Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Who is your TOP pick in the draft? Pre-combine

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smitty89

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:51 am    Post subject: Who is your TOP pick in the draft? Pre-combine Reply with quote

List your specific player.

The player want more than anything and something we have never had, Matt Elam. Will be a perrenial All-pro caliber level safety. The nfl is becoming a passing-vertical-deep attacking league and we run the deepest attacking O in the NFL, draft Elam to defend basically what the other team is going to have to do to keep up, go deep and score.

Matt Elam should be the pick, I'm sick of not having anyone back there to trust. Either Elam, I'd take Reid or call up Minter maybe he can still take a few guys heads off crossing the middle.

We've picked every other position in the first except a safety, we've also never had a GM I like so make it happen 'Godfather' Gettlemen!
HighPointNCKid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Who is your TOP pick in the draft? Pre-combine Reply with quote

Smitty89 wrote:
List your specific player.

The player want more than anything and something we have never had, Matt Elam. Will be a perrenial All-pro caliber level safety. The nfl is becoming a passing-vertical-deep attacking league and we run the deepest attacking O in the NFL, draft Elam to defend basically what the other team is going to have to do to keep up, go deep and score.

Matt Elam should be the pick, I'm sick of not having anyone back there to trust. Either Elam, I'd take Reid or call up Minter maybe he can still take a few guys heads off crossing the middle.

We've picked every other position in the first except a safety, we've also never had a GM I like so make it happen 'Godfather' Gettlemen!

I want Kawann Short! That dude dominated at the senior bowl. I have wanted a DT since Jenkins left and I think he can come in and make an immediate impact. I wouldnt be mad if we took a FS though.
jbegley8

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we could draft anyone I would love to get either Luke Joeckel or Star Lotulelei but since we most likely wont get either of those guys I would be happy if we draft Dt Johnathan Hankins or Ot Eric Fisher.
iknowcool

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Dion Jordan a lot. I think this all depends on how we feel our chances stand re-signing Hardy next season because you have to think long term in the draft similar to how the Giants did when selecting JPP when they already had Tuck and Osi. Personally, while I'd love to keep him, and I have a feeling Hardy is one of those guys who couldn't care less about $$, you have to think we might be in a situation where we won't be able to. If our front office agrees, I wouldn't mind Jordan at all though I know a lot of people don't look at him as fondly as a prospect.

I'd really like Dee Milliner but he is another guy I'm not expecting to be where we pick. Plus I'm beginning to think it isn't too hard to find quality corners via free agency or later in the draft. Granted coaching plays a part in it but look no further than the San Francisco or Seattle secondary. Safety, on the otherhand, seems to be more important because the performance of the 2 safeties you have is what could be the difference between allowing a 15 yard gain and a 30 yard gain. I love Matt Elam.

If, however, we don't go Elam in the first round but still looking at safety, there is DJ Swearinger in the second. Great upside and he'd be our defensive enforcer. Very versatile too.

Then there is Lane Johnson and Eric Fisher. Talked about them in the other thread. I wouldn't be opposed to either of them and think of them as great LT prospects.

Finally, we get to the position we've needed since 2008 - defensive tackle. Everyone but Star is an option at DT at our pick potentially. There are some good ones. I think we need to make sure we're looking at defensive tackles that Rivera seems to like and the kind of DTs New York tended to draft - penetrating ones. Guys that just aren't there to stuff the run or take up blockers but to apply pressure. Jonathan Hankins fits the bill and has an added plus to his name due to his ability to stuff the run. I am not a Shariff Floyd fan at all and hope we don't take him but he is talented and fits the bill. Sheldon Richardson is probably the best example of what Rivera may want but I sort of question how motivated he is.

Then there are some guys who play positions I hope we shy away from but the players who play them are darn good. Keenan Allen has great technique. But I'm not sure he is an ideal fit for how Newton operates, who likes to hit the deep ball. If Smith was younger, I'd love Allen. But I think we'll be looking for an explosive kind of player to replace Smith. Allen would be a better fit for a more methodical quarterback like Luck and not guys like CN or Russell. But I'd still welcome him if that is the direction we went. You have Chance Warmack, who is just a monster, but plays guard. Then some other receivers like Patterson and whatnot.

If I had to choose right now, I'd go with either Fisher/Johnson or Elam.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: