Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Flacco expected to aim for Drew Brees money
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BenchSanchez

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's not totally worth of being the next 100 Mil QB, but he's pretty close. He'll probably get it.

New York Jets Rutgers Scarlet Knights Brooklyn Nets New York Mets
Brown_Mamba

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if he throws for 5 TD's in the super bowl, I wouldn't pay him that much. Simple as that.

Dirk No-Miss-zki fan
YlionsY

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he gets the contract now but if he wins the SB, no doubt about it IMO
UpTheSeam85

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dude has gotten that team to the AFC Championship game what, 3 times in 5 years? Simple as this, he wins games. It's obvious he is a good fit for that team and they make the playoffs year in and year out with him. Not every team is going to have a Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, etc. on their team, but you can win without a QB like that as long as he is capable of balling out, which Flacco has done and shown he is capable of.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MNPackfan32 wrote:
Wait, if Joe Flacco gets $120 million what does Aaron Rodgers get when he is due a new contract after the 2014 season??? Shocked Do we even keep a QB for that kind of money?

Flacco wants that kind of money, doesn't mean he'll get it, I wouldn't worry yet. It would be awfully foolish for the Ravens to give him that big of a check.

Hell, the Saints were foolish to give it to Brees. Rodgers is the only QB in the league who deserves Brees type money, and I bet he'll get around the same sort of a contract Brees did.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He'll get 100m but it won't be over 5 years probably 6 or 7.
There are many teams out there who would pay him if the Ravens don't and there is no one in the draft this year who looks like a franchise QB.
I would not be surprised if the Ravens tagged him this year to see if he can keep his form of the last few games going.
silus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drew Brees is the leader of the Saints, a leader in the community, and one of the best QBs in the league.

Joe Flacco starts earning his money come playoff time. Which is great and all, but top QBs have to dominate the regular season as well. If i'm the Ravens no way in hell would I do that.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlaqOptic wrote:
This is ESPN farming another story and hoping everyone runs away with it in hopes it becomes true.

Agreed. I honestly can't see how more people don't see it. This has all the makings of it. Flacco and Ozzie put contract negotiations off until AFTER this season, there no viable sources provided, so how exactly did ESPN get this scoop anyways?

But hey, I'll play along here.

Another thing that people haven't fished out is that it says Flacco wants Brees type money... well, it doesn't specify as to the overall deal... or whether its referring to the guaranteed monies that Brees was paid as an 'elite QB'.

Personally, I expect that the latter (guaranteed dollars) just might be an accurate account of what could be expected in this contract. As Ravens fans have stated are knowledgeable on... Ozzie has a tendency of paying players a little less in the 'overall' of their contract while paying them more guaranteed dollars than what most of their peers look to make.

Drew Brees is a better QB than Flacco, sure. Drew Brees is making money that Flacco isn't worth (heck I'm not even sure Brees is worth that much), but with how durable a QB Flacco has been it really would be a good investment decision for the Ravens to say, "Drew Brees is averaging $8m guaranteed dollars a year through the life of his contract, let's give Flacco the same amount. String it over 7 years and pay him $56m guaranteed through signing, option, and roster bonuses along the way.

So now you say Flacco gets paid, in the range I expect, $16.5m/year, and we're talking about a deal of $115.5m total with $56m in bonus cash. To put that into perspective, Ngata, probably the team's most valuable defensive player (when fully healthy) would be making roughly $30m less sure, but at $7.42m guaranteed cash average, he'd only be about 600k less in that respect when in comparison to this hypothetical deal Flacco might sign.

The Ravens front office wasn't born yesterday. Likely Ozzie has already had a number in his mind this whole time... and that number hasn't changed by some astronomical amount. The only difference now is probably in the guaranteed cash allotted... and the incentives. The Ravens try to be as fair as possible, without exceeding what they believe to be fair. The QB position earns Flacco more leverage, but the Ravens are a very good front office that knows how to deal with these kinds of issues responsibly.

The most I can see Flacco making is AT MOST $18m... which he wouldn't be worth... but $20m is definitely NOT happening. A safe number to work with should be that $16-17m dollar range at this point.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brown_Mamba wrote:
Even if he throws for 5 TD's in the super bowl, I wouldn't pay him that much. Simple as that.

Uhhh...if the guy throws 5 TDs on the biggest stage against this defense i'm handing him the checkbook.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

silus wrote:
Brown_Mamba wrote:

Uhhh...if the guy throws 5 TDs on the biggest stage against this defense i'm handing him the checkbook.

Yeah... and not only that, but IF he were to hypothetically speaking... throw for that many touchdowns... and if he had zero interceptions. Flacco now has a VERY strong case for the best post season EVER by a QB. We're talking an average somewhere in that 280-290 yds passing area. And he would then have 13 TDs to 0 INTs. I'm no history buff, but that has to be a very strong case.

And along with what he's been able to do in his career to this point... well, you have to pay the man, unless of course it's a result of Smith going off for something like 220 receiving yards and 4 TDs... and it's more receiver dominance than QB dominance.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not know if he is worth that kind of money....
driftwood

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MNPackfan32 wrote:
Wait, if Joe Flacco gets $120 million what does Aaron Rodgers get when he is due a new contract after the 2014 season??? Shocked Do we even keep a QB for that kind of money?

we wont be able to resign Rodgers... its well known across all the forums that this is pretty much Graham Herrell's team to lose for the future
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ozzie doesn't go nuts with player contracts. Hes not getting Brees money. Its quite that simple.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JBURGE25 wrote:
MARIO MANGELINI wrote:
Dr. Philly wrote:
Steelerspower wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
DontTazeMeBro wrote:
He's an elite QB.

No...not even close.

Not even close???...why?

Pretty sure FTM has a stricter definition of elite. Think its top 3-5 it is and I agree with that assessment. And I like Flacco a lot

I'd call him an elite QB in the playoffs, but around fringe top 15 in the regular season. Not the best, but much better than vice versa.

I peg him around 10, regardless

Its funny cause just a month ago he was mediocre in the playoffs and average starter, but now all of a sudden 3 games makes him a top 10 qb worth $20 million and "elite", just like Eli. lol
RainbowCarebear

Location: "Are you hungry, child?" Yes, she thought, but not for food.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A tad too much.

"Do you imagine Whoresbane loves you any better? If you did not hold the ..., he would pull out your entrails and make you eat them"
"In return, we swore that we should always be their men"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: