Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Are College Coaches better drafters?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MARIO MANGELINI

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shawn wrote:
You need to look at other college coaches turned NFL head coaches and not just Pete Caroll. Otherwise it does not really prove anything. And we will have to wait a few more draft classes to see what becomes of these players.

While both Harbaugh and Caroll have done an excellent job of adding talent to their teams, they do have picks like James Carpenter and AJ Jenkins bringing them back down to earth with the rest of us.

Woah that's very early to call them bad picks. AJ had a rookie year, and Carpenter has been injured. I'll agree they've underwhelmed, but still, they might turn into HOF's for all we know.
willy_law

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MARIO MANGELINI wrote:
shawn wrote:
You need to look at other college coaches turned NFL head coaches and not just Pete Caroll. Otherwise it does not really prove anything. And we will have to wait a few more draft classes to see what becomes of these players.

While both Harbaugh and Caroll have done an excellent job of adding talent to their teams, they do have picks like James Carpenter and AJ Jenkins bringing them back down to earth with the rest of us.

Woah that's very early to call them bad picks. AJ had a rookie year, and Carpenter has been injured. I'll agree they've underwhelmed, but still, they might turn into HOF's for all we know.

Yeah, I was going to look at other coaches and did not, i realize the Carroll sample size is to small. I think seeing how Harbaugh, Schiano and company do in a few years will be a good barometer, I am even going to look at at coaches like Saban and Petrino when I come up with the new metric.
gooselovechild

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A really good argument can be made that Pete Carroll isn't a "college" coach at all, since he was a head coach twice in the NFL before he went to USC.

I also don't think you can judge how good at drafting a GM/coach is based on such small sample sizes. Putting Carroll and Harbaugh in the same category as Ozzie Newsome, Ted Thompson, or Jerry Reese and their long-term drafting prowess--none of whom are former college guys--after only 2 drafts is premature.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: