Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jets actively shopping CB Darrelle Revis; Bucs interested
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 22, 23, 24  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
superbowlbound

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingOfTheHill84 wrote:
superbowlbound wrote:
Guys, i think ppl are getting carried away with what we can possibly get for Revis

some people are saying SF's 1st+ KC 2nd.... NOT GOING TO HAPPEN PEOPLE

San Fran may...MAY, give up their 1st and a 3rd.... there's no way they are trading that 2nd they got from KC

Thats a pipe dream... a 1st and a 3rd is pushing it

Ill accept nothing less than either

Or

HAHA accept w/e you want, as far as i know you have ZERO say.... you may not be happy with anything less, but i suspect you'll accept it lol

At best Jets will get a 1st + 3rd... but he's an injured CB with only 1 year on his contract and requires a big resigning....

Here's the choice...
A) trade him for as much as you can get, or
B) Keep him and let him walk away in FA

there's no "option C" of resign him. So either get something for him, or keep him for 1 more year when the jets wont compete....

Honestly, i'll take whatever we can get for him cause the other option is to just let him walk
RollTide99

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the end of it all I think the Jets can net a 1st, 3rd, and a 2014Conditional pick (high as a 1 low as a 5)

JMG on the sig
rdelaney89

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See if he'll sign on for an extra year pay him a lot let him prove himself this season and then offer to trade him or extend him after this year. It will make Revis look like the bad guy for wanting to leave if he decides not to accept the offer.

He is going to have to prove himself this year regardless so why not sign on for the extra year for a lot of money.
superbowlbound

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rdelaney89 wrote:
See if he'll sign on for an extra year pay him a lot let him prove himself this season and then offer to trade him or extend him after this year. It will make Revis look like the bad guy for wanting to leave if he decides not to accept the offer.

He is going to have to prove himself this year regardless so why not sign on for the extra year for a lot of money.

Y would he? His rehab is ahead of scheduale. He isn't worried about not finding suitors for the 2014 season....

He has absoluetly no incentive to sign a 1 year extension when he could sign a monster contract next season.
rdelaney89

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

superbowlbound wrote:
rdelaney89 wrote:

Y would he? His rehab is ahead of scheduale. He isn't worried about not finding suitors for the 2014 season....

He has absoluetly no incentive to sign a 1 year extension when he could sign a monster contract next season.

Your absolutely right but I think the Jets should make this offer public to make them seem like the good guys, God knows we could use that.
superbowlbound

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rdelaney89 wrote:
superbowlbound wrote:
rdelaney89 wrote:

Your absolutely right but I think the Jets should make this offer public to make them seem like the good guys, God knows we could use that.

The court of public opinion has no vote or say in this.... everyone can hate the jets or revis but it wont change the outcome.

Also, its very very hard for the team to win these kinda public opinion wars.... Idzik would do better to ignore public perspective and only focus on those that matter... other teams

Also, The jets are fed up with Revis and I dont blame them... Revis has never put the team above himself. He's been in the league 5 years and has held out for 2 of them. Thats roughly 40%. Thats unacceptable to me, you negotiate a contract and you honor it.

As a new lawyer, I get offended when players hold out....if they wanted more they shouldve either a) negotiated for it or b) signed a deal of less years

But i have no pity for a player who consistantly decides the contract he negotiated is unfair
sandwhich

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Revis has only held out once, I thought. Where's the second coming from? Last offseason? He showed up to training camp. He just didn't shoot down holdout rumors.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sandwhich wrote:
Revis has only held out once, I thought. Where's the second coming from? Last offseason? He showed up to training camp. He just didn't shoot down holdout rumors.

I think you're forgetting his rookie year.
sandwhich

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

moham-17 wrote:
sandwhich wrote:

Yeah, I don't think I knew he held out for his rookie year. Was it substantial time? Didn't a lot of rookies hold out before the new wage scale? Does that really even count?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sandwhich wrote:
moham-17 wrote:
sandwhich wrote:

Yeah, I don't think I knew he held out for his rookie year. Was it substantial time? Didn't a lot of rookies hold out before the new wage scale? Does that really even count?

He was drafted at 16 and held out for top 10 money. Jets gave it to him to get him into training camp... he turned around 2 years later and held out again
JetsFan15

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

superbowlbound wrote:
sandwhich wrote:
moham-17 wrote:
sandwhich wrote:

He was drafted at 16 and held out for top 10 money. Jets gave it to him to get him into training camp... he turned around 2 years later and held out again

I don't agree with players holding out and not honoring their contract either. But in fairness, while we technically call it a "holdout", Revis did not have a contract his rookie year so he was not failing to honor something he was trying to get the best deal possible. Your point is taken though, he and his agent(s) are very difficult to deal with.

I disagree though that our only options are trade now or let walk. While it seems remote now, I still believe he could be signed long term. Call me crazy but time and money solve all in this league.

And I disagree that he is not a team player. Yes, he held out, but part of me does not blame these guys for doing so at certain points since contracts are not guaranteed in the NFL and their shelf life is very short as players. But he is a locker room leader and showed leadership this year in pushing Cro and Wilson while he was injured.
superbowlbound

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JetsFan15 wrote:
superbowlbound wrote:
sandwhich wrote:
moham-17 wrote:
sandwhich wrote:

I don't agree with players holding out and not honoring their contract either. But in fairness, while we technically call it a "holdout", Revis did not have a contract his rookie year so he was not failing to honor something he was trying to get the best deal possible. Your point is taken though, he and his agent(s) are very difficult to deal with.

I disagree though that our only options are trade now or let walk. While it seems remote now, I still believe he could be signed long term. Call me crazy but time and money solve all in this league.

And I disagree that he is not a team player. Yes, he held out, but part of me does not blame these guys for doing so at certain points since contracts are not guaranteed in the NFL and their shelf life is very short as players. But he is a locker room leader and showed leadership this year in pushing Cro and Wilson while he was injured.

There's no such thing as "long term" with Derelle Revis... he'll come back in 2 years and want more money

There's been no evidence to suggest he wont just hold out again in another 2 years.
JetsFan15

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

superbowlbound wrote:
JetsFan15 wrote:
superbowlbound wrote:
sandwhich wrote:
moham-17 wrote:
sandwhich wrote:

There's no such thing as "long term" with Derelle Revis... he'll come back in 2 years and want more money

There's been no evidence to suggest he wont just hold out again in another 2 years.

That is just speculation on your part. He held out after he arguably had the best season of any CB in NFL history. Again, I get your point but it is as much speculation as if I or someone said he won't hold out again.

Let's not forget, this is now a passing league. There are two ways to defend the pass IMO

1) Take away option through great coverage (Revis does that)
2) Get to the QB so he does not have time to throw (we don"t do that as a team very well)

THIS ALL REMINDS ME OF THE JOHN ABRAHAM SAGA (SORRY FOR CAPS AS MY KEYBOARD JUST GOT STUCK WITH THEM ON AND I CANNOT TURN OFF)
jetsmarine26

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF the Niners trade for Revis, and that's a big IF, I see no reason why he wouldn't command at least the Niners 1st and Chiefs 2nd. People seem to be looking at that 1st rounder like its the 5th overall pick in value or something, when in reality, it's basically the Jets getting 2 high seconds for him which is a rather low asking price for a player of his caliber, even with his ACL injury.

Another thing is that I feel like people don't realize that Revis honestly has 0 leverage in this whole situation. He knows it, the Jets know it, and his agents know it. He won't command 16 mil annually even on the open market after this season, whether he returns to form or not. The Jets won't pay him that, and he'll either choose to stay at a reduced rate or still accept less than he wants from another team if he follows the money (highly likely). The Jets will have no issue eating the dead money in his salary after Holmes and Sanchez come off the books next year if he leaves the team. This whole "I've been disrespected" thing is a desperate attempt to swing fans into his corner for some leverage, but as we can see, even fans are fed up with how he is contractually and most would encourage him being shopped. I almost feel bad for him, but he made this bed and can sleep in it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This whole saga just continues to make my stomach twist and turn, I just want this to come to an end. If you trae him to SF you don't have to play him until 2016 (unless we both reach the SB) and they have the most to give up. According to Manish (whom I never sincerely trust as a source), Atlanta is interested in dealing for him ASAP.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 8 of 24

Jump to: