Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Lions suck, deal with it - mock

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
LionsChamps201?


Joined: 03 Jan 2010
Posts: 374
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:41 pm    Post subject: Lions suck, deal with it - mock Reply with quote

I've been tinkering with different mocks and Ive realized, no matter what we are really going to suck next year. We were 5-11 last year and we are going to loose 7, 8 of our defensive starters. Also, our offense has a lot of big stats but any Lions follower can tell you that for as much as we spend on that side of the ball we are not that good. Even if we manage to bring the same team back next year - which our cap situation says is an impossibility - we are in a division with Green Bay, Minnesota, and Chicago. Probably the best division in football. Finally, Schwatz's undisciplined culture has led me to believe that we are not going to over-produce.

So with that said, I believe that we need to look towards the future. Not rebuild, per-se, but rather not try to find the answer in a weak draft class.


FA


Let go...

Avril - Will want too much money
KVB (cut) - Makes too much
Durant - will also get a big payday
Houston - Older corner who will get more than he's worth
Lacey - Man this guy sucks!
Coleman - older safety
Cherilus - Nothing missed
Burleson (cut) - Older, overpaid
Young (cut) - Schwatrz wont do it but it needs to happen
Peterman (cut) - Terrible
Best (Retire)



Resign...

SLH (restricted)
Jackson
Young (restricted)
Levy
Delmas - great when hes in there, short term contract till he can prove he can stay healthy


Sign

Gregg Jennings (WR - GB) - The Lions finally get a 2nd target to tae the pressure off of CJ. Jennings has been one of the better WR in the game over the last few years and is a humble, class act like CJ. Coming off an injury, he wont command as much $ than he is probably worth, but probably get close to 5y, $55 mill.

William Moore (S - Atl) - Delmas has been an indispensible part of our defense, but he needs help. Moore is a young budding star who could be paired with Delmas for years.


DRAFT

TRADE - Lions trade their 1st (5) to NYJ for their 1st (9), 2nd (39), and 2014 2st - People are sying that there are not many QBs worth being picked after Geno Smith in this draft...but just wait. In a weak draft class, ull see a guy like Barkley or Glennon shoot up the boards. Jets may have to leapfrog Cleveland to get their future QB

TRADE - Lions trade their 1st (9) to New Orleans for their 1st (15) 3rd (75), 5th (138) and 2014 1st

1(15) - Chance Warmack (G, Alabama) - May be the best guard to come out in a long time. Him playing next to Reiff will open up a ton of holes for years.

2(36) - Xavier Rhodes (CB - FLorida St) - Long lengthy CB

2(39) - Barrett Jones (C - Alabama) - The leader of one of the best OL in the history of college football. Riola will need to be replaced soon, until then Jones can be the 6th OL like Reiff was last year.

3(65) - Tank Carradine (DE - Florida St)

3(75) - Jawan Jamison (RB - Rutgers)

5(138) - Brodrick Brown (CB - Oklahoma St)

5(145) - Zach Line (FB - SMU) - What!? A fullback??? Yes, The Lions lost too many 3rd and short opportunities last year and need a lead blocker who can catch the ball once a while

6(173) - DeVonte Holloman (LB - S. Car)

7(216) - Caleb Stugis (K - FLorida)


DEFENSE

Lions take a step back with the loss of DEs Cliff Avril and KVB as well as loosing LB Durant and CB Houston. But im hoping Jackson and Young can step up and adding Carradine. Im also hoping Whitehead or Lewis steps up. The secondary looks better though with Moore and Rhodes added


OFFENSE

Stafford gets a big time target with the addition of Jennings. Jawan Jamison takes on Jahvid Best's old role as a 3rd down/ big play back. But what I believe will really take this offense to the next level is adding Chance Warmack to play next to Riley Reiff and open up huge holes for Leshore and others. That will give force defense to respect the run opening up opportunities for CJ and Jennings (and create time for Stafford).


Whats more, we pick up 2, 2014 2st round picks from the JEts and the Saints. This way if we suck this year (or rather when we suck this year) at least we have next years draft to look forward to. You may say this is a loosers mentality, but this is what New England has done in draft years that they did not like and it has worked well for them.
_________________
Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LionsChamps201?


Joined: 03 Jan 2010
Posts: 374
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, restructure whatever contract we can (Stafford) to make cap room
_________________
Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nnivolcm


Joined: 07 Aug 2008
Posts: 8612
Location: Montana
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are very one sided trades imo. A little unrealistic.
_________________
FootballPhreak wrote:
I would absolutely take Stafford over Rivers


Team Stylish
Thanks to Smack for the sig!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SadLionFan00


Joined: 22 Jan 2008
Posts: 14342
Location: Michigan State University
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replacing Houston with a 2nd round rookie?

We are expecting 3 mid round sophemores and a 2nd round rookie to be our CBs next year? I hope not.

Houston should be priority #1 as far a re-signings go this year.
_________________
Silver&Black88 wrote:
Quote:
Trestman is a great coach but Cutler is already a pouty overconfident poo flinger. What more can he do with him?
Get him to fling poo more accurately and make better decisions when flinging it?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
WillParks


Joined: 24 Feb 2009
Posts: 392
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris Houston will be 29 in October and didn't get a lot of wear and tear before he came here. Sign him to a somewhat back-loaded contract so that we can protect ourselves when he is 31 or 32.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rockcity


Joined: 06 Jan 2013
Posts: 1315
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i lke how u think. i to would like to aquire picks next year, but those trades look to heavy in our favor. i think we should resign Houston tho. if it turned out like this id be pretty happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
duanegarrison09


Joined: 11 Nov 2010
Posts: 667
Location: Macomb County, Michigan
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lions drafting frustrates me to no end.

Here we are looking at a possible LB crew of Whitehead/Tulloch/Lewis.....wow!

2009 draft I wanted them to draft James Laurinaitis but we took Louis Delmas.

2010 I wanted Navorro Bowman but we Amari Spievey.

2011 we traded the pick during the draft I was pushing for Mason Foster who looked great in the Senior Bowl.

2012 I wanted Lavonte David they took Ryan Broyles.

2013 I like Arthur Brown, Jelani Jenkins, and Sio Moore but they will take..................... Confused Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
skatebeanz


Joined: 13 Apr 2009
Posts: 19328
Location: Jamison. on the Sweet-sig.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. This is great just cuz we get 3 first round picks in a possibly loaded 2014. Cool

I hope it comes out like this.
_________________

Sig bet
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Karnage_84


Joined: 06 Feb 2007
Posts: 1123
Location: Ottawa
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Lions suck, deal with it - mock Reply with quote

LionsChamps201? wrote:
I've been tinkering with different mocks and Ive realized, no matter what we are really going to suck next year. We were 5-11 last year and we are going to loose 7, 8 of our defensive starters. Also, our offense has a lot of big stats but any Lions follower can tell you that for as much as we spend on that side of the ball we are not that good. Even if we manage to bring the same team back next year - which our cap situation says is an impossibility - we are in a division with Green Bay, Minnesota, and Chicago. Probably the best division in football. Finally, Schwatz's undisciplined culture has led me to believe that we are not going to over-produce.

So with that said, I believe that we need to look towards the future. Not rebuild, per-se, but rather not try to find the answer in a weak draft class.


FA


Let go...

Avril - Will want too much money
KVB (cut) - Makes too much
Durant - will also get a big payday
Houston - Older corner who will get more than he's worth
Lacey - Man this guy sucks!
Coleman - older safety
Cherilus - Nothing missed
Burleson (cut) - Older, overpaid
Young (cut) - Schwatrz wont do it but it needs to happen
Peterman (cut) - Terrible
Best (Retire)



Resign...

SLH (restricted)
Jackson
Young (restricted)
Levy
Delmas - great when hes in there, short term contract till he can prove he can stay healthy


Sign

Gregg Jennings (WR - GB) - The Lions finally get a 2nd target to tae the pressure off of CJ. Jennings has been one of the better WR in the game over the last few years and is a humble, class act like CJ. Coming off an injury, he wont command as much $ than he is probably worth, but probably get close to 5y, $55 mill.

William Moore (S - Atl) - Delmas has been an indispensible part of our defense, but he needs help. Moore is a young budding star who could be paired with Delmas for years.


DRAFT

TRADE - Lions trade their 1st (5) to NYJ for their 1st (9), 2nd (39), and 2014 2st - People are sying that there are not many QBs worth being picked after Geno Smith in this draft...but just wait. In a weak draft class, ull see a guy like Barkley or Glennon shoot up the boards. Jets may have to leapfrog Cleveland to get their future QB

TRADE - Lions trade their 1st (9) to New Orleans for their 1st (15) 3rd (75), 5th (138) and 2014 1st

1(15) - Chance Warmack (G, Alabama) - May be the best guard to come out in a long time. Him playing next to Reiff will open up a ton of holes for years.

2(36) - Xavier Rhodes (CB - FLorida St) - Long lengthy CB

2(39) - Barrett Jones (C - Alabama) - The leader of one of the best OL in the history of college football. Riola will need to be replaced soon, until then Jones can be the 6th OL like Reiff was last year.

3(65) - Tank Carradine (DE - Florida St)

3(75) - Jawan Jamison (RB - Rutgers)

5(138) - Brodrick Brown (CB - Oklahoma St)

5(145) - Zach Line (FB - SMU) - What!? A fullback??? Yes, The Lions lost too many 3rd and short opportunities last year and need a lead blocker who can catch the ball once a while

6(173) - DeVonte Holloman (LB - S. Car)

7(216) - Caleb Stugis (K - FLorida)


DEFENSE

Lions take a step back with the loss of DEs Cliff Avril and KVB as well as loosing LB Durant and CB Houston. But im hoping Jackson and Young can step up and adding Carradine. Im also hoping Whitehead or Lewis steps up. The secondary looks better though with Moore and Rhodes added


OFFENSE

Stafford gets a big time target with the addition of Jennings. Jawan Jamison takes on Jahvid Best's old role as a 3rd down/ big play back. But what I believe will really take this offense to the next level is adding Chance Warmack to play next to Riley Reiff and open up huge holes for Leshore and others. That will give force defense to respect the run opening up opportunities for CJ and Jennings (and create time for Stafford).


Whats more, we pick up 2, 2014 2st round picks from the JEts and the Saints. This way if we suck this year (or rather when we suck this year) at least we have next years draft to look forward to. You may say this is a loosers mentality, but this is what New England has done in draft years that they did not like and it has worked well for them.


Did you forget the potential 4th rd comp pick that we should be getting or is that involved in one of these trades that I missed?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nnivolcm


Joined: 07 Aug 2008
Posts: 8612
Location: Montana
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Lions suck, deal with it - mock Reply with quote

Karnage_84 wrote:
Did you forget the potential 4th rd comp pick that we should be getting or is that involved in one of these trades that I missed?


Can't trade comp picks.
_________________
FootballPhreak wrote:
I would absolutely take Stafford over Rivers


Team Stylish
Thanks to Smack for the sig!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Karnage_84


Joined: 06 Feb 2007
Posts: 1123
Location: Ottawa
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Lions suck, deal with it - mock Reply with quote

Nnivolcm wrote:
Karnage_84 wrote:
Did you forget the potential 4th rd comp pick that we should be getting or is that involved in one of these trades that I missed?


Can't trade comp picks.


Then I guess he's missing it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tyler2015


Joined: 16 Jul 2011
Posts: 1653
Location: D Town
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

duanegarrison09 wrote:
Lions drafting frustrates me to no end.

Here we are looking at a possible LB crew of Whitehead/Tulloch/Lewis.....wow!

2009 draft I wanted them to draft James Laurinaitis but we took Louis Delmas.

2010 I wanted Navorro Bowman but we Amari Spievey.

2011 we traded the pick during the draft I was pushing for Mason Foster who looked great in the Senior Bowl.

2012 I wanted Lavonte David they took Ryan Broyles.

2013 I like Arthur Brown, Jelani Jenkins, and Sio Moore but they will take..................... Confused Laughing


BRAD WING!!!
_________________

daboyle250 on the sig^
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
TL-TwoWinsAway


Joined: 19 Feb 2008
Posts: 25784
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree with almost all of your opening paragraph. First of all, we finished 4-12. Secondly, I don't think we end up losing 7-8 defensive starters. Lastly, I don't believe we're doomed to sucking next year. Considering how teams fluctuate year to year, we could very well make a few tweaks, win close games and find ourselves as the 5th or 6th seed in the NFC.

I disagree with your opinion on our players.

The NO trade seems one-sided.

I like the draft, and the acquisition of future picks.
_________________


Team Stylish
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group