Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Common misconceptions about your teams draft needs
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems most are spot on about the Vikings. Its easy to recognize there biggest needs, which are WR, DT, and LB.

However, to nitpick, the Vikings need taller, perimeter WRs, a 1 technique DT (assuming Williams returns), and a 3 down athletic LB.

Most are spot on about position but sometimes dont have the right type of player at each position. Ive seen John Simon mocked to the Vikings at OLB, who is clearly a poor fit for a Cover 2 WLB.

Ive seen CB mocked early on occasion, though its not really a need since Winfield wants to play one more year. Cook, Robinson and Winfield is just fine as a top 3 CB trio, especially since the Vikes run a Cover 2 scheme and elite coverage CBs arent really needed.
MightyRx

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
i've seen the jaguars mocked for a WR early which isnt close to a top need. We need help at:

QB
DE
DT
CB
OL

all before WR

The way the prospects look, it'd look more like this:

DE/DT
OL
DT/DE
CB
QB

Once you get 1 D-lineman, the other is not as pressing unless someone ridiculously talented falls. (*ahem* Jones to 2nd round)

Star & Jones?!? Shocked
alfalcone

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1BackInBlackFan wrote:
I've seen some people say the Steelers need to draft a QB early to be a backup to Roethlisberger. Why? So he could sit on the bench for four years and only come in when he's hurt? They have bigger holes that need to be addressed than a backup QB. Roethlisberger still has some quality years ahead of him so it's not like they are even in need to draft his successor at this time. I'd be ticked if the Steelers pick a QB anytime before the fifth round. Drafting a developmental guy later to be the third QB is fine though.

This is coming from a Ravens fan, so I am probably biased, but the Steelers, should you have a quality backup were a playoff team this year. Roethlisberger can be counted on to miss 3-4 games per, in my opinion taking a quality back up in the 3rd or 4th would be a good investment. EJ Manuel if his stock hasn't risen too much could be a great investment, as could a Tyler Bray.
alfalcone

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the Ravens, the obvious misconception would be a need for a rush linebacker and a center. Courtney Upshaw was drafted last year, and Michael Mcadoo, and Adrian Hamilton are developmental rush guys, and Suggs is assumed to be 100% next year. With regards to center, this is Matt Birk's last year, but Gino Gradkowski, was taken in the 4th round, and is thought to be the future starter, so long as he puts the requisite time in the weight room this off season. Finally, backup QB is not a need, Flacco has proven himself to be durable, and I believe Tyrod demonstrated against the Bengals this year that he could keep the Ravens competitive over a 4 game stretch.

The actual needs in my book are a 5 technique, nose tackle, middle linebacker, free safety, left tackle (but only if a blue chipper is found), possession receiver to eventually replace Boldin, a blocking tight end, and possibly a fullback.
Kempes

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luke Joeckel.
RandomCampBody

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheOsprey wrote:
That WR is the biggest need for the Seahawks. With Russell Wilson at QB, we have become a run first team and the passing game has become secondary. That leaves an inside pass rusher and OG as our two biggest needs by far. We'll still draft a WR as this is a very deep class, but it's highly unlikely that will occur in round 1. We cannot afford to pass on a pass rushing DT like Richardson, Short or Williams or a franchise OG like Warmack or Cooper if they fall to us.

Another sly dig at wilson from you Laughing

The seahawks were a running team before Wilson became QB and will be whoever is at QB as that seems to be what Pete Carrol wants.

Don't disagree that WR isn't the biggest need but who's to say they don't want to open the offense up next year and add a real weapon to it.
swindlemaster

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Packers will NOT draft a wideout in the first round.Cobb,Jennings,J.Jones and J.Nelson were all taken in the 2 or 3 round.If Ted Thompson wants one he will trade down.
DerekBrink

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swindlemaster wrote:
The Packers will NOT draft a wideout in the first round.Cobb,Jennings,J.Jones and J.Nelson were all taken in the 2 or 3 round.If Ted Thompson wants one he will trade down.

did someone really say the Packers would take a WR in the first?
marky_b27

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Philly wrote:
Luke Joeckel at four. Peters will be over a year recovered from his Achilles rupture and would be starting at LT. Taking Luke at four for him to be an RT is just dumb as it would be a waste. Guard or a tackle later in the draft makes sense.

Scrambling QB, mainly due to not knowing what offense chip is running.

Completely agree.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Marky > Foles
samsel23

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OT is a need for KC. Even if we let Albert go (doubt it) we have Donald Stephenson who held is own last year. OT is actually one of the only positions we don't need if Albert is resigned.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

INbengalfan wrote:
That the Bengals will NEED to replace Michael Johnson with a first round DE. The team has over 55 million in cap space. And we still have Dunlap as a backup on the depth chart. Even if Johnson gets away, we won't have to go DE.

This times a billion.

Also, IMO, we won't draft a pure MLB early. I believe Burfict starts in the middle in 2013. And we do not need interior O-line until late for depth.
MARIO MANGELINI

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That WR is our biggest need.

Maybe their won't be a good DT on the board by the time we can pick, but our D-line sucks and is beyond horrible right now. Bottom 5. We NEED some D-line help, our WR core is about average and I don't mind it at all. I kinda like it actually. While we might draft a WR in the 1st (Deandre Hopkins!!!!!!!!!!!!!) it will be because a good DT wasn't there.
Pick6byWoodson

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OT - We have Bulaga and Sherrod coming back, and Newhouse makes for a fine swing tackle.

D-Line - A lot of Packers fans seem to think D-line should be addressed early on for some reason. Why, I don't know, considering we have Raji, Pickett, Wilson, Neal, Worthy, and Daniels.. six quality d-linemen... Plenty for a 3-4 defense.

More pressing needs for us include center, OLB depth, and safety.
incognito_man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pick6byWoodson wrote:
OT - We have Bulaga and Sherrod coming back, and Newhouse makes for a fine swing tackle.

D-Line - A lot of Packers fans seem to think D-line should be addressed early on for some reason. Why, I don't know, considering we have Raji, Pickett, Wilson, Neal, Worthy, and Daniels.. six quality d-linemen... Plenty for a 3-4 defense.

because 4 of them are free agents after next year. One must look beyond the season immediately in front of you.
Pick6byWoodson

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

incognito_man wrote:
Pick6byWoodson wrote:

because 4 of them are free agents after next year. One must look beyond the season immediately in front of you.

Yeah but of the four, Raji is the only one that will cost a decent amount of money. The other three are useful players that shouldn't cost much to keep.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: