Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

"This is chess, it ain't checkers" Mock

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StewieRules

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: "This is chess, it ain't checkers" Mock Reply with quote

Pretty simple breakdown, I'd add pics if I knew how damn it ~

FA's retained

Phil Dawson
Ben Watson
Josh Cribbs (I think the owner likes him & the guy has earned his stripes here, gotta give him that)

current RFA's retained

FA's added

Martellus Bennett (6-6. 260) TE - Chud & Norv make use of TE's that create mismatches. Ben's retained so he and Bennett make a nice 1-2 combo. JC has to prove that athleticism equals production.

Louis Vasquez (6-3, 320) G - Replaces Lauvao, who while improved, is not a consistent starter.

Brian Hartline (6-2, 200) WR - Ohio boy comes home, helps create a very solid WR corps. Good hands are always a good thing.

Derrick Anderson (6-6, 230) QB - NOT saying I like it but he knows Chud's system and has the arm to handle the winds & weather.

Draft
Given the lack of true cutting edge talent in the top 10, this is nonetheless a solid draft overall, with good depth at rush backer. Without a top flight QB to bait, I envision a Mangini-style gradual trade down from #6 to the bottom end of round 1 (you guys all know the possibilities are too numerous to calculate, but safe to say it can be done), the goal being to pick up a 2nd (also towards the latter part of that round) perhaps an additional 4th but most importantly, a 2014 1st - there should be a few marque players we'd have an interest in, be it Manziel, Bridgewater, Clowney, etc - pick your poison, but I think given the depth of rush backers and the overall strength of this draft, trading down makes the most sense, especially given a scheme change on defense.

1 - (20th-25th territory)
Jordan Poyer (6-0, 182) CB, Oregon State - Impressed at the Senior Bowl enough to move into late-1st consideration. Trufant also impressed, but Poyer seems to have that "it" factor despite less than blazing speed - a solid compliment to Haden.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaVJ_v5WK1k

2 - (latter part of the round via trade-down) -
Alex Okafor (6-4, 260) DE, Texas - Solid career, solid SB showing - didn't display a dazzling array of moves but did what he did with power & good technique. This position is key for an attacking 34 D and frankly we don't have much.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGo3BVi_7Do

3 - TJ McDonald (6-2, 212) S, USC - Rangy fluid safety who hits with authority, he played on a ~meh~ defense but looks to be the FS we've been lacking for quite a while now.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFhM3A6EqU0

4 -
a) Lonnie Pryor (6-0, 230) FB, Florida - I know most want a pure smash-mouth FB, but Pryor blocks like one and can also run & catch - as much as FB is a weapon in a vertical passing game, his versatility is something Chud could use.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doNyjdbdLOM

b) (via trade down) - David Bass (6-4, 270) DE/OLB, Missouri Western.
Ansah draws all sorts of "raw but athletic freak" comments/reviews, but Bass could also fit that bill. DE in college, OLB for us. Several scouts compare him to Aldon Smith only stronger - dominated lower division, worth a shot at his point in the draft at a position of need for this team IMO.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJtozzcJTNs

5 - Tyrann Mathieu (5-9, 177) CB, LSU - Could he be the next news-making headcase? Sure could. BUT, the kid is a football player with intangibles that are off the charts, in the slot he could be lethal. Plays bigger than he is and is tough as they come. How do you not take a shot?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixGedaeYz-I

6-
a) Ray Allen (6-2, 215) P, LA Tech - so long Hodges

b) Shamarko Thomas (5-9, 217) SS, Syracuse - Speed, play-making ability, tenacity and depth for a position in need of it. Ward's a key player but he's missed time enough to warrant taking Thomas here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYH4ZlmD_gM

Well, my 1st mock of this year - have at it!

Last edited by StewieRules on Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Marky

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Paul Vazquez supposed to be Louis Vazquez?

I like it a lot, although I believe we some how get a 7th (comp or we own someones?) and Thomas won't last that long. Actually swamp Thomas and Pryor and it's really good!

XBL-theUrbanator69
Student @ smww.com
Twitter: @draft4mark
StewieRules

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good catch Marky - I live/work in Bangkok and it's late here hahaa

As for where drafted. I basically used CBS sports and a few other cross references for a best guess as to who goes where. But you could well be right, especially given where FB's usually go.
Marky

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StewieRules wrote:
Good catch Marky - I live/work in Bangkok and it's late here hahaa

As for where drafted. I basically used CBS sports and a few other cross references for a best guess as to who goes where. But you could well be right, especially given where FB's usually go.

Well we did draft Marecic in the 4th, so I guess it is possible Rolling Eyes

Love getting a 1st in 2014 btw.

XBL-theUrbanator69
Student @ smww.com
Twitter: @draft4mark
Dropkick_pride

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: "This is chess, it ain't checkers" Mock Reply with quote

a few comments from me... I dont hate any of it, and its actually pretty good for a first swing. Wink

StewieRules wrote:

FA's retained
Ben Watson - simply too old now, and his production is weak at best.
Josh Cribbs - he is older for a returner, and his production is just above average... not a wr... has came out publicly complaining more than once... time to walk away.

FA's added
Brian Hartline - i dont know why I dont like him? just me I guess...

Draft
2 - (latter part of the round via trade-down) -
Alex Okafor --- many in Atlanta are looking at him as one of their top targets in the first.

I could never go to Bangkok.... way too many temptations there.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good except Anderson. I'd rather sign Alex Smith.
StewieRules

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been here in Bangkok 6 months now, fly all over SE Asia - gotta admit, its pretty awesome Wink

About Smith - I just don't see him in a vertical game. I know he had a good year last season & was doing well this season up intul his injury, but Harbaugh saw something in the mix that lead him to go with Kaepernick - and I don't think it was just mobility. Smith lacks something. As a number 2 he'd be great in the right system, but in a vertical attack I don't see it any more than I liked Weeden in a WCO.

I'm no real fan of DA (although I was grateful for '07) but the guy knows Chud's system and as a backup, in Cleveland, I think he'd be a better fit.
cattleman78

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haslim says we will bring in a q.b. to compete with Weeden. God help us if it is Derek Anderson. Hardly anything would make me lose faith in our new front office than bringing in Anderson. Been down that road before.

Your draft is fairly decent. Watson I would sign for one year. Can't go with all youngsters at tight end. Cribbs probably not unless it was a very friendly contract. Now if we sign Bennett at tight end I'd forget about signing Watson.
I am starting to like T.J. McDonald more and more.

Adopted Brown Tashaun Gipson safety
vs. g.bay 7 tackles,2 asst. tackles and 1 pass defended

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: