Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

LA wants to move the Falcons to the west coast
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malik wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
Falastine wrote:
And really, what's so attractive about London to players? It's a nice city, but the weather is terrible.
How is the weather worse than any northern climate city, like New York?

rain and rain and rain
So it doesn't rain in New York? color me shocked

OneBadCat wrote:
Ahah Okay first of all Gamble was lost to IR this year but when healthy he proved to be 2nd only to Revis last season.
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StLunatic88 wrote:
What it comes down to, an NFL team in London just isnt that appealing. Just like 18 game seasons, or expanded playoffs, they all sound good in the higher up's heads because all they see is more Dollar $igns. But in the long run they would all likely be failures, and is that minimal bump in revenue worth the blemish & stain it would leave on what is one of the most popular leagues ever right now?

To them, Im sure it is, because the Dollar is king. But to fans it just seems so dumb. In many ways the perfect symmetry & competitive balance is what makes the NFL so popular. They have found what is most efficient & popular in every way. I think in the end it will be much like when the NCAA talked about expanding the Tournament, in the books it looks like more money, but when it comes down to it it just wont work.
I'm curious, tell me why an 18 game season or expanded playoffs would fail? I mean there are legitimate logistics issues w/ putting a team in London, but expanding the game is worth figuring those logistics out. Outside of you just being used to 16 games, and 12 teams in the playoffs; please tell me why those other 2 wouldn't work.

My point is this, some people (such as yourself) are just resistant to change, but in the real world you either adapt or you die. Change is a' coming. There WILL be a team in London w/in the next 10 years. Playoffs will be expanded. The schedule is eventually going to be expanded. The Pistol offense is going to be a major part of NFL offenses for the forseeable future. Change is a'coming

OneBadCat wrote:
Ahah Okay first of all Gamble was lost to IR this year but when healthy he proved to be 2nd only to Revis last season.
Malik

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
Malik wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
Falastine wrote:
And really, what's so attractive about London to players? It's a nice city, but the weather is terrible.

rain and rain and rain

Not with the frequency that it does in London.
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malik wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
Malik wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
Falastine wrote:

rain and rain and rain

funny you say that since London averages about half of the avg yearly rainfall of New York.

OneBadCat wrote:
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
My point is this, some people (such as yourself) are just resistant to change, but in the real world you either adapt or you die.

The only one being resistant to this whole stance is you. This idea of a London franchise has been shot down by several folks...but you continue the idea, attempting to dismiss complex issues with financial and logistics with "simple" answers that hold no sort of merit when weighed against actual costs and actual application, no rebuttal to the television angle brought on by The LBC, and a quick dismissal towards people who LIVE in England and flat out say "Nah, it wouldn't work..." or any sort of scheduling conflicts you've thought up.

(You propose four weeks on/four weeks off. Pray tell, does the team start the season with four games on the road? How much of a disadvantage is that in the early parts of the season? Do they start the season with four weeks at home? So Opening Day opponents have to take their bye week on week 2?)

I admire the continued drive towards your stance, at the least. It's been disproven by more than just me, but you keep on truckin.

Quote:
Change is a' coming. There WILL be a team in London w/in the next 10 years. Playoffs will be expanded. The schedule is eventually going to be expanded. The Pistol offense is going to be a major part of NFL offenses for the forseeable future. Change is a'coming

Most of this I can agree with (playoffs, 18 game schedule...notsomuch on the Pistol, but that's another discussion) but the only way - and I mean ONLY way - that the NFL starts finding itself overseas is when aviation companies start to invest in supersonic craft, one that can make the trip from London to NY in 3-4 hours. The technology exists, but is too cost prohibitive for any of the airlines or avionitcs to take on within mass production (The Concorde was a bird that could make the trip - it made Heathrow to JFK in slightly less than 3 hours - but Air France and British Airways discontinued use as well as future maintenance of that particular plane, citing costs as well as the overall lag in the aviation industry).

You find someone to take on supersonic travel and make it a viable, cost effective venture, then you MAY be onto something. Given the current landscape of aviation from a financial perspective, that's not a slam dunk.

iPwn, Kempes and Flaccomania: The official sig makers for THE ET80!
Mancunian Raven

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
Malik wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
Malik wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
Falastine wrote:

rain and rain and rain

funny you say that since London averages about half of the avg yearly rainfall of New York.

Yeah, the rain in the South East of England is not high at all. It's more common in Kent to have water shortages than heavy rains. If the franchise was in Manchester or further north, then the weather would definitely be a factor.

Still, I maintain that a London franchise would not be successful, either in the short term or long term, because those interested in the sport already have their loyalties, and those not interested are less likely to get invested than your average American, simply because American Football is looked down on by a lot of people who don't watch it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why should LA get a team? If I was the NFL I would tell them to go pound sand. They have had several chances and could not hold a team there. I say give a diferent city a chance.
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
My point is this, some people (such as yourself) are just resistant to change, but in the real world you either adapt or you die.

The only one being resistant to this whole stance is you. This idea of a London franchise has been shot down by several folks...but you continue the idea, attempting to dismiss complex issues with financial and logistics with "simple" answers that hold no sort of merit when weighed against actual costs and actual application, no rebuttal to the television angle brought on by The LBC, and a quick dismissal towards people who LIVE in England and flat out say "Nah, it wouldn't work..." or any sort of scheduling conflicts you've thought up.

(You propose four weeks on/four weeks off. Pray tell, does the team start the season with four games on the road? How much of a disadvantage is that in the early parts of the season? Do they start the season with four weeks at home? So Opening Day opponents have to take their bye week on week 2?)

I admire the continued drive towards your stance, at the least. It's been disproven by more than just me, but you keep on truckin.

Quote:
Change is a' coming. There WILL be a team in London w/in the next 10 years. Playoffs will be expanded. The schedule is eventually going to be expanded. The Pistol offense is going to be a major part of NFL offenses for the forseeable future. Change is a'coming

Most of this I can agree with (playoffs, 18 game schedule...notsomuch on the Pistol, but that's another discussion) but the only way - and I mean ONLY way - that the NFL starts finding itself overseas is when aviation companies start to invest in supersonic craft, one that can make the trip from London to NY in 3-4 hours. The technology exists, but is too cost prohibitive for any of the airlines or avionitcs to take on within mass production (The Concorde was a bird that could make the trip - it made Heathrow to JFK in slightly less than 3 hours - but Air France and British Airways discontinued use as well as future maintenance of that particular plane, citing costs as well as the overall lag in the aviation industry).

You find someone to take on supersonic travel and make it a viable, cost effective venture, then you MAY be onto something. Given the current landscape of aviation from a financial perspective, that's not a slam dunk.
Im not saying there's not challenges, there absolutely are, but the NFL wants a team over there, so they will make it happen. I'm not even saying I want a team over there, I'm just saying I'm relatively certain its going to happen, and there are solutions to every challenge.

OneBadCat wrote:
iPwn

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetfuel wrote:
Why should LA get a team? If I was the NFL I would tell them to go pound sand. They have had several chances and could not hold a team there. I say give a diferent city a chance.
It's not really the fault of the city for losing the Rams, as the owner was from St Louis and wanted nothing but to move the team there. The Raiders left because the city was doing renovations on the stadium, but stopped when the massive earthquake hit the stadium and destroyed all the work they had been doing. Not sure why either of those situations should create a "go pound sand" response to them wanting another team.

The road to success is always under construction - Gus Bradley
#JagsOnly
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetfuel wrote:

I will defer to The LBC and J Pep 4 Step (as they're the experts on the subject) but I want to say that you can't hold the city of LA accountable for the actions of Al Davis and Georgia Frontierre. They moved for the sake of moving, IIRC - Frontierre was only interested in making the Rams her personal piggybank and took the first sweetheart deal that came her way in St. Louis, Davis was ironclad in his demands for stadium specs and when LA didn't deliver at 100% (they had deals in place that would concede somewhere to 90% of what Davis wanted) Davis moved the team.

Again - LBC and J Pep are the guys to speak the best to this.

EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:

Quote:

Im not saying there's not challenges, there absolutely are, but the NFL wants a team over there, so they will make it happen. I'm not even saying I want a team over there, I'm just saying I'm relatively certain its going to happen, and there are solutions to every challenge.

The NFL wants it, yes...but they're not in the driver seat in regards to this. They've been wanting a team in LA for a MUCH longer time, and we've seen how long that has taken.

DawgSoldier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idoubt any team is EVER moved to LA due to insane taxes in California and LA as well.

Pro Athletes that live in California are leaving it because of taxes. And athletes are more and more looking at the tax situation when they are Free agents.

Seriously and additional 13% income tax in Cali or go to a state with no income tax.

Adopt a Brown: QB Brandon Weeden
247/433 57% 2820yds 6.5avg 13 TD 15 Int
Bednarik60

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DawgSoldier wrote:
Idoubt any team is EVER moved to LA due to insane taxes in California and LA as well.

Pro Athletes that live in California are leaving it because of taxes. And athletes are more and more looking at the tax situation when they are Free agents.

Seriously and additional 13% income tax in Cali or go to a state with no income tax.

hahahaha but can you make so much for endorsements and through social networking in LA.

no one is leaving Cali... more people if anything are moving to Cali both poor and rich.

women weather liberal pot laws and the party scene are why athletes are dying to move to cali.

most of the country is is conservative and rural with bad weather.... why any one would ever want to not live on the west coast amazes me but if you have the money ..that good money its a no brainer ..you wanna be in cali..

Sig/Art by The Great Silo
#championCHIP #CHIPlife #Sparkles
daboyle250

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DCRED wrote:
MKnight82 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
I'm still cleaning up the stains in my pants! Laughing
Ewwww.
worse thing is they've been there since Shanahan was fired
J Pep 4 Step

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malik wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
Falastine wrote:

rain and rain and rain

Seattle?

Lets face it, London is an amazing destination. It's a world capital. Anyone with half a brain would be delighted to go there. But I dont see London as a legitimate destination. Not now. Maybe not ever. And certainly not until we have NFL teams in large US cities like Los Angeles, San Antonio or Portland. And I think we would expand north long before we expand across the pond.

CK on the sig

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: