Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Arian Foster to undergo heart surgery
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kenney

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:17 am    Post subject: Arian Foster to undergo heart surgery Reply with quote

As some of you may recall, Foster had an issue with an irregular heartbeat in the week 16 game against Minnesota. Apparently, he will be undergoing surgery in February to correct the problem.

This is a pretty big deal. I hope he recovers well and doesn't face any further issues.
RaidersAreOne

Location: Canada, but don't worry... i'm not one of those damn dirty french.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Hope everything goes well for him.

First jersey purchased: Jamarcus Russell.
Second jersey purchased: Rolando McClain.
Next purchases: Every Chiefs, Chargers and Broncos player.
JTagg7754 on the sig.
Macc_Aviv

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scary stuff. Any medical people have a better idea of what the ailment is and what the surgery will correct?

I personally know former NBA player Fred Hoiberg whose career was ended by heart surgery. He had a pace-maker put in so I hope nothing like that happens with Foster. Hoiberg was initially going to return too until they determined there was a 1% chance risk he could die on the court.

Hope it's nothing major and that Foster has a speedy recovery.
sayheykid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a mild arrhythmia, but luckily mine is manageable and slight enough that it doesn't require surgery. Even in my relatively harmless case, it can scary as hell when the palpitations really get going. I wish him nothing but the best and a speedy recovery.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, pretty crazy. Never heard NFL players undergoing heart surgery in the offseason before.
james.mcmurry13

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

titwio wrote:
Wow, pretty crazy. Never heard NFL players undergoing heart surgery in the offseason before.

Closest thing I could think of would be Ronnie Turiaf in the NBA, I think his was for an enlarged heart. Hopefully Foster's procedure goes smoothly.
JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope for the best and an easy recovery

thanks El ramster

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
reckless123

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoping Arian has a speedy and smooth recovery.

"I'm not in the danger, I AM the DANGER" - Heisenberg
TheKillerNacho

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woah!

Wish him the best!

Nacho Simulation Football League
theJ

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think technically an ablation is actually called a "procedure". There's no real risk involved and they don't actually open him up. It's just to try to shock his heart back into rhythm.

This isn't really as big of a deal as people are going to make it out to be. But i am looking forward to the overreaction.

OMGZ, WILL HE EVER PLAY AGAIN!!?!?!??

Don't follow your passion, take your passion with you.
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

james.mcmurry13 wrote:
titwio wrote:

Closest thing I could think of would be Ronnie Turiaf in the NBA, I think his was for an enlarged heart. Hopefully Foster's procedure goes smoothly.

This was the talk on 610 radio today; Arrhythmia was the condition that the likes of Hank Gathers and Reggie Lewis had, conditions that eventually killed both men.

When I heard this, I got scared for Arian's overall health. Football is trivial, couldn't care less about it - I just hope this procedure goes off without any issues and properly correct anything that could be going on with Foster. If it does, I don't care if he never plays another down of football again. There are things more important than football.

iPwn, Kempes and Flaccomania: The official sig makers for THE ET80!
theJ

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Arian Foster to undergo heart surgery Reply with quote

kenney wrote:
As some of you may recall, Foster had an issue with an irregular heartbeat in the week 16 game against Minnesota. Apparently, he will be undergoing surgery in February to correct the problem.

This is a pretty big deal. I hope he recovers well and doesn't face any further issues.

Yeah i just read the article. It's a procedure. Your post title is very misleading. This is not a major deal. Just a minor thing, may be in the hospital for 1-2 days. Definitely not anything like open heart surgery.

theJ

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
james.mcmurry13 wrote:
titwio wrote:

This was the talk on 610 radio today; Arrhythmia was the condition that the likes of Hank Gathers and Reggie Lewis had, conditions that eventually killed both men.

When I heard this, I got scared for Arian's overall health. Football is trivial, couldn't care less about it - I just hope this procedure goes off without any issues and properly correct anything that could be going on with Foster. If it does, I don't care if he never plays another down of football again. There are things more important than football.

The surgery that Turiaf had was way more risky than what Foster is going to go through.

And some arrhythmia's are harmless. Some are not. Let's not fly off the handle and act like Foster is going to die soon. They've known about this issue for a while, and it does not sound serious. (though the media will definitely run the story otherwise)

Last edited by theJ on Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:25 am; edited 1 time in total
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theJ wrote:
I think technically an ablation is actually called a "procedure". There's no real risk involved and they don't actually open him up. It's just to try to shock his heart back into rhythm.

This isn't really as big of a deal as people are going to make it out to be. But i am looking forward to the overreaction.

Nah, I understand that - but as someone who remembers the story of Gathers and Lewis, I'm not one to make assumptions on heart conditions.

By most accounts, these two basketball players had their conditions "in control" via medication, and both were heavily monitored. However, when you're dealing with the heart, one minor miscalculation is all that is needed to lead to some fatal results.

If he does play, that's great. But, if he were to weigh out the risks to be greater than the rewards and choose to walk away, I wouldn't be bitter in the slightest.

iPwn, Kempes and Flaccomania: The official sig makers for THE ET80!
theJ

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
theJ wrote:

Nah, I understand that - but as someone who remembers the story of Gathers and Lewis, I'm not one to make assumptions on heart conditions.

By most accounts, these two basketball players had their conditions "in control" via medication, and both were heavily monitored. However, when you're dealing with the heart, one minor miscalculation is all that is needed to lead to some fatal results.

If he does play, that's great. But, if he were to weigh out the risks to be greater than the rewards and choose to walk away, I wouldn't be bitter in the slightest.

Some arrhythmia's are more dangerous than others (late editing that into my last post). None of us really know for sure how serious this is, but from what i'm reading i would not think this is very serious.

EDIT: my father has atrial fibrillation, a form of arrhythmia. He's gone through this exact procedure 3 times now. The condition is not considered serious by any means, but it does cause him to be tired all the time because his heart does not pump as well as it should. He would sometimes get these same exact episodes as Foster. Racing heart and whatnot. Not life threatening, but life altering. For all we know, this is the exact same thing.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: