Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Late Round Gems
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chitownstar

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
chitownstar wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
Somebody should be convicted for being able to draft Marcus Lattimore after the 3rd round. Injury or not.

If the Bears needed a RB this year I'd take a healthy Andre Ellington or Jonathan Franklin before I took a risk drafting Lattimore. But it's hard to deny the value of taking him in the 4th
Its an injury risk, no doubt, but you are getting the best RB entering the NFL since Adrian Peterson.

I don't think he's the best running back to come out since AP at all.
Darren McFadden, C.J. Spiller, and Trent Richardson were all better pro prospects coming out than Lattimore, even before the injuries.
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chitownstar wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
chitownstar wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
Somebody should be convicted for being able to draft Marcus Lattimore after the 3rd round. Injury or not.

If the Bears needed a RB this year I'd take a healthy Andre Ellington or Jonathan Franklin before I took a risk drafting Lattimore. But it's hard to deny the value of taking him in the 4th
Its an injury risk, no doubt, but you are getting the best RB entering the NFL since Adrian Peterson.

Darren McFadden, C.J. Spiller, and Trent Richardson were all better pro prospects coming out than Lattimore, even before the injuries.
Those guys aren't even close to the player Lattimore was. Lattimore came in as a true freshman and was the best RB in the NCAA, injured, comes back and is again the best RB in the NCAA. Now here he is fighting again to return from injury.

OneBadCat wrote:
Ahah Okay first of all Gamble was lost to IR this year but when healthy he proved to be 2nd only to Revis last season.
DaMike

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
chitownstar wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
chitownstar wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:

Those guys aren't even close to the player Lattimore was. Lattimore came in as a true freshman and was the best RB in the NCAA, injured, comes back and is again the best RB in the NCAA. Now here he is fighting again to return from injury.
Trent Richardson is every bit the player Lattimore would be if healthy. Richardson is probably the only RB I would put ahead of Lattimore though since AP. McFadden is close though. Lattimore is a monster and a good team that needs another back will get a steal if he stays healthy.
Sugashane

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pigsooie5 wrote:
Sugashane wrote:
I was wondering who you guys thought were late round gems. Guys that may not start initially, but can develop into leaders or major playmakers on the team that drafts them.

Expected to be drafted in rounds 5-7 only though, just for clarification.

My pick for a diamond in the rough this year is Jordan Campbell, a linebacker who was a former USC Trojan and Louisville Cardinal, but has played in D-II for New Mexico Highlands University the last year.

I think he is a workout warrior who now values football much more than he did, since he missed out at USC and Louisville, and has supposedly walking the straight and narrow since he went to D-II. He'll never be an athletic freak, but I think he'll show good enough instincts and aggression to make an impact in the oncoming years.

Interesting... People don't usually go to Highlands to start on the "straight and narrow". Las Vegas, New Mexico is known as the heroin capital of the Country, but you never know, he could be one of the few.

Remember, I did say “supposedly.” Lol. New Mexico Highlands doesn’t get a lot of press, but he was a bright on a solid team.

IronMike84 wrote:
"Gems" are gems because nobody realizes it at the time. You can't say a pick is a "gem" until they prove their value.

Which is the point... Few late round picks start early, and if they do, they generally play poorly. The whole reason of the thread was to see who we thought would have a high value that came from the last few rounds.

And technically, someone did think they would be a gem, it is just the fact that it was not anticipated by many. Most people didn’t think much of Brady, but there were some that believed he would be a solid starter in the NFL at the minimum. Heck, Blair Walsh was drafted in the 7th last year and had a great season, and a ton of Georgia fans have said he would be a great kicker. , But they wouldn’t count as a “gems” due to “somebody” recognizing it at the time? Nonsense.
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:10 am    Post subject: Re: Late Round Gems Reply with quote

Sugashane wrote:
I was wondering who you guys thought were late round gems. Guys that may not start initially, but can develop into leaders or major playmakers on the team that drafts them.

My pick for a diamond in the rough this year is Jordan Campbell, a linebacker who was a former USC Trojan and Louisville Cardinal, but has played in D-II for New Mexico Highlands University the last year.

I think he is a workout warrior who now values football much more than he did, since he missed out at USC and Louisville, and has supposedly walking the straight and narrow since he went to D-II. He'll never be an athletic freak, but I think he'll show good enough instincts and aggression to make an impact in the oncoming years.

Tyrone Goard - WR - E. Kentucky,
Brandon Kaufman - WR - E. Washington,
Reid Fragel - OT - Ohio St.,
Rogers Gaines - OT - Tenn. St. ,
Chris Gragg - TE - Ark.
Nick Kasa - TE - Colo.
Dennard Robinson - KR/WR/RB - Mich.
Josh Boyd - DT - Miss, St.
Nick Williams - DT - Samford
Vince Williams - ILB - FSU.
DaMike

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: Late Round Gems Reply with quote

ChicagoAl wrote:
Sugashane wrote:

Chris Gragg - TE - Ark.
Nick Kasa - TE - Colo.
I dont think Gragg will be a late rounder. He's a definite top 100 pick for me. I really like him.
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:24 am    Post subject: Re: Late Round Gems Reply with quote

DaMike wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:
Sugashane wrote:

Chris Gragg - TE - Ark.
Nick Kasa - TE - Colo.
I dont think Gragg will be a late rounder. He's a definite top 100 pick for me. I really like him.
That is very possible but if he were to drop to the fourth I'd jump.
IronMike84

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sugashane wrote:
Heck, Blair Walsh was drafted in the 7th last year and had a great season, and a ton of Georgia fans have said he would be a great kicker. , But they wouldn’t count as a “gems” due to “somebody” recognizing it at the time? Nonsense.

No, I'm pretty sure he was just drafted in the 7th because he's a kicker. Laughing
Sugashane

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IronMike84 wrote:
Sugashane wrote:
Heck, Blair Walsh was drafted in the 7th last year and had a great season, and a ton of Georgia fans have said he would be a great kicker. , But they wouldn’t count as a “gems” due to “somebody” recognizing it at the time? Nonsense.

No, I'm pretty sure he was just drafted in the 7th because he's a kicker. Laughing

I think the biggest reason I had to point him out was because I'm still in shock about how Sebastian Janikowski was the 17th overall pick in the 2000 draft. Laughing
IronMike84

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sugashane wrote:
IronMike84 wrote:
Sugashane wrote:

I think the biggest reason I had to point him out was because I'm still in shock about how Sebastian Janikowski was the 17th overall pick in the 2000 draft. Laughing

Ah, the Al Davis senile years Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: