Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Tattoos....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kenney

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have three with another two coming down the pipe here soon.

The three I have:
1. Inside Left Biceps - the silhouettes of two flying ravens. Odin had two ravens named Huginn and Muninn, whose names meant "thought," and "memory," or "mind," respectively. The ravens would fly around the world and survey everything, then report back to Odin everything they'd seen. The tattoo works on two levels of meaning for me: first, in the immediate symbolic sense, as a symbol of freedom and of a certain beauty and elegance found in darkness; second, in the more abstract mythological meaning, the names of the ravens and their meanings in English are a symbol of looking both forward (thought) and backward (memory) and utilizing the two perspectives to inform a view on the present. This is particularly poignant and hopeful when dealing with my bouts of deep and dangerous depression.

2. Inside Right Biceps - a fairly intricate compass rose. I refer to the tattoo as 'wanderlust.' It is symbolic of my restlessness to travel, to get out and see the world, and to look outside of myself when feeling trapped by my mental illness. As an added level of affection that had no bearing on getting the tattoo, I love maps and cartography.

3. Outside Right Biceps - a Vegvísir. The word is Icelandic, and roughly translates to "roadmap." It is placed on the exact opposite side of my right arm from my compass rose. Viking warriors would have this symbol tattooed to them or painted onto their helmets to guarantee safe passage when making voyages overseas. It works on that level, as a symbol embodying an existential cry for safe passage when navigating the uncertainties of full-fledged adulthood, but also in the aforementioned direct parallel to the compass rose; whereas one expresses my desire to travel, to expand, and to grow, the Vegvísir balances that desire with an earnest sense of wanting to do so with a modicum of sense and wisdom; i.e.; to do so safely.

The two that are on deck that I will be getting in the next few months:

1. Left Shoulder - tree tattoo. This was the first tattoo I ever wanted, but could never find one exactly how I wanted it to look. Also, because of the intricacy and the fact that it will be my first color tattoo, it's going to be significantly more expensive. I've always loved trees; I found them mystical and comforting as a child. Now I love them for the promise they embody -- of life and a future and vitality and hope and simplicity... things that I feel are not guaranteed, that we should be grateful for in the fleeting moments that we are given them.

2. Left Rib Cage - a haiku that reads, "But for their voices the white herons would be lost in the morning snow." I've always been hesitant to get a script tattoo... but this is the most beautiful poem I've ever read. So beautiful that I can ignore the fact that it's a haiku. I studied English and Literature in college; the words literally have no specific significance to me... I just like them for their beauty, delicacy, elegance, stillness, and breathtaking imagery.
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harper41 wrote:
What do you guys think of white guys who get Polynesian tribal tattoos? My friends always talk ish about it when they see guys with em, but they're so BA that I'm considering getting one anyway

To me, unless it means something to you other than "This means I look cool", then I wouldn't do it. Now, if you had a Polynesian friend who passed, or you lived overseas in the military over there etc, and it has a meaning behind it, then by all means.

But personally, my stance is that if you have to wonder what other people will think about it, it obviously doesn't mean enough to you to have it on your body forever.

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

If a police officer offered me a warning, no, I would not take it.
Rumless

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yankee0724 wrote:
Rumless wrote:
Considering getting "Maktub" tatted on my inner bicep. I don't want to explain it if someone sees it, that's my main hesitation.

I've considered getting a Chiefs logo as a tramp stamp.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maktub

You must be a big fan.

Not quite. Laughing

In fact, I'm not sure he's better than our very own London Fletcher.[/quote]
SoCalNiner

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really want a pin up girl.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really want a chest piece that goes into a half sleeve but I have no idea what to get. I really only get tattoos that mean something to me, I was thinking of getting my family crest on my chest and then having it somehow turn into a half sleeve somehow but I'm definitely not artistic, so its hard for me to design myself a tattoo Laughing

RTR
GFalcon wrote:
go saints
ravens_rool28

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harper41 wrote:
I really want a chest piece that goes into a half sleeve but I have no idea what to get. I really only get tattoos that mean something to me, I was thinking of getting my family crest on my chest and then having it somehow turn into a half sleeve somehow but I'm definitely not artistic, so its hard for me to design myself a tattoo Laughing
I'm not into tats at all, but couldn't you take it to different artists, get their input, then decide on the one you like the most?

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
Muy Oheribble

Harper41

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ravens_rool28 wrote:
Harper41 wrote:
I'm not into tats at all, but couldn't you take it to different artists, get their input, then decide on the one you like the most?

For whatever reason, every tattoo artist I've come across has been a huge Richard. It might be a NH thing but none of them will free lance anything, I could've just come across some crappy guys though.

RTR
GFalcon wrote:
go saints
mistakebytehlak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harper41 wrote:
ravens_rool28 wrote:
Harper41 wrote:

For whatever reason, every tattoo artist I've come across has been a huge Richard. It might be a NH thing but none of them will free lance anything, I could've just come across some crappy guys though.

no, they dont want to design tattoos for people who dont even know what they want themselves

what happens if:
he gives you a sick tattoo
you then dislike it
you badmouth him
and his sick tattoo gets badmouthed for, well, ever
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mistakebytehlak wrote:
Harper41 wrote:
ravens_rool28 wrote:
Harper41 wrote:

no, they dont want to design tattoos for people who dont even know what they want themselves

what happens if:
you then dislike it
you badmouth him

Not so much the "sick" tattoo being badmouthed part, but I can understand the lack of desire to try and design something for someone who doesn't know what they want. Like, how can they tell what you may like/don't like without any input? If you took them a few designs you thought were cool and told them some kind of concept you wanted (ie your family crest or symbols involved) I'm sure they could draw something up. But to just take the time to draw something up out of nowhere and then the customer say "Nah, no thanks" is a waste of time to them.

Personally, I'm not even going to a shop until I have essentially what I want. I'm going to need their creativity to turn what I want into something artistic and aesthetically pleasing, but in terms of "what" I want, I'm making sure to figure it out beforehand.

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

If a police officer offered me a warning, no, I would not take it.
broncos67

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking of getting the phrase "laissez les bon temps rouler" (Let the good times roll) on my arm/chest in cursive. I feel like that would be pretty sweet.

Thanks, Tzimisce
jetsfan4life51

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want a half sleeve badly. But I have nothing of meaning or significance to put so I will never get one. Confused

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetsfan4life51 wrote:
I want a half sleeve badly. But I have nothing of meaning or significance to put so I will never get one. Confused

If I was at that point where I wanted one bad, I'd just get one I thought looked cool.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mistakebytehlak wrote:
Harper41 wrote:
ravens_rool28 wrote:
Harper41 wrote:

what happens if:
you then dislike it
you badmouth him

I mean, I've told guys a rough idea of what I've wanted. Family crest that turns into a half sleeve, I just don't know what I'd want the half sleeve to look like, but as long as it looks cool I don't care. I feel like as a tattoo ARTIST, you should be able to sketch up something cool for me. None of the guys I've asked are willing to sketch something for me...

RTR
GFalcon wrote:
go saints
mistakebytehlak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harper41 wrote:
mistakebytehlak wrote:
Harper41 wrote:
ravens_rool28 wrote:
Harper41 wrote:

what happens if:
you then dislike it
you badmouth him

I mean, I've told guys a rough idea of what I've wanted. Family crest that turns into a half sleeve, I just don't know what I'd want the half sleeve to look like, but as long as it looks cool I don't care. I feel like as a tattoo ARTIST, you should be able to sketch up something cool for me. None of the guys I've asked are willing to sketch something for me...

dude a half sleeve is a 2-5 grand tattoo, with about 10-30 hours or so in it... an ARTIST is not gonna just come up with what he wants without any direction from the customer for a piece that big

its like oh hey, i've given you about 5% of the idea and direction, you go do the other 95%, and if i dont like it im not going to pay you and/or if i get it and dont like it, im prob gonna badmouth your shop

if we're being honest, you're being pretty unreasonable.
Title Town USA

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver&Black88 wrote:
jetsfan4life51 wrote:

If I was at that point where I wanted one bad, I'd just get one I thought looked cool.
People think your tats have to have meaning. I don't think that's true. I mean, if they do, then that's great. But tattoo's are an art. Just like a painting...people buy them because of how they look, not because they have meaning. If you love how something looks, then go for it. Your skin is the canvas.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 12 of 14

Jump to: