Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2013 College prospects thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50 ... 81, 82, 83  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donut

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncosfan07 wrote:
Being 6'7" at RG wouldn't hurt Franklin, he plays with fairly good leverage already and it's not like we have a short QB behind him with PFM being 6'5" and Brock is at least 6'6". The reasoning behind the proposed move is Franklin wouldn't have to deal with speed rushers and it would improve our interior rushing attack.

Franklin is 6-6 and 3/8s and Os was 6-6 7/8s
BroncoinGermany wrote:

Are his injury troubles behind him or do I mistake Jones for somebody else? Him and Fluker have been injured, haven't they?

He has a lisfranc injury which is really painful foot injury and he played through it for half the season and it showed not being able to move as well. This will probably scare some teams and he could fall further than he should. He probably is going to end up being crazy like Mankins and playing w/ whatever injuries he has. He's a tough smart player.
2011: Matt Slater
2012: Ras I Dowling
2013: Chandler Jones
elliot878

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

twitter wrote:
@AlbertBreer: Same ... RT @LanceZierlein: I haven't run into single evaluator or coach who has Alabama's Barrett Jones within first 2 rounds.

Aaaand i spoke too soon lol

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who do you guess is top rated draft candidate?

According to the nfl.com Combine list it is Chance Warmack, the OG.

Quote:
Warmack, Chance 95.9
Joeckel, Luke 95.3
Milliner, Dee 93.2
Mingo, Barkevious 92.8
Lotulelei, Star 92.0
Fisher, Eric 91.3
Smith, Geno 91.0
Werner, Bjoern 90.9

http://www.nfl.com/combine/participants
broncos67

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elliot878 wrote:
twitter wrote:
@AlbertBreer: Same ... RT @LanceZierlein: I haven't run into single evaluator or coach who has Alabama's Barrett Jones within first 2 rounds.

cause he's overrated and an injury risk.

Thanks, Tzimisce
germ-x

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncos67 wrote:
elliot878 wrote:
twitter wrote:

I agree he is overrated. He doesn't do anything that stands out. He has solid size along the interior, but his skill set is above average at best. I think he'll be a starter, but he isn't explosive, quick, nor powerful. Jones is just a blah type guy. He is smart and fundamentally sound. If it weren't for the fact that he played for Alabama as a fan favorite most wouldn't even know about him.
Donut

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

germ-x wrote:
broncos67 wrote:
elliot878 wrote:
twitter wrote:

I agree he is overrated. He doesn't do anything that stands out. He has solid size along the interior, but his skill set is above average at best. I think he'll be a starter, but he isn't explosive, quick, nor powerful. Jones is just a blah type guy. He is smart and fundamentally sound. If it weren't for the fact that he played for Alabama as a fan favorite most wouldn't even know about him.

I thought he moved pretty well before the foot injury. He needs to get stronger if he's going to be an OG and wouldnt hurt to get bigger. He's pretty solid OLman in every aspect of the game and has a high football IQ, tough and a great technician. His frame is mostly top heavy so he can definitely put on weight. I still think he's going to end up being drafted lower than he should though.
And most OLman aren't known by casual fans. He's not a product of Bama hype. Media pays more attention to him since he's still one of the best Cs in the country and played in multiple spots winning awards. Bama helps recognition but he's still a damn good college OLman.

And Warmack is best player at combine. He's just a great prospect at a less important position to go #1.
2011: Matt Slater
2012: Ras I Dowling
2013: Chandler Jones
elwayfan07

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncos67 wrote:
elliot878 wrote:
twitter wrote:

And he's going to end up going to Pats/Steelers/ Ravens or one of those teams and be a corps lineman for the next decade +

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donut wrote:
germ-x wrote:
broncos67 wrote:
elliot878 wrote:
twitter wrote:

I thought he moved pretty well before the foot injury. He needs to get stronger if he's going to be an OG and wouldnt hurt to get bigger. He's pretty solid OLman in every aspect of the game and has a high football IQ, tough and a great technician. His frame is mostly top heavy so he can definitely put on weight. I still think he's going to end up being drafted lower than he should though.
And most OLman aren't known by casual fans. He's not a product of Bama hype. Media pays more attention to him since he's still one of the best Cs in the country and played in multiple spots winning awards. Bama helps recognition but he's still a damn good college OLman.

And Warmack is best player at combine. He's just a great prospect at a less important position to go #1.

Jones got a lot of hype around their National Championship against LSU. I remember a couple interviews they had with him about his versatility, toughness, and the likes. He got recognition that most OL's don't get and it started quite a bit of fanfare. Barrett Jones is a guy you root for and is someone any coach would welcome on their team.

I'm not trying to hate on Jones. I wouldn't have a problem with him in the late 2nd/3rd round, but physically he is nothing special. He isn't exceptionally powerful, quick, agile, or any of that. He does the little things right. Honestly, i see him as a Zane Beadles-esque player...a capable starter, but by no means a world beater.
BroncoinGermany

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cue Montee Ball:

I know guys have been mentioning him here and there, but as broncos67 dug out some inside information in the 'who do you feel' thread, and I read a few scouting reports on Ball, I have gotten the impression that he really is like a younger McGahee and with that excellent for our system. Vision, patience, feel for lanes and holes, shiftier than expected on first sight, can catch, can block... Willis 2.0. Uncanny.

What is the take on his only glaring negative- the huge workload during his Badger days?

Chasing Lombardi and Stanley!
by Joe_is_the_best
broncos67

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroncoinGermany wrote:
Cue Montee Ball:

I know guys have been mentioning him here and there, but as broncos67 dug out some inside information in the 'who do you feel' thread, and I read a few scouting reports on Ball, I have gotten the impression that he really is like a younger McGahee and with that excellent for our system. Vision, patience, feel for lanes and holes, shiftier than expected on first sight, can catch, can block... Willis 2.0. Uncanny.

What is the take on his only glaring negative- the huge workload during his Badger days?

I would liken Ball to a former Badger, that being Ron Dayne. However, Ball is better than Dayne ever was. Ball had the fortune of running behind what basically amounted to an NFL caliber OL, at least in terms of size and strength relative to competition.

That being said, Ball has a LOT of tread on his tires and his other glaring negative is his lack of breakaway speed. Ball does, however, possess an uncanny nose for the endzone and can move the chains. I think he's the type of back Denver is looking for to complement Hillman/potentially McGahee going forward.

Thanks, Tzimisce
broncosfan07

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wisconsin backs for whatever reason don't do very well in the NFL.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncosfan07 wrote:
Wisconsin backs for whatever reason don't do very well in the NFL.

I've always thought part of the reason for that is because of the tremendous benefit they get from their OL. In most games, Wisconsin's OL outweighs the opposing DL by quite a bit (on average), I don't have stats for that, but I'm fairly confident it's the case. Because of that, so many backs get the benefit of running through massive holes. They also get a lot of tread on their tires.

Ball can't be a feature back, but in a timeshare, he could be good.

Thanks, Tzimisce
JerseysFinest27

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

elliot878 wrote:
twitter wrote:

Not surprised.

Hes one of those prospects that likely has reached its athletic peak in college. Theres just not a whole lot of potential left in him. So if you were a team to draft him, youre looking at getting someone that wont be a pro-bowler but could get a consistent effort and play out of him. I think he sticks on a team as a Center

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncos67 wrote:
BroncoinGermany wrote:
Cue Montee Ball:

I would liken Ball to a former Badger, that being Ron Dayne. However, Ball is better than Dayne ever was. Ball had the fortune of running behind what basically amounted to an NFL caliber OL, at least in terms of size and strength relative to competition.

That being said, Ball has a LOT of tread on his tires and his other glaring negative is his lack of breakaway speed. Ball does, however, possess an uncanny nose for the endzone and can move the chains. I think he's the type of back Denver is looking for to complement Hillman/potentially McGahee going forward.

924 rushing attempts over four years Shocked The last two season 356 and 307 carries. He'll turn 23 during next season. Based on these two factors, one can assume that Ball only has what... 4-5 productive years left.

Rudi Johnson had three strenuous seasons ('04, '05, '06), averaging 346 carries over that strech before hitting the wall with 27. Clinton Portis had six highly productive seasons ('02, '03, '04, '05, '07, '08 ) with an average of 320 carries before he fell off at age 27. Willie Parker's major output came in '05, '06, '07 where he had on average 304 carries. He dropped off with 28 never to recover.

Although Ball would not nearly be the bell cow they were/he was at Wisconsin, we'd basically draft Montee Ball to play out his rookie contract and then... implosion.

After looking at his stats, I don't know whether that would be such a smart investment.

Stepfan Taylor is smiliar in skill, better in pass protection. He seems like the wiser choice.

Chasing Lombardi and Stanley!
by Joe_is_the_best
JerseysFinest27

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroncoinGermany wrote:
broncos67 wrote:
BroncoinGermany wrote:
Cue Montee Ball:

924 rushing attempts over four years Shocked The last two season 356 and 307 carries. He'll turn 23 during next season. Based on these two factors, one can assume that Ball only has what... 4-5 productive years left.

Rudi Johnson had three strenuous seasons ('04, '05, '06), averaging 346 carries over that strech before hitting the wall with 27. Clinton Portis had six highly productive seasons ('02, '03, '04, '05, '07, '08 ) with an average of 320 carries before he fell off at age 27. Willie Parker's major output came in '05, '06, '07 where he had on average 304 carries. He dropped off with 28 never to recover.

Although Ball would not nearly be the bell cow they were/he was at Wisconsin, we'd basically draft Montee Ball to play out his rookie contract and then... implosion.

After looking at his stats, I don't know whether that would be such a smart investment.

Stepfan Taylor is smiliar in skill, better in pass protection. He seems like the wiser choice.

Excellent post BG. Im 100% on board with Taylor over Ball.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50 ... 81, 82, 83  Next
Page 49 of 83

Jump to: