Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Lions hire Brian Xanders
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

detfan782004 wrote:
Smells like the Fords putting more eyes on Mayhew. I am sure somehow mayhew will get credit for this too though
This is getting annoying.

I think they brought him in to help with FA's.

R.I.P. Stylish
detfan782004

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDOG_det wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
Smells like the Fords putting more eyes on Mayhew. I am sure somehow mayhew will get credit for this too though

You are right it is annoying he cant get job done so instead of replacing them they get him more help to do his job right.

It is frustrating. They are now paying 3 men to do the job basically because MIllhew can't

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
One of Xanders' first responsibilities with the Detroit Lions is setting up an in-house scouting system.

"One big thing he's going to be working on right now is building a new scouting system," Mayhew said. "We've contracted that out in the past and bought product from other people and we're actually going to build our own system internally designed strictly for us that we can design and set up."

Xanders has experience building such a system in Atlanta in the 90s, which was one of the first systems built internally like that.

Link
Sllim Pickens

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheROARisBACK wrote:
Quote:
One of Xanders' first responsibilities with the Detroit Lions is setting up an in-house scouting system.

"One big thing he's going to be working on right now is building a new scouting system," Mayhew said. "We've contracted that out in the past and bought product from other people and we're actually going to build our own system internally designed strictly for us that we can design and set up."

Xanders has experience building such a system in Atlanta in the 90s, which was one of the first systems built internally like that.

Link

It is a little alarming to me that they didnt do this alleady. How is buying generic scouting reports helping find what we want here. No wonder it seems we always have a big cluster of players with non-cohesive skill sets. It seems like this should have been done like 60 years ago or something.

Adopt-A-Lion - Riley Reiff, OT/TE/FB
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sllim Pickens wrote:
TheROARisBACK wrote:
Quote:

Link

It is a little alarming to me that they didnt do this alleady. How is buying generic scouting reports helping find what we want here. No wonder it seems we always have a big cluster of players with non-cohesive skill sets. It seems like this should have been done like 60 years ago or something.
I think that's actually how a fair amount of scouts operate. They work independently and sell their opinions to teams that are interested rather than having to work for 1 team.

R.I.P. Stylish
mijags

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as of now, the following teams have in house scouting departments: Baltimore Ravens, Chicago Bears, Cleveland Browns, Indianapolis Colts, New England Patriots, and Oakland Raiders .

the lions scouting was done by LESTO (lions eagles and steelers scouting organization) from 1963, it became BLESTO when the bears joined in 1964 and BLESTO-V when the vikings joined in the late 60s…..it is now known simply as BLESTO since the bears and eagles have left the organization……currently BLESTO includes the following teams: Buffalo Bills, Detroit Lions, Jacksonville Jaguars, Miami Dolphins, Minnesota Vikings, New York Giants, Pittsburgh Steelers, and Washington Redskins
Sllim Pickens

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mijags wrote:
as of now, the following teams have in house scouting departments: Baltimore Ravens, Chicago Bears, Cleveland Browns, Indianapolis Colts, New England Patriots, and Oakland Raiders .

the lions scouting was done by LESTO (lions eagles and steelers scouting organization) from 1963, it became BLESTO when the bears joined in 1964 and BLESTO-V when the vikings joined in the late 60s…..it is now known simply as BLESTO since the bears and eagles have left the organization……currently BLESTO includes the following teams: Buffalo Bills, Detroit Lions, Jacksonville Jaguars, Miami Dolphins, Minnesota Vikings, New York Giants, Pittsburgh Steelers, and Washington Redskins

Interesting stuff. I still dont like that they dont have their own scouting staff. At least a few. I get scouting every player would get expensive, but you have to have a couple guys watching college football each week to get a direction of where to go.

I can see though that when the group has gotten that large, it would be tough to be specific to each team and am assuming thats why they are branching out now.

Adopt-A-Lion - Riley Reiff, OT/TE/FB
lions on top

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mijags wrote:

Wow, that is interesting, I had no idea it worked like that. Do they hold out the good reports for the Giants and Steelers D then or?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

detfan782004 wrote:

If Mayhew stands pat, you bash him for "doing nothing"

If Mayhew makes a move, you bash it

What would it take for you to say that Mayhew is doing a good job?

Cruz is one of best WR in the game

detfan782004 wrote:

(Eli) Manning has a new look offense and he has looked really good in it.

wut
El Duderino

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like Xanders is a Florida State guy.
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

detfan782004 wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:

You are right it is annoying he cant get job done so instead of replacing them they get him more help to do his job right.

It is frustrating. They are now paying 3 men to do the job basically because MIllhew can't

Haters Gon Hate
YlionsY

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:

FIFY
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:

Haters Gon Hate

So, you can't be critical of anyone without being called a hater. I understand.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuhPLEX wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:

When Mayhew took over the job he should have know what shortcomings existed. One of his first steps was to hire those college kids and use their evaluation system.

It not about doing something versus doing nothing. It's about Mayhew's performance overall.

When he took the job every fan in this forum knew,

1. The franchise needed a culture change.
2. The organization needed a proper evaluation system for everyone. Not just players but coaches, scouts, GM even the Lions store staff.
3. The entire scouting and evaluation system needed to be overhauled and improved.
4. Staff with experience is successful organizations needed to be brought in.

Besides the grading system he purchased one of Mayhew's first steps was to hire James Harris.

What's interesting is Mayhew keeps adding to his staff yet no one is sent packing. He promoted Sheldon White to Vice President of pro personnel, brought in Harris etc.

Acknowledging they have scouting issues is about four years late. It's been obvious yet all the key players in scouting, evaluation etc. are still with the team.

The team has used Blesto for years as well as its previous version which I think was elsto. Mayhew has been with the organization for years and just now figures its time for a change?

Sorry but his moves this year simply look like moves designed to keep his job. They don't look like the type of changes that will significantly alter system performance.

What would it take to say Mayhew is doing a good job?

How about results? How about the team improves each year and becomes a playoff contender every year.

How about when the team flounders he shakes up under performing areas and brings in new personnel?

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
detfan782004

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuhPLEX wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:

To actually do a good job perhaps?

Maybe actually hit on draft picks?

Maybe avoid players with character issues?

Heck I dont know maybe his job

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

Jump to: