Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Cap Space , also Jonathon Goff
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mike23md

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lavar703 wrote:
a2piece89 wrote:
lavar703 wrote:
Just move Rob Jackson to the middle. He has the size, speed and instincts to play there and I'm almost positive this will be Fletchers last season.

just because he made a couple ints at the end position doesnt mean you can move him to middle linebacker,one of if not the most influential part of the defense. He would get exposed like Lorenzo, would struggle covering tight ends and slot receivers would have a field day....and i like Rob tbh but they can't just keep asking players to play out of position. patchwork

mike23md wrote:
aceinthehouse wrote:
If ILB/MLB Monte' Teo is sitting on the board @#51 (i think that's our 2nd rd pick)

I'm scooping him up. Sorry..just am.

We eventually need Fletcher's replacement and not having a 1st rd pick from the RG3 trade, but having a top 5-top 10 player drops in your lap @#51. You take him even knowing the risks.

I don't care if we are desperate for a Corner or Safety or whatever there.
You take the best available player, with no 1st rounder.

Specially a player of his caliber, imo.

I'm sure we can land a really good Corner or Safety with our 3rd rd pick.
Or sign free agents depending on our cap situation or readjusting cap figures on current players.

If I had my choice between Te'o or Philip Thomas? Its Thomas. I absolutely love this kid.

Te'o is going to have to overcome a lot of obstacles. He looked really bad against Alabama, almost unprepared, but against other teams, he was aggressive, and played well especially against Oklahoma and Stanford. But Alabama really exposed Te'o and his weaknesses and he really looked confused out there.

Lacy dared Te'o to tackle him and he looked like a deer in the headlights.
QFT, and philip thomas is a beast. would trade every draft pick for him,Elam, and oline if it were possible

What I'm suggesting is sort of a trial for Rob Jackson, if it doesn't work he still has major value as an OLB. Not to mention Perry Riley will be taking over Fletchers role as the leader of the defense which would make Jackson more of a freelancer in the middle. Don't forget we still have Keenan Robinson who played pretty well when given the chance so that option is still available.

I have to disagree on a few points here.

Playing Rob Jackson in a position where he needs to move laterally and play the width of the field is asking him to do a lot. He has horrible hips and cannot change position well. He can go north and south but strafing along the line with his locked hips really prevents him from moving to the middle.

If Riley were to take over for the SILB position he needs to gain about 15 lbs. Alexander was making the play calls for the defense when Fletcher went out for partial games with injuries, not Riley, so the team felt that Alexander was the better positional leader than Riley.

I really feel that we do need to stop shuffling players to play multiple positions and use the draft to find people who play the position full time.

Rob Jackson might get some offers to leave Washington, and thats ok, with the Redskins switching to the 3-4 it really limited his role to just an rushing OLB. While he can make INT's by luck and being in the right place at the right time, it is clearly Brian Orakpo's position and Jackson is not going to overtake Orakpo.

Bottom line, there are a few good ILB's in this draft and we should seriously take a look at them before we start moving players out of position to fill a need.

2015 NFL MOCK DRAFT
turtle28

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, I agreed with you up until you said Riley needed to gain 15 lbs to play the slb position, i think he weighs 5 more than what nfl.com and espn say. I think he's in the 240s. remmeber they kept putting cofield as 306 last year when he was closer to 320 because they were using old data, I'd say the same is true here. He's plenty physical enough for the position.

Either way though, if Fletch is gone, I do agree Alexander should start at his position and make the defensive calls. We can get another ilb to develop in the mid rounds who is bigger and stronger to learn behind Alexander. Then we will have Robinson returning who can play behind Riley at the wilb spot.

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Woz

Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be very surprised if Jackson was re-signed here. This is his one chance to get a big contract.
RSkinGM

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woz wrote:
I would be very surprised if Jackson was re-signed here. This is his one chance to get a big contract.

He is Restricted however,, and we can match, correct ?
daboyle250

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSkinGM wrote:
Woz wrote:

He is Restricted however,, and we can match, correct ?

He's unrestricted. So if he isn't re-signed, he's going to FA.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/washington-redskins/rob-jackson/

Tracker: 22 catches, 227 yards, 1 TD
DCRED

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's our current cap number? Are we still $3 million over with this year's penalty?
turtle28

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wednedsay south practice notes:

Mychal Rivera - TE - Tennessee - not showing ability to separate enough

Michael Williams - TE - Bama - looked awful in route

These two seem like blocking TEs to me. Not really a need in my eyes because we have Paulsen. I'd look for us to get a more TE similar to Davis who's a pass catching TE if Davis is gone. I'm sure we aren't looking at TE high in the draft though if these are the two we are looking at, so I guess they'll do.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
turtle28

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DCRED wrote:
What's our current cap number? Are we still $3 million over with this year's penalty?

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=503961

Woz

Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:

These two seem like blocking TEs to me. Not really a need in my eyes because we have Paulsen. I'd look for us to get a more TE similar to Davis who's a pass catching TE if Davis is gone. I'm sure we aren't looking at TE high in the draft though if these are the two we are looking at, so I guess they'll do.

What if Jordan Reed comes available? (6'3", 243)

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1691412/jordan-reed
Quote:
COMPARES TO: Aaron Hernandez, TE, New England Patriots - Yes, both grew up and prepped in Connecticut before arriving in Gainesville, but the similarities don't end there. Reed shows the unique ability to create receiving mismatches as a "joker" TE against linebackers and defensive backs, similar to what Hernandez has done in New England.

CBS/NFL Draft Scout currently has him 80th overall, with a third round grade.

I could see us making that move.
mike23md

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woz wrote:
turtle28 wrote:

What if Jordan Reed comes available? (6'3", 243)

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1691412/jordan-reed
Quote:
COMPARES TO: Aaron Hernandez, TE, New England Patriots - Yes, both grew up and prepped in Connecticut before arriving in Gainesville, but the similarities don't end there. Reed shows the unique ability to create receiving mismatches as a "joker" TE against linebackers and defensive backs, similar to what Hernandez has done in New England.

CBS/NFL Draft Scout currently has him 80th overall, with a third round grade.

I could see us making that move.

I don't see him past a 4th rounder, based on current needs for TE's.

Tyler Eifert (20 1st round)
Zach Ertz 43 (2nd round)
Joseph Fauria (72 3rd round)
Jordan Reed (120 4th round)

I would like to believe that the TE position will not be a need as we can sign Fred Davis instead of using a draft pick to fill the position.

This is why in the 5th round, I thought we could take a chance on Michael Williams. Had a decent Senior Bowl and caught a touchdown pass from Manuel that was money. So he can catch and has enough quickness to run routes. He seems a little more polished than Logan Paulsen or Niles Paul.

2015 NFL MOCK DRAFT
turtle28

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with your analysis mike23. I guess I was just being picky! Laughing

It is true that Riviera and Michael Williams would be decent late round picks to compete with Paulsen and Paul if Davis is gone.

Also, don't sleep on Jake Stoneburner from Ohio State. Before the past two years when Ohio State had less of a passing offense and more of a rushing offense even with its qb, Stoneburner was thought of possible being a mid round pick or higher. He's more of a pass catching TE at the moment or HB, but he's someone we could develop like we did Paulsen if he's selected in the later rounds.

Nothing wrong with a TE who's 6'5, 245 and runs around a 4.7 40 in the draft.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: