Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Detroit Lions hire Brian Xanders

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dmudd

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Detroit Lions hire Brian Xanders Reply with quote

Detroit Lions hire Brian Xanders as Senior Personnel Executive. Guess one of his first tasks is to create a scouting system just for the lions. Hope this turn s out well.

"One big thing he's going to be working on right now is building a new scouting system," Mayhew said. "We've contracted that out in the past and bought product from other people and we're actually going to build our own system internally designed strictly for us that we can design and set up."

http://www.detroitlions.com/news/lions-insider/article-1/Martin-Mayhew-Detroit-Lions-hire-Brian-Xanders-as-Senior-Personnel-Executive/8c0ce320-b6d1-476e-bcba-bbd0b42c7bda
jrry32

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why?

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
popie70

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This seems crazy to me that a pro sports team doesn't have it's own scouting department. Is this a normal practice?
jrry32

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

popie70 wrote:
This seems crazy to me that a pro sports team doesn't have it's own scouting department. Is this a normal practice?

They do have a scouting department. I think it's talking more about creating a system as in scouting reports and rankings and such. Don't understand the need for it but I guess the Lions have their reasons.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
Jetsfandan423

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mayhew doesn't have any background in scouting though correct? Maybe that's why he brought a personnel guy in?

Adopt a Jet: David Harris
TCKL: 20 SACK: 1 FF: 1 INT:
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
popie70 wrote:

They do have a scouting department. I think it's talking more about creating a system as in scouting reports and rankings and such. Don't understand the need for it but I guess the Lions have their reasons.

The Lions are part of Blesto.

What I find disturbing is his first step when hired was to hire two MIT grads that had developed a grading system. He then brought in Shack Harris to assist him with player personnel.

Here we are four years later with another revamp to scouting.

When he was hired he was a senior member of Millen's management team. He should have had a good handle on the Lions organizational shortcomings immediately.

Out of the gate the Lions had 2, 6, 10 win seasons followed by this years disastrous 4-12 collapse which includes an eight game losing streak.

This addition and the loss of 4 unit coaches some of which simply weren't renewed and 1 asked to be let out of his contract.

I'm baffled my Mayhew's lack of action. I supported him until the end of the season but his inaction has made me critical of him as a GM.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
fortdetroit

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diehardlionfan wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
popie70 wrote:

What I find disturbing is his first step when hired was to hire two MIT grads that had developed a grading system. He then brought in Shack Harris to assist him with player personnel.

When he was hired he was a senior member of Millen's management team. He should have had a good handle on the Lions organizational shortcomings immediately.

Out of the gate the Lions had 2, 6, 10 win seasons followed by this years disastrous 4-12 collapse which includes an eight game losing streak.

This addition and the loss of 4 unit coaches some of which simply weren't renewed and 1 asked to be let out of his contract.

I'm baffled my Mayhew's lack of action. I supported him until the end of the season but his inaction has made me critical of him as a GM.

Lack of action? Didn't you just point out that he changed 5 of the position coaches on the team, hired a new front office member, and is revamping the scouting procedures? How is that a lack of action?
dmudd

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fortdetroit wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
popie70 wrote:

Lack of action? Didn't you just point out that he changed 5 of the position coaches on the team, hired a new front office member, and is revamping the scouting procedures? How is that a lack of action?

Also hired arun game coordinator and jim wasburn ro coach the dline with our current dline coach seems to me he is trying.
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fortdetroit wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
popie70 wrote:

Of the position coaches only one was fired. Three weren't renewed and 1 asked to be released. It's never been announced if they wanted to retain the three who weren't renewed or f they wanted no part of the Lions.

He hired a rung game coordinator. That a fancy title they gave the new running back coach.

Revamping the scouting procedures. Yup, he hired an ex GM to develop an in house process. He had many years in the organization and he just now figures out the scouting sucks?

They have not terminated a single individual in the scouting or personnel departments and they haven't replaced a single significant coach.

Do you think that's reasonable for a team that has the third worst winning percentage since he took over as GM?

I don't.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
fortdetroit

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diehardlionfan wrote:
fortdetroit wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
popie70 wrote:

Of the position coaches only one was fired. Three weren't renewed and 1 asked to be released. It's never been announced if they wanted to retain the three who weren't renewed or f they wanted no part of the Lions.

He hired a rung game coordinator. That a fancy title they gave the new running back coach.

Revamping the scouting procedures. Yup, he hired an ex GM to develop an in house process. He had many years in the organization and he just now figures out the scouting sucks?

They have not terminated a single individual in the scouting or personnel departments and they haven't replaced a single significant coach.

Do you think that's reasonable for a team that has the third worst winning percentage since he took over as GM?

I don't.

Whether or not they were fired or not retained, the end result is the same. They moved on from the position coaches because they felt they weren't doing good enough. The position coaches that they have replaced are most certainly "significant"...as position coaches are the coaches that work most closely with the players on a daily basis and more than any other coaches (head coach, coordinators)
simonwayne

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a name like Brian Xanders, what's the worst that could happen? Guy has an epic name
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fortdetroit wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:
fortdetroit wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
popie70 wrote:

I don't.

Whether or not they were fired or not retained, the end result is the same. They moved on from the position coaches because they felt they weren't doing good enough. The position coaches that they have replaced are most certainly "significant"...as position coaches are the coaches that work most closely with the players on a daily basis and more than any other coaches (head coach, coordinators)
[url]

There is a significant difference between a coach leaving because they want to and being fired. In addition one of the coaches asked to be released from the remaining year of his contract.

It didnt even take Shawn Jefferson two weeks to find work in the NFL. He's a good coach. Rumour has it he didn't want to stay in Detroit.

To fill Jeffersons shoes they promoted TE coach Tim Lappano. Shocking given the less than stellar play of the TE's.

I get the fact you support Mayhew and his decisions or lack of decisions.

I expected a few more changes given the Lions performance.

It say allot about an organization when coaches leave because THEY want to.[/url]

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
RainbowCarebear

Location: "Are you hungry, child?" Yes, she thought, but not for food.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simonwayne wrote:
With a name like Brian Xanders, what's the worst that could happen? Guy has an epic name

Yeah he should be an X-man.

"Do you imagine Whoresbane loves you any better? If you did not hold the ..., he would pull out your entrails and make you eat them"
"In return, we swore that we should always be their men"
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simonwayne wrote:
Bingo
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #1: Eric Ebron
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #2: Martin Mayhew

R.I.P. Stylish
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly thought it said

Barry Sanders Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: