Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

LA wants to move the Falcons to the west coast
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thomas5737

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J Pep 4 Step wrote:
Thomas5737 wrote:
J Pep 4 Step wrote:
Falastine wrote:
J Pep 4 Step wrote:
Falastine wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
Falastine wrote:
And really, what's so attractive about London to players? It's a nice city, but the weather is terrible.
How is the weather worse than any northern climate city, like New York?

It's always rainy, foggy, and depressing.

Which describes Seattle pretty well.

True, but players don't have to travel to a different continent to play there. London isn't THAT attractive.

Are you kidding? Its incredibly attractive. It's europe! It's european women. European food. European nightlife. European sights. All at your doorstep!

London is an incredibly cosmopolitan city. And it's located a stones throw from all of western europe. Its an incredibly attractive destination.

And just so you know, people LOVE the PACNW. I would imagine Seattle would easily be in the top half of players wish lists. Its an amazing place to live.

Hey Baby

I cant imagine that kinda stuff (or on that level) is hard to find in west friggin virginia.

Hey watch it bud, we are proud people. Did you know we invented the toothbrush? I wonder if it had been invented in another state (besides Kentucky) if they would have called it a teethbrush hmmm.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really wish this thread stuck to the topic at hand.

RIP Joe Pa
J Pep 4 Step

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D0 TH3 D3W wrote:
I really wish this thread stuck to the topic at hand.

How much more is there to discuss? Have you heard anything new? Los Angeles wants a team. Any team with stadium issues will be considered. And team considered will be approached. Any team approached will use that fact as leverage to try and lock up a new stadium deal.

CK on the sig
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StLunatic88 wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
You understand that the 18 game schedule would take 18 of the 20 games players currently play in (playoffs not included obviously) instead of 16 of the 20. IOW players already play those games, they just call them preseason and rip off STH and fans charging full price for exhibition games. How many meaningless games were there in week 16 this year? Correct me if I'm wrong but the seeding wasn't even decided until the very last game of the night, and the day started out w/ 6 teams vying for 1 playoff spot. All that would really change is YOU (the viewer) get to see more real football in the year.
Are you 100% confident that is what they would do? I know thats what all the pundits & others say "Oh, they will just convert 2 preseason games" but do you honestly think its out of the realm of possibility that the owners would take that expansion as a chance to stick it to us for an EXTRA 2 games? Keep the Preseason (as coaches & GMs actually use those) and get even more money out of the move?

Again, that is only one thing to settle on. It will likely happen at some point, as I conceded before, but that doesn't mean its the correct move to make.
Yeah, I'm pretty much 100% confident on that as what I stated is the PROPOSAL in front of the competition committee. If they did the way you are suggesting it would have to be approved by the NFLPA and they would need to pay MORE MONEY to the players to make it happen.

OneBadCat wrote:
Ahah Okay first of all Gamble was lost to IR this year but when healthy he proved to be 2nd only to Revis last season.
J Pep 4 Step

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StLunatic88 wrote:
Anyone trying to say this with certainty is just being foolish. How bad are half the games in week 15 & 16? the ones that dont mean anything? So now you have 2 more games, more games of guys getting hurt, and more wear & tear on bodies before the playoffs even start.

There will always be bad games towards the end of the year. Adding two more games will not add more. All it will do is move them 2 weeks later into the year.

Wear and tear isnt a concern for me. The Ravens and Niners dont look any more particularly worse for wear at this point than teams that stopped playing 2 weeks ago.

Quote:
Im not saying they wont happen, but just because they will, doent mean they should. People can talk about "adapt or die" but that only applies when you are forced to. Who is forcing the NFL? Who is even challenging them with anything? No matter what the product is, there becomes a point of diminishing returns, and to me, an 18 game season or adding 2-4 more teams to the playoffs will be past that point. And why cant I throw out "If it aint broke dont fix it"...

You can throw out the "if it aint broke" argument all day. Thats your prerogative. But the NFL wasnt broke before it expanded to 14 games. It wasnt broke when it expanded to 16 games. It wasnt broke when it expanded to 32 teams either. The "if it aint broke" argument stood in the way of every step that got us to this perfect symmetry you appreciate so much.

Adding 2 games to the season isnt going to oversaturate the market. It isnt going to water down the product like an expansion would (which I am against) or adding more teams to the playoffs would (which I am also against). All it does is give the fans more meaningful football.

Quote:
Unless the owners are willing to change alot of things for just 2 extra games (roster sizes, pre-season, pay for those 2 games) there are some major hurdles to these things also. Its not as easy as many expect it to be.

I dont think anything you mentioned would be considered a major hurdle. Certainly not in the face of the gains these 2 extra games represent. The owners stand to make more money. The players stand to make more money. The fans get more football. And, as an added bonus, more players have a shot at making the active roster. Nothing you mentioned would prove much of a hurdle. The only hurdle would be at the negotiating table where the players and owners will haggle over pay. Which is what nixed the idea during the last CBA.

Quote:
The game has never grown in popularity as it has in the past decade.

Do you have any numbers to back that up? Because the NFL exploded in polularity in the 80's and 90's.

Quote:
And to act like the symmetry of the league has nothing to do with it is just being naive. Its human nature that we like things to be aligned correctly, it makes us comfortable. Im not saying the NFL wouldnt be popular, but it is one of those subconscious things that helps people be drawn to it.

First I am foolish, now I am naive? Come on, big guy. Save the ad hominems.

Symmetrical divisions do not attract anyone to this game. The play on the field does. That isnt being naive. Thats being realistic. Symmetry is nice. But the NFL became what it is today without symmetry. And it would continue to grow if we lost that symmetry. Because its the product on the field that matters. The play. The games. And two more games gives everyone more of what they love. Well, almost everyone. Some people prefer symmetry.

You like it the way it is. It makes sense to you the way it is. Thats fine. If we lost that symmetry you would get over it. I promise you. Life would go on. Football would go on. Your love of the game would go on.

CK on the sig
NextBigThing

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

London has Mollie King & the players would be gods.

Have to be crazy to not want to play in merry ole' England!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: