game doesn't result in injuries? Give me a break. Yeah its sad and its being turned into a money grab for the family but I don't see anything coming of it.

Adopt-A-Cowboy(Dez Bryant)
46 catches, 706 yards, 7 touchdown, 15.3 average
The Cryptkeeper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DallasPride28 wrote:
That's ridiculous. The players know what the risks are. You don't think players know that playing a violent game doesn't result in injuries? Give me a break. Yeah its sad and its being turned into a money grab for the family but I don't see anything coming of it.

Of course the NFL is dangerous. So why should the NFL get a free pass for lying about it? Denying something that obvious is more insulting than the players' taking them to court over it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4NbU_HaB3Y
DontTazeMeBro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope the NFL doesn't settle. I really want to see them go to court and rail road one of these families. Drag up every bit of evidence in Seau's entire life that would indicate he was just deeply disturbed and have an ugly drawn out court case. Make other people who want to go to court think twice.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really wish people understood what this case is really about, and how it has absolutely nothing to do w/ the family wanting money.

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery
DontTazeMeBro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
I really wish people understood what this case is really about, and how it has absolutely nothing to do w/ the family wanting money.

They're going after NFL Films. That's ridiculous and wreaks of lawyer and greedy family trying to squeeze every single penny out of this.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cryptkeeper wrote:
DallasPride28 wrote:

Of course the NFL is dangerous. So why should the NFL get a free pass for lying about it? Denying something that obvious is more insulting than the players' taking them to court over it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4NbU_HaB3Y

Seriously, if everyone 'knew the risks' why would the NFL setup a panel to continuously lie about it for 15 years? It takes a particularly comical reading to think that.
DontTazeMeBro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They know the risks now yet no one is walking away.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: