Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Researchers find tau protein in living NFL players
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Kellerman


Joined: 16 May 2010
Posts: 3519
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
titanrick wrote:
What happens if the results from a combine "baseline" test already show a build-up of tau in the brain? It's a sad reality, but they've found CTE in college and (I'm pretty sure) high school players before, post-mordem. So you may go in to determine a baseline level and find out that you're already past the point of playing safely in the NFL.
What happens at the combine when they do an MRI and they find that a knee is already bone on bone, this is really no different. If you can't clear medically you don't get to play in the NFL.


There's a difference between a joint injury and damage to the most important part of your body, the brain. Your knee doesn't house your memories, your personality, etc.

Moreover, a knee can be fixed, or you could just live a normal live, except for being able to play sports. A brain is extremely hard to fix, and much harder to live without.
_________________

#97 Everson Griffin: 27 tackles : 5.5 sacks : 1 FF ; 16 games played
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JaguarCrazy2832


Joined: 28 Jun 2008
Posts: 80330
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not surprising, but its really sad
_________________


Victor Cruz Pun wrote:
BornToFly wrote:
Yes, I went to high school with Tony Romo


Did he do good on the homework and quizzes but choke on the tests?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
titanrick


Moderator
FF Fanatic
Joined: 17 Jan 2005
Posts: 11815
Location: Denver, CO
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
What happens at the combine when they do an MRI and they find that a knee is already bone on bone, this is really no different. If you can't clear medically you don't get to play in the NFL.


That sounds simple. I agree there are similarities there. I think there is also a significant difference between telling a 20 year old, "You know that constant pain you're feeling in your knee? That's only going to get worse" and, "Although you've never had any symptoms, you shouldn't take a job that could earn you tens of millions of dollars."

We absolutely have to use technology to make sure 20 year olds have as much information as possible to make the best decision. But let's be real - how many kids are going to decline that opportunity? So do we (as NFL fans, or even as a society) just throw our hands in the air and sleep better at night knowing that the 20 year old who eventually shot himself and his family at age 40 signed a waiver stating he was aware of the risks of his growing brain trauma? Doesn't sound like a satisfactory answer to me.

I think the biggest gain here may come in the pursuit of a cure. If we couldn't even determine who among the living had CTE prior to this discovery, we're now able to begin testing methods to cure it and see if those are working.
_________________


Congrats, Seahawk fans!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The Cryptkeeper


Joined: 14 Jan 2008
Posts: 2464
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blink wrote:
This could definitely change things.

That being said the NFL isn't going anywhere. Its a multibillion dollar industry, which greatly effects other multibillion dollar industries(food, beer, tv, retail, etc) it has too great of an impact on our community.

People die every day in mines and on oil rigs, we aren't going to ban those anytime soon. Eventually people will have to just sign something saying they fully know the risks and won't sue if anything happens. I guarantee you most players will not turn down millions of dollars. Just my opinion.


I agree that the NFL isn't going to be going out of business.

I think what this will affect is the youth pipeline they've invested heavily in. As long as they're honest about the risks, lawsuits like the one they're facing now from ex-players won't be nearly the headache they are now for the league.

The problem from the NFL's standpoint is that, while that's fine for current players, it will certainly affect football participation at the youth, middle, and high school levels.

For a similar case study, the history of boxing in the U.S. followed a similar arc. It was once the most popular sport, along with baseball, from a participation standpoint, along with being the biggest money sport. To keep it short, a number of factors contributed, but a primary factor of boxing's downfall was its elimination from schools, which commonly had boxing teams. It was a combination of the health risks and the increase liability costs to carry it that dramatically reduced the schools and gyms that offered it, reducing participation dramatically. This trend was already happening by the 1960's.

I believe the wheels are in motion for something similar to happen with football. The NFL will exist, but the NCAA and NFL will have a smaller potential talent pool to pick from. It will take a long time to play out and it won't happen overnight.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Superman(DH23)


Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 18212
Location: Abdi on the sick sig
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

titanrick wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
What happens at the combine when they do an MRI and they find that a knee is already bone on bone, this is really no different. If you can't clear medically you don't get to play in the NFL.


That sounds simple. I agree there are similarities there. I think there is also a significant difference between telling a 20 year old, "You know that constant pain you're feeling in your knee? That's only going to get worse" and, "Although you've never had any symptoms, you shouldn't take a job that could earn you tens of millions of dollars."

We absolutely have to use technology to make sure 20 year olds have as much information as possible to make the best decision. But let's be real - how many kids are going to decline that opportunity? So do we (as NFL fans, or even as a society) just throw our hands in the air and sleep better at night knowing that the 20 year old who eventually shot himself and his family at age 40 signed a waiver stating he was aware of the risks of his growing brain trauma? Doesn't sound like a satisfactory answer to me.

I think the biggest gain here may come in the pursuit of a cure. If we couldn't even determine who among the living had CTE prior to this discovery, we're now able to begin testing methods to cure it and see if those are working.
For me as a former player, and a parent, its real simple. Doctors have to make the decision for the players. Yeah it sux that a 20 yo will miss out on the opportunity to make millions of dollars. I really don't care, they will be thankful when they get to play w/ their kids and their grandkids. You guys are saying yourselfs this isn't joint issues, this is the brain, this can never be fixed. If you aren't comfortable clearing a guy medically to play b/c of a knee or back issue, then why should this be any different. If you can't clear medically you don't play, its that simple.
_________________

OneBadCat wrote:
Ahah Okay first of all Gamble was lost to IR this year but when healthy he proved to be 2nd only to Revis last season.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Superman(DH23)


Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 18212
Location: Abdi on the sick sig
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kellerman wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
titanrick wrote:
What happens if the results from a combine "baseline" test already show a build-up of tau in the brain? It's a sad reality, but they've found CTE in college and (I'm pretty sure) high school players before, post-mordem. So you may go in to determine a baseline level and find out that you're already past the point of playing safely in the NFL.
What happens at the combine when they do an MRI and they find that a knee is already bone on bone, this is really no different. If you can't clear medically you don't get to play in the NFL.


There's a difference between a joint injury and damage to the most important part of your body, the brain. Your knee doesn't house your memories, your personality, etc.

Moreover, a knee can be fixed, or you could just live a normal live, except for being able to play sports. A brain is extremely hard to fix, and much harder to live without.
I think you missed the point of I what I wrote. If you can't clear medically (joints, back, tissue, etc... or brain) you don't get to make millions playing a kids game.
_________________

OneBadCat wrote:
Ahah Okay first of all Gamble was lost to IR this year but when healthy he proved to be 2nd only to Revis last season.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bednarik60


Joined: 23 Mar 2007
Posts: 32955
Location: Jortland, Oregon<3
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is really sad and scary Crying or Very sad .. Its the nature of the sport and some are always going to be down to risk there well being for the sport, the money, the fame, but i imagine if a test was available, a lot of guys would walk away from the game just like that.
_________________

Sig/Art by The Great Silo
#championCHIP #CHIPlife #Sparkles
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Kellerman


Joined: 16 May 2010
Posts: 3519
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
Kellerman wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
titanrick wrote:
What happens if the results from a combine "baseline" test already show a build-up of tau in the brain? It's a sad reality, but they've found CTE in college and (I'm pretty sure) high school players before, post-mordem. So you may go in to determine a baseline level and find out that you're already past the point of playing safely in the NFL.
What happens at the combine when they do an MRI and they find that a knee is already bone on bone, this is really no different. If you can't clear medically you don't get to play in the NFL.


There's a difference between a joint injury and damage to the most important part of your body, the brain. Your knee doesn't house your memories, your personality, etc.

Moreover, a knee can be fixed, or you could just live a normal live, except for being able to play sports. A brain is extremely hard to fix, and much harder to live without.
I think you missed the point of I what I wrote. If you can't clear medically (joints, back, tissue, etc... or brain) you don't get to make millions playing a kids game.


My bad.
_________________

#97 Everson Griffin: 27 tackles : 5.5 sacks : 1 FF ; 16 games played
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
titanrick


Moderator
FF Fanatic
Joined: 17 Jan 2005
Posts: 11815
Location: Denver, CO
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
titanrick wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
What happens at the combine when they do an MRI and they find that a knee is already bone on bone, this is really no different. If you can't clear medically you don't get to play in the NFL.


That sounds simple. I agree there are similarities there. I think there is also a significant difference between telling a 20 year old, "You know that constant pain you're feeling in your knee? That's only going to get worse" and, "Although you've never had any symptoms, you shouldn't take a job that could earn you tens of millions of dollars."

We absolutely have to use technology to make sure 20 year olds have as much information as possible to make the best decision. But let's be real - how many kids are going to decline that opportunity? So do we (as NFL fans, or even as a society) just throw our hands in the air and sleep better at night knowing that the 20 year old who eventually shot himself and his family at age 40 signed a waiver stating he was aware of the risks of his growing brain trauma? Doesn't sound like a satisfactory answer to me.

I think the biggest gain here may come in the pursuit of a cure. If we couldn't even determine who among the living had CTE prior to this discovery, we're now able to begin testing methods to cure it and see if those are working.
For me as a former player, and a parent, its real simple. Doctors have to make the decision for the players. Yeah it sux that a 20 yo will miss out on the opportunity to make millions of dollars. I really don't care, they will be thankful when they get to play w/ their kids and their grandkids. You guys are saying yourselfs this isn't joint issues, this is the brain, this can never be fixed. If you aren't comfortable clearing a guy medically to play b/c of a knee or back issue, then why should this be any different. If you can't clear medically you don't play, its that simple.


I agree with the theory but putting it into practice is much more complicated. I dont think this is like cancer where the test results are either positive or negative. Who decides how much tau protein is too much? What do you do if doctors can't even agree on a quantitative measure?

It's fantastic news - no doubt. But it opens up a whole lot of ethical and legal questions.
_________________


Congrats, Seahawk fans!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group