Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

What Movie Are You Watching? v. 12
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 96, 97, 98, 99  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CJ4life

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thrILL! wrote:
Lockout

Hopefully it's a decent action flick. Cool concept and I like Guy Pearce. So far visually it's pretty bugged out. Script and dialogue very sketchy tho. I love Leon: The Professional but after that Besson is mainly miss.

Pearce is great. Everything else about it is pretty terrible. Like you said, the concept is pretty cool, but the execution of it was pretty average to me. If you want a ridiculously cheesy movie for a boring afternoon though, it might hit the spot.

driftwood wrote:
haggis wrote:
i bet if you had sould after he jumped a little cough here and there usually follow

lol, wait what?
tinoynk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mission27 wrote:
Cosmopolis really picked up steam as it went along and the last third was pure perfection. I've never seen a Robert Pattison movie before and I was kind of surprised to see that he could act.

And Paul Giamatti. Shocked

Maybe the first really positive thing I've heard about this film. I like Cronenberg, I've downloaded it and I'm tempted to give it a shot, especially since it has a reasonable critics score on RT. But I've heard its very dense and everything, and Pattinson isn't the kind of actor who tips the scales in the direction of me wanting to see a movie. Since I know what I'm getting myself into I'll probably check it out at some point.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CJ4life wrote:
thrILL! wrote:
Lockout

Hopefully it's a decent action flick. Cool concept and I like Guy Pearce. So far visually it's pretty bugged out. Script and dialogue very sketchy tho. I love Leon: The Professional but after that Besson is mainly miss.

Pearce is great. Everything else about it is pretty terrible. Like you said, the concept is pretty cool, but the execution of it was pretty average to me. If you want a ridiculously cheesy movie for a boring afternoon though, it might hit the spot.

That would have been such a terrible movie if Guy Pearce hadn't carried it on his back. Even with him giving a very charismatic and entertaining performance it was still just mediocre, but you have to appreciate how much he killed it in that role.

-There are no men like me, only me.
-"Our life is what our thoughts make it" - Marcus Aurelius
keysersoze3421

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tinoynk wrote:
mission27 wrote:
Cosmopolis really picked up steam as it went along and the last third was pure perfection. I've never seen a Robert Pattison movie before and I was kind of surprised to see that he could act.

Maybe the first really positive thing I've heard about this film. I like Cronenberg, I've downloaded it and I'm tempted to give it a shot, especially since it has a reasonable critics score on RT. But I've heard its very dense and everything, and Pattinson isn't the kind of actor who tips the scales in the direction of me wanting to see a movie. Since I know what I'm getting myself into I'll probably check it out at some point.

Good luck man. Refer to my post a few pages back about things that happen in Cosmopolis that may deter you.

animaltested wrote:
On a scale from Kitten to Hitler, being close minded about music, and only listening to one or two genres is about a Boss Tweed.
THE DUKE

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

keysersoze3421 wrote:
tinoynk wrote:
mission27 wrote:

And Paul Giamatti. :shock:

Good luck man. Refer to my post a few pages back about things that happen in Cosmopolis that may deter you.

Cosmopolis was a train wreck and yet also by far the best acting I have seen from Robert Pattinson.

mission27

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tinoynk wrote:
mission27 wrote:

I'll say this: you have to give it a chance. Don't turn it off five minutes in. I was iffy for about half an hour as to whether I actually wanted to finish watching it. But it really picks up and the last scene (about 15 minutes long) is so, so good. It puts a lot of what happens in the beginning of the film into perspective. Honestly one of the five best movies I've seen this year.

**SPOILERS**

keyser, I went back and read your post. I'm not David Cronenberg so I can't say for sure how much of it is carried over from the novel for purely comedic effect and how much is an integral part of his vision for the film. I haven't read the novel but I'd like to do so. My personal interpretation, though:

I think it's an off-kilter film because it's a film about off-kilter people. From a Maslowian standpoint the characters in Cosmopolis - particularly Pattinson's character - have secured their low level material needs. Foremost in their mind is a desire to fit in, to find deeper meaning, to be emotionally happy. That describes the 21st century American knowledge worker at any level of hierarchy but both Pattison and Giamatti play intellectually superior and basically unstable people who take this inability to satisfy any more of their needs and turn to sociopathic behavior.

I assume the dialogue in the film is not supposed to be taken seriously. It's a carryover from stream of consciousness literary narratives. The characters just say what they're thinking out loud as kind of cinematic device. Nobody goes around talking about their body fat percentage and their asymmetrical prostate (except Patrick Bateman, maybe) but that's really what Pattinson is thinking. It's absurd and surreal but it worked for me. It's also interesting what Giamatti says near the end of the film. Something like "We all have a lot of ideas. A hundred a minute. We don't have to take them all seriously." But Pattinson and Giamatti don't have a filter and neither does the screenplay.

Pattison is rich and successful and he's acomplished everything he hopes to accomplish and he's only 28 and so that leaves him with this immense feeling of emptiness. He's obsessed with attaining some degree of immortality. But in reality there is little he can do, marginally, to protect himself against the threat of heart disease or cancer or whatever. He can hire a bodyguard and have an indestructible limo erected, custom built. But people die. An acquaintance who is also rich and successful dies. He wasn't shot, he just died, despite presumably top notch medical care. It happens.

Pattinson can't achieve immortality. He can't build a meaningful relationship with his spouse. He doesn't feel like a man. He can't have a sexual relationship with his wife and by extension children and the only real evolutionary immortality. He can't find any satisfaction. He descends into the absurd on one hand; on the other he systematically allows his cushion to disintegrate. He allows his life to fall apart because maybe if that happens he'll have found something to strive for. And when he reaches rock bottom and he's orchestrated this collapse and he feels exactly the same he purposefully puts his life in danger. He kills his bodyguard. He puts himself face to face with a man who is trying to kill him. A man who is jealous of Pattinson's perceive fulfillment.

That also puts him face to face with his foil and he's forced to confront something he didn't want to confront. He says he doesn't want to be a reasonable, rational, realistic one. He tells Giamatti that violence has to be grounded in the physical and the real even though none of his own actions have been, especially the violent ones. The book and film are supposed to be modeled after Ulysses and the heroes journey. Pattinson is seeking the antithesis of nothing and he finds it, sort of, in the last 15 minutes of the film but only by destroying himself in every conceivable way. Tearing himself down to low level needs.

I guess ultimately Cronenberg (and DeLillo) attempt to use this study of one man as a broader social commentary. The rat as currency. Currency is something we give meaning to. It's a social economic construct. It's not grounded in the physical. It's not material. If we gave the same meaning to rats the piles of dead rats would spread disease. Presumably the current global monetary system does the same at some level. I don't think I agree with the politics but it's a still a fascinating film.

#JDI
keysersoze3421

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watching it felt like reading DeLillo. You nailed the stream of consciousness bit, but maybe I've just never felt that his books should be made into films. They have very novel-unique qualities that are poorly replicated on screen. It's really hard for actors to sell the ramblings and the dialogue well verbally, but it works in print for whatever reason. I guess to sum it up, I don't like how much the movie talks at me. It's like the plot is totally superfluous even if it adds context. It's not too difficult to follow, but honestly, I just found myself bored often.

animaltested wrote:
On a scale from Kitten to Hitler, being close minded about music, and only listening to one or two genres is about a Boss Tweed.
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was talking to a co-worker about Bullet Tooth Tony. By law, I have to watch Snatch tonight.

iPwn, Kempes and Flaccomania: The official sig makers for THE ET80!
mission27

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keysersoze3421 wrote:
I guess to sum it up, I don't like how much the movie talks at me.

Makes sense. I would generally agree. I thought I agreed, like I said, for probably half an hour. It worked for me here but I understand why it turned a lot of people off. It felt like Pattinson and Cronenberg had a great deal of control over the material, especially in the third act, and I think that really helped me accept the stylistic abnormalities. It might have been a different experience had I read the novel beforehand.

I'm curious, have you read Cosmopolis? It seems like you're saying you think this nails DeLillo's tone but I wonder how close of an adaptation it really is. Reminds me a bit of American Psycho which I think works a lot better as a stream of consciousness narrative in novel form and is only able to survive cinematically because of Bale's performance and Haron's direction. Though Haron goes to greater lengths to mold her source material into a clean hour and half plot.

#JDI
thrILL!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE DUKE wrote:
CJ4life wrote:
thrILL! wrote:
Lockout

That would have been such a terrible movie if Guy Pearce hadn't carried it on his back. Even with him giving a very charismatic and entertaining performance it was still just mediocre, but you have to appreciate how much he killed it in that role.

It still was a terrible movie but Pearce gave a Herculean effort to salvage it. Great one-liners but an absolute mess beyond him. WTF was that motorcycle chase near the beg? Shocked

Crate Diggin': Hip Hop 101 w/ thrILL! & Willink
THE DUKE

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RashaanSalaami

Global Moderator
Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keysersoze3421 wrote:
Watching it felt like reading DeLillo. You nailed the stream of consciousness bit, but maybe I've just never felt that his books should be made into films. They have very novel-unique qualities that are poorly replicated on screen. It's really hard for actors to sell the ramblings and the dialogue well verbally, but it works in print for whatever reason. I guess to sum it up, I don't like how much the movie talks at me. It's like the plot is totally superfluous even if it adds context. It's not too difficult to follow, but honestly, I just found myself bored often.

Haven't read the source material, but yeah it seems like it wasn't meant to be put to the big screen. Totally boring in every way imaginable. The last 15 minutes was easily the strongest and definitely a great conclusion to the movie, but I found myself counting minutes...that's especially bad when you're watching it in theaters.
holt_bruce81

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What should I watch tonight? Seven Psychopaths, Looper or Pitch Perfect(friends suggestion)
RamRod

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

holt_bruce81 wrote:
What should I watch tonight? Seven Psychopaths, Looper or Pitch Perfect(friends suggestion)

I love both Looper and Pitch Perfect. Haven't seen Seven Psychopaths.
THE DUKE

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

holt_bruce81 wrote:

Haven't seen SP, loved Looper, Pitch Perfect average imo but a good choice if you are watching with a lady friend.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 96, 97, 98, 99  Next
Page 97 of 99

Jump to: