Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Matt Flynn expected to be cut????
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ketchup

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skrILL wrote:
vike daddy wrote:
DontTazeMeBro wrote:
Doesn't make any sense to have a backup QB make over $5 million a year.

but if you look at what the team is paying their top two QB's collectively, it's not that much. just backwards.

The problem is Wilson is gonna want a new contract real soon. Although it would only be for one year, it wouldn't be worth it for the Seahawks to be paying two QB's starter money.
Under the new CBA, players can't get renegotiated contracts until after their 3rd season. Wilson HAS to stay on his rookie deal until the 2014 season is over.

Kempes on the custom sig!
GmenSeattle

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea I have no idea why people think Seattle would cut him. Sure he lost the competition to start to Wilson but Wilson is also going to be one of the top ROTY candidates and he played well in the playoffs. Not like he got bumped to the bench for a Tebow/Sanchez.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ketchup wrote:
skrILL wrote:
vike daddy wrote:
DontTazeMeBro wrote:
Doesn't make any sense to have a backup QB make over $5 million a year.

but if you look at what the team is paying their top two QB's collectively, it's not that much. just backwards.

The problem is Wilson is gonna want a new contract real soon. Although it would only be for one year, it wouldn't be worth it for the Seahawks to be paying two QB's starter money.
Under the new CBA, players can't get renegotiated contracts until after their 3rd season. Wilson HAS to stay on his rookie deal until the 2014 season is over.

I thought it was after the second season. I stand corrected.

N E W Y O R K J E T S
CriminalMind

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a 4th is common ground between a)what SEA would accept and b) what a Team would give up

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seahawks won't cut Flynn. If they can't get what they want in a trade, they'll keep him. Not a bad thing to keep two starting QB's on the team.

Also remember, the Seahawks could trade away draft picks with Flynn as well. We have 10 for the upcoming Draft and Pete Carrol has stated he has no idea how 10 new guys are going to make this team.

I've been saying since October that Flynn will probably land in NY with the Jets. Even more possible now that their new GM came from Seattle.

Legion of Boom!
MARIO MANGELINI

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boom! wrote:
Seahawks won't cut Flynn. If they can't get what they want in a trade, they'll keep him. Not a bad thing to keep two starting QB's on the team.

Also remember, the Seahawks could trade away draft picks with Flynn as well. We have 10 for the upcoming Draft and Pete Carrol has stated he has no idea how 10 new guys are going to make this team.

I've been saying since October that Flynn will probably land in NY with the Jets. Even more possible now that their new GM came from Seattle.

All I do know about this statement is that the bolded part is wrong, no offense meant of course. JS loves draft picks, and we find late round steals like Richard Sherman, Kam Chancellor, Russell Wilson, ect, not just because of superior scouting, but a high # of picks. Consider this scenario for a second.

The Seahawks had 9 picks in the 2011 draft. Most Seahawk fans know that with their 5th rounder they selected Richard Sherman. But, you know who they selected before they selected Richard Sherman? Kris Durham a WR who is no longer on the team. They had Kris Durham rated higher than Sherman on their draft board basically. If they don't have that Sherman pick, it's very likely he doesn't slide to our next pick.

I think JS's draft philosophy is "the more shots I have, the more likely I'll score" with shots being draft picks and scoring being landing the next big time player. So I don't think Schneider is going to trade away not even a 7th rounder, because you never know when you're trading away the next Richard Sherman or just a dumb 7th rounder. Knowing our FO, it could definitely be the 1st option.

Also, I like late round picks because they are cheap. Saves cap room for the megastars you need to resign, and some end up being good (Sherman, Kam, Wilson, ect.........).
1BackInBlackFan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One great start against a poor pass defense and somehow this guy became a hot commodity last offseason.

Then he signs a nice sized contract to become the starter and lost out to a rookie.

I just don't see the appeal in him that others do.

Many thanks to UniversalAuthor for Big Ben's sig
Boom!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MARIO MANGELINI wrote:
Boom! wrote:

All I do know about this statement is that the bolded part is wrong, no offense meant of course. JS loves draft picks, and we find late round steals like Richard Sherman, Kam Chancellor, Russell Wilson, ect, not just because of superior scouting, but a high # of picks. Consider this scenario for a second.

The Seahawks had 9 picks in the 2011 draft. Most Seahawk fans know that with their 5th rounder they selected Richard Sherman. But, you know who they selected before they selected Richard Sherman? Kris Durham a WR who is no longer on the team. They had Kris Durham rated higher than Sherman on their draft board basically. If they don't have that Sherman pick, it's very likely he doesn't slide to our next pick.

I think JS's draft philosophy is "the more shots I have, the more likely I'll score" with shots being draft picks and scoring being landing the next big time player. So I don't think Schneider is going to trade away not even a 7th rounder, because you never know when you're trading away the next Richard Sherman or just a dumb 7th rounder. Knowing our FO, it could definitely be the 1st option.

Also, I like late round picks because they are cheap. Saves cap room for the megastars you need to resign, and some end up being good (Sherman, Kam, Wilson, ect.........).

Who says we'd be losing draft picks. You could trade draft picks for more draft picks in next year's draft or higher picks in this draft. We wouldn't necessarily be just giving up draft picks for the heck of it.

Legion of Boom!
MARIO MANGELINI

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boom! wrote:
MARIO MANGELINI wrote:
Boom! wrote:

Who says we'd be losing draft picks. You could trade draft picks for more draft picks in next year's draft or higher picks in this draft. We wouldn't necessarily be just giving up draft picks for the heck of it.

I think I misunderstood your argument at first lol. Still, when it comes to JS, I think he's a quantity > quality when it comes to draft picks. Any player can be elite at any spot of the draft, so he wants to get as many players as he can.
imani

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

with what seattle has gotten out of 4th and 5th round picks lately, i'd be very upset if we cut him. At least trade him for peanuts so we dont have to pay him

Russell Wilson Fan since July 2012
Gmen4ev

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

imani wrote:
with what seattle has gotten out of 4th and 5th round picks lately, i'd be very upset if we cut him. At least trade him for peanuts so we dont have to pay him

Yea this would be my thought process if I were to get rid of the guy.

But I really dont want to give you guys any more draft picks Laughing

Not a Knicks fan
TheOsprey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not gonna happen. Take that to the bank. Flynn is very likely to get traded, but if no one wants to cough up a decent pick, we keep him. We're paying less for Flynn and Wilson together, than the Jets are paying for Mark Sanchez, by himself and we're well under the salary cap. It would make NO sense to cut him.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: