Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Pro-Bowl / League - Ratliff Arrested!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Football Mensa wrote:
textaz03 wrote:
Reports surfacing this morning that Ratliffs BAC was .16 and that the blood draw was 2 hours after the accident. 2 hours would mean his BAC at time of accident was approx. .20!!

A man of His size would have had to consume approx 15-20 drink in the 3 hours prior to his accident.

Cut him. Take the cap hit and be done. Time to move on.

Why?

I mean other than the "RKG" crap that's been blown about as some culture change that I'm not buying.

Jared Allen has 2 or 3 DUIs and is still an elite NFL player.

Unless you really believe Garrett's RKG mantra, the only reason to cut Ratliff is if you think we're a better team without him or that his play isn't worth $1m b/c that's all you're getting by trading/cutting him.

Sig courtesy of mack.
Football Mensa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:
Football Mensa wrote:
textaz03 wrote:
Reports surfacing this morning that Ratliffs BAC was .16 and that the blood draw was 2 hours after the accident. 2 hours would mean his BAC at time of accident was approx. .20!!

A man of His size would have had to consume approx 15-20 drink in the 3 hours prior to his accident.

Why?

I mean other than the "RKG" crap that's been blown about as some culture change that I'm not buying.

Unless you really believe Garrett's RKG mantra, the only reason to cut Ratliff is if you think we're a better team without him or that his play isn't worth $1m b/c that's all you're getting by trading/cutting him.

LOL @ rkg. That's funny if you think I subscribe to that crap. I have wanted to let Rat go for two years. He isn't worth what he is getting paid and the contract was dumb to begin with. He is always injured and Jerry is gonna have to pay the piper at some point for such a dumb contract. He and Spencer should be the first 2 out the door in regards to the salary cap with Free close behind.
Northland

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DallasPride28 wrote:
I just don't see why we would keep him. He is often injured or not the same player he was a while back. Need some young blood to take his place. If were suppose to buy into Garrett's idea of the players he wants on this team then we have to cut him.

This is where confusion abounds re what is RKG all about? And I am guilty of not really knowing what RKG is all about as well.

I can understand not wanting to draft a kid who has a known character issue that has proven conclusively to be detrimental to his team. I would tend to steer clear of those guys. I wouldn't trade for a player, or sign a player who has a similar history.

But let's look at Ratliff. When healthy he has proven to be a productive player. I think if healthy he could be a valuable member of the D Line in Kiffin's new defense. I had no knowledge of a prior drinking problem with Ratliff. He also had the run in with Jerry during the season. Maybe he needs a combination of counselling, fine and/or suspension. But I would like to see him given the opportunity to compete for a role if healthy for the reasons I mention above. If he is breaking down physically and is unable to compete I will be the first to say cut him.

I don't think RKG is a member of our team has a problem so we will just get rid of him because it is not RKG. That is too simple. There has to be more to RKG than that.
matt79511

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There isn't more to RKG than that. In fact, there's barely anything to RKG. It's just Garrett's mantra, his message, his shtick. Every coach has one, and eventually it wears out. It's neither a culture change nor a joke- it's just a thing.

What will define Garrett as coach are his personnel decisions and how he uses his personnel- not his philosophy of having the "right kinda guys", so intentionally vague that it can define just about anyone.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:
Football Mensa wrote:
textaz03 wrote:

Why?

Honestly, if Ray Lewis can hold up the Lombardi Trophy a second time, and seems to be a confidant to Goodell, then I wouldn't hit the panic button on Ratliff.
RatherBeHuntin'

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt79511 wrote:
There isn't more to RKG than that. In fact, there's barely anything to RKG. It's just Garrett's mantra, his message, his shtick. Every coach has one, and eventually it wears out. It's neither a culture change nor a joke- it's just a thing.

What will define Garrett as coach are his personnel decisions and how he uses his personnel- not his philosophy of having the "right kinda guys", so intentionally vague that it can define just about anyone.

I've always viewed RKG as more so the makeup of the player from the standpoint of work ethic. Players who will work year round to perfect their craft, will strive to be the best that their physical limitations will allow, and have a high football IQ.

Basically players that have a higher probability of reaching their ceilings because they are willing to put in the work and will encourage others to do the same. People like Michael Irvin fit this bill even though he was a wild card off of the field. Then again, that's just my take on it and really none of us know since it hasn't been spelled out for us.
JWingate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RatherBeHuntin' wrote:
matt79511 wrote:

I've always viewed RKG as more so the makeup of the player from the standpoint of work ethic. Players who will work year round to perfect their craft, will strive to be the best that their physical limitations will allow, and have a high football IQ.

Basically players that have a higher probability of reaching their ceilings because they are willing to put in the work and will encourage others to do the same. People like Michael Irvin fit this bill even though he was a wild card off of the field. Then again, that's just my take on it and really none of us know since it hasn't been spelled out for us.

In Michael Irvin's day and age yes he was a RKG, because players barely got suspended. In today's game players get suspended for breathing too hard. That means to be a RKG you have to do the things that will not get you in trouble and stop you from contributing on the field as well.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeneralDissaray wrote:
MaddHatter wrote:
Football Mensa wrote:
textaz03 wrote:

Why?

Honestly, if Ray Lewis can hold up the Lombardi Trophy a second time, and seems to be a confidant to Goodell, then I wouldn't hit the panic button on Ratliff.

Ray Lewis is the greatest con in nfl history.....

Rat's issues is he is old and broken down. WHy keep him on the roster for such little production ?
Northland

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Football Mensa wrote:
GeneralDissaray wrote:
MaddHatter wrote:
Football Mensa wrote:
textaz03 wrote:

Why?

Ray Lewis is the greatest con in nfl history.....

Rat's issues is he is old and broken down. WHy keep him on the roster for such little production ?

Mensa I hear you on Ratliff being old and broken down. But I ask this question: Is it possible that if he is healthy that he could be a solid contributor in Kiffin's defense? I realize that Ratliff being healthy is a big if, but I think the guy could be solid in a four man front. His game has always been quickness, agility, penetration vs. stout, wide body who holds the point of attack.
If he is broken down I say get rid of him. But let's evaluate him first and see a) if there is a fit in the new scheme and b) if he can contribute.
I have no idea what Ratliff's salary is this year and the cap implications of keeping him vs cutting him are. This could be a contributing factor as well.
Football Mensa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northland wrote:

Quote:
Mensa I hear you on Ratliff being old and broken down. But I ask this question: Is it possible that if he is healthy that he could be a solid contributor in Kiffin's defense? I realize that Ratliff being healthy is a big if, but I think the guy could be solid in a four man front. His game has always been quickness, agility, penetration vs. stout, wide body who holds the point of attack.
If he is broken down I say get rid of him. But let's evaluate him first and see a) if there is a fit in the new scheme and b) if he can contribute.
I have no idea what Ratliff's salary is this year and the cap implications of keeping him vs cutting him are. This could be a contributing factor as well.

Northland if Rat is healthy he could be a beast in the 4-3. I have always thought his career was wasted in a 3-4. If he can stay healthy I would keep him because I don't care about the dwi stuff. He doesn't owe me an explanation. My biggest beef with Rat is his inability to remain healthy in correlation to what he cost against the cap. This draft is loaded with good dt's. Even if we keep him I still think we need to draft a dt.
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Football Mensa wrote:
Northland wrote:

Quote:

Northland if Rat is healthy he could be a beast in the 4-3. I have always thought his career was wasted in a 3-4. If he can stay healthy I would keep him because I don't care about the dwi stuff. He doesn't owe me an explanation. My biggest beef with Rat is his inability to remain healthy in correlation to what he cost against the cap. This draft is loaded with good dt's. Even if we keep him I still think we need to draft a dt.

Ratliff's career was wasted in the 3-4 because our team was too arrogant/stupid to play him at DE where he belonged. Instead, they convinced themselves that an undersized, athletic DT can play NT and it ruined him physically. He should never have been assigned to play NT.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
RatherBeHuntin'

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JWingate wrote:
RatherBeHuntin' wrote:
matt79511 wrote:

In Michael Irvin's day and age yes he was a RKG, because players barely got suspended. In today's game players get suspended for breathing too hard. That means to be a RKG you have to do the things that will not get you in trouble and stop you from contributing on the field as well.

This is very true as well. I'm sure the modern media doesn't help with that either. Things are known so quickly these days and there is almost no hiding things compared to the older days.
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RatherBeHuntin' wrote:
JWingate wrote:
RatherBeHuntin' wrote:
matt79511 wrote:

This is very true as well. I'm sure the modern media doesn't help with that either. Things are known so quickly these days and there is almost no hiding things compared to the older days.

The media covered Irvin's personal issues like gangbusters, though. The difference was that Comrade Goodell wasn't the commissioner levying suspensions like adults give out candy to kids on Halloween.

I'm sure many of you guys remember when Irvin ordered pizzas for members of the media during one of his court appearances.

Northland wrote:
RatherBeHuntin'

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
RatherBeHuntin' wrote:
JWingate wrote:
RatherBeHuntin' wrote:
matt79511 wrote:

The media covered Irvin's personal issues like gangbusters, though. The difference was that Comrade Goodell wasn't the commissioner levying suspensions like adults give out candy to kids on Halloween.

I'm sure many of you guys remember when Irvin ordered pizzas for members of the media during one of his court appearances.

In your opinion what role, if any, does social media play? I ask because I think things get blown out of proportion and sensationalized in a matter of hours at times.
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RatherBeHuntin' wrote:
In your opinion what role, if any, does social media play? I ask because I think things get blown out of proportion and sensationalized in a matter of hours at times.

Excellent question. I think it plays a big role with respect to public perception/opinion due to the onset of message boards, Facebook, Twitter, etc., but I don't think it has much (if any) influence on how Goodell handles his business. With the world getting smaller, information traveling faster, and multiple generations passionately accepting alternative media outlets, it probably amplifies and magnifies how quickly news travels from one place to the next, but I'm not sure that it creates any additional coverage, per se. It simply allows the information to be received sooner than in years' past...unless people are like Matts and are too busy "fapping" to midget clown porn.

Northland wrote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: