Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Eagles re-sign Michael Vick to a 1-year deal
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bleedin_Green36

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WhackyPlague wrote:
Billy Spikes wrote:
***Update***
Quote:
Source confirms $3.5m to sign, $3.5m base, $1.5m in playtime incentives, $1.5m Super Bowl.

http://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/statuses/301151019180630017

That's more expensive than I wanted to see. So $7 million if he rides the bench. Confused

Didn't we pay Vince Young like 6 mill? Vick would have gotten more on the open market. And plus, you throw in Foles 3rd rd salary, our qb position will probably be around 9 mill total, not a big deal.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't care what anyone says, the Eagles had no choice but to keep Vick. It was the smart thing to do. There's not one starting-caliber QB in this free agent class and the best one available for trade will be Alex Smith unless he's released. The draft's week for QBs. With a new coach, the Eagles would have been stupid to release him and not at least give him another year to see what happens. Of course, it all depended on restructuring the contract and it was able to get done so it's a good move.

Vick's got to stop the turnovers and has to be better at decision-making. But I will say this, in defense of Vick, for I still think he's a decent QB and still a starter, that offensive line has to get better and healthy. We'll see what they do in free agency and the draft (releasing Bell is a start) but they missed Peters desperately last year, not to mention Kelce and Herremans. It's hard for any QB to stand upright when half of the starting linemen were on IR but it's even worse for a QB as fragile as Vick who gets hit a lot because it's part of his game to move outside the pocket. If the Eagles go into the season with a healthy and improved line, I think Vick could do decent under Kelly. I'm not sold on Foles so at this point I think Vick will be the starter in Week 1.
eagles101

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

while so far this offseason is exactly what i didnt want to happen....this isnt so bad. we are paying him very little and there is no one else on the market thats any better. if we had the option of any available qb, draft, FA, or trade....hes the best option. the only problem i had with him is the money....so now thats fixed. we are going to suck next year but there is little we could do with the coaching decisions we made.

props to deadpulse

vikingsvikings wrote:

I don't understand most of that, but I can tell it's probably inaccurate.
Dropkick_pride

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

makes sense...

keep Vick, bring in Dixon...

Foles? trade him. there are 5 or 6 QBs that could be brought in as depth to run Chips offense, and use what you get for Foles to add to roster elsewhere.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Thank goodness, the Vick to MN talk is over with!

There was no real talk. Frazier wasn't just going to pull Ponder for a guy that probably doesn't even fit his system (which at this point I assume is just play like an average game manager. Laughing )

I am surprised. I thought for sure he'd be a Jet. I don't trust Vick at all, but if he can just limit the turnovers and mistakes, maybe Philadelphia has a chance this season. Now that Andy Reid is gone, they can re-realize that Shady McCoy actually does play for the Eagles.

Not your typical Vikings anymore.
babyatemydingo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This just kept all options alive.

Vick is due the same $3M he was due anyway plus $500,000.
He gets another $3.5M for being on the opening day roster.
He can still be cut.

Or traded. Yes, traded.

Is Vick a horrible back-up for $3.5M?
Is a team going to fret about paying him another $3M if they win the Super Bowl?

Some teams actually makes sense.
Take the 49'ers.
If they trade Alex Smith they will have no one to back up Kaepernick.
Why not get a guy with a similar skill set?
Hell, they are set to pay Alex Smith $8.5M.
Also, they'd be swapping out about what they got for Smith to get Vick.

I know, eleventeen 49'ers fans are going to post how Vick sucks and how Tolzein is great because they have him. blah, blah, blah

At this point Vick's $3.5M is commensurate with what a team would pay a decent back up.
Sure, there's another $3M in incentives.
But, if he meet those wasn't he worth it, champs?
WhackyPlague

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:
I don't trust Vick at all, but if he can just limit the turnovers and mistakes, maybe Philadelphia has a chance this season. Now that Andy Reid is gone, they can re-realize that Shady McCoy actually does play for the Eagles.

Hopefully. Even if Vick sucks, which I fully expect, Kelly should be creative enough to make something happen. Between McCoy, Bryce Brown, DeSean, and Maclin, this offense should be able to score points. Especially if Peters, Herremans, and Kelce come back healthy on the OL.
WhackyPlague

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

babyatemydingo wrote:
This just kept all options alive.

Vick is due the same $3M he was due anyway plus $500,000.
He gets another $3.5M for being on the opening day roster.
He can still be cut.

Or traded. Yes, traded.

Is Vick a horrible back-up for $3.5M?
Is a team going to fret about paying him another $3M if they win the Super Bowl?

Some teams actually makes sense.
Take the 49'ers.
If they trade Alex Smith they will have no one to back up Kaepernick.
Why not get a guy with a similar skill set?
Hell, they are set to pay Alex Smith $8.5M.
Also, they'd be swapping out about what they got for Smith to get Vick.

I know, eleventeen 49'ers fans are going to post how Vick sucks and how Tolzein is great because they have him. blah, blah, blah

At this point Vick's $3.5M is commensurate with what a team would pay a decent back up.
Sure, there's another $3M in incentives.
But, if he meet those wasn't he worth it, champs?

Yeah. It's not a bad deal for the Eagles. They can still cut him and only owe about what they did before the restructuring, and this contract makes him tradeable to some extent.
Spiel612

Most Valuable Poster (7th Ballot)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering Chip Kelly believes that all sacks are on the quarterback and he wants a quarterback who gets the ball out quickly it doesn't really make sense to consider Vick as "the guy" for Kelly's offense. Whether he uses what he used at Oregon or not, it's pretty clear that those things are still going to be very important.
Withmy89vision

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vick is terrible now. Instead of being stupid half the time and spectacular the other, he is stupid half the time and injured the other half.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

titwio wrote:
NOOOOOOOOOO. I want Vick out of Philly. Why can't they just go with Foles or Dixon.... Sad

Bc its Dixon and Foles Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spiel612 wrote:
Considering Chip Kelly believes that all sacks are on the quarterback and he wants a quarterback who gets the ball out quickly it doesn't really make sense to consider Vick as "the guy" for Kelly's offense. Whether he uses what he used at Oregon or not, it's pretty clear that those things are still going to be very important.

Considering Vick was in an offense where he had to pass the ball 40+ times a game and had to take 5-7 step drops and was put in an offense designed for a Joe Montana type QB when it comes to processing information at the LOS, that had a lot to do with the sacks without even mentioning a bottom 3 offensive line in the league

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: