Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Losing Cruz to a 1st Round Tender Question
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HakeemTheDream

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYGiantsman10 wrote:
Yuck. I don't want to see Cruz leave but it's looking like that's what's gonna happen Confused

If I'm Cincinnati, with all their cap space, I'm signing Cruz and handing the Giants the pick. Imagine AJ Green going deep with Cruz working the intermediate stuff? Scary. And they have a ton of cap space too.

Again I'd hate to lose Cruz but I don't want to see the Giants get nothing back

People just assume the Bengals have nobody opposite AJ Green, but they have one of the most deep and promising WR corps in the league. Not only is AJ Green a bonafide #1 WR, they have Mohammad Sanu who was really coming on before he broke his foot. They also have Andrew Hawkins who is a very good and quick slot receiver. For depth and a deep field threat, they drafted Marvin Jones last year and he has tons of potential, too.

As for Cruz, I highly doubt anyone gives up their first round pick for him, especially considering there is a strong possibility they can get him for free next offseason. Just wouldn't make economical sense to lose a first rounder and give him a huge contract.
Biggsam49

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in response to the OP, no, i do not want that.

And if we did, our first should still be spent on defense. Under the assumption Kenny is leaving, I believe the defense has 1 "great" / top 10 position player.
titwio

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biggsam49 wrote:
in response to the OP, no, i do not want that.

And if we did, our first should still be spent on defense. Under the assumption Kenny is leaving, I believe the defense has 1 "great" / top 10 position player.

The Giants will have two 1st round picks though if someone agrees on the tender. They can still grab a defender at 19 and burn the second on Austin if Cruz were to leave and be able to fill that hole.

Anyway....it's just a thought. Really don't think Cruz is going anywhere but it is very much a possibility.

@HakeemTheDream: I can see Cruz getting picked up by someone like 49ers (with Moss gone and Mario likely not being ready due to his gruesome injury). They have a lot of picks, room to maneuver and are in win now mode. There's a few other teams I can see being interested as well.
bballbkd1001

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im haunted of memories of sinorice moss Sad

Plus we have JJ.

^^^ Huge props Rase on the Sig!
dkebones

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have watched just about every WVU game this season and Austin is going to be Percy Harvin-type special player, without the medical melodrama. is that enough to push him over the defensive needs this team faces? not sure. but if they stick with BPA for both #1 picks it would be hard to argue that Austin would not be BPA.

as for Cruz, if he leaves, so be it. it's been mentioned elsewhere in relation to what his agent should/ought to be advising him, but he needs to look at the total "package" of not just a paycheck from the Mara's, but advertisement/endorsement deals from the New York-metro area. it even goes one step further because playing for a NY team provides enough spotlight on a national level- I live in Portland but regularly see Eli's watch commercial, Derek Jeter, Tom Brady (Boston, but still top-5 market). its pretty inadvisable for him to go somewhere else, but we've seen it before...

...somewhere (St. Louis??), Steve Smith is crying... Laughing
jerseyboy257

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

titwio wrote:
jerseyboy257 wrote:
If we put any average TE in our offense they all put up the same kind of numbers. Eifert is a special talent and is supposed to be like the next Gronk. If the Giants fall in love with the kid, and think he's a special talent, or just the best value pick available, then don't see a reason why they wouldn't take him. Same with Austin. Special explosive talent at slot. If we're going to make another Patriots comparison then is supposed to be a Wes Welker 2.0. Like I said, if Cruz and Bennett are staying on the roster then I pretty much want to go all defense. I can't tell you what the Giants draft board looks like.

The thing is with TE is there's not much separation between these guys. I mean Eiffert is probably my favorite but he's not leaps and bounds better than Ertz, Escobar, Kelce etc... If Bennett were to walk they still have "The JPP of TE's" and could draft one of the other guys later in the draft.

I just think that would be better overall value then using a 1st on one.

That's honestly what I thought at first, which is why I hated when people would mock a TE to the Giants, but then I'm starting to see a lot of, especially after the combine, that Eiffert is in a class of his own at TE and has stud offensive potential. Like legit Gronkowski potential. I really want to focus on defense on this draft, but i'm just saying if Marty B won't be back and the Giants fall in love with him, and I know hes a very bright and good kid, he could be the pick at 19. Also read the other day somewhere by a recent scout who reported that Eifert should be drafted in the teens, but once again, I can't tell you what the Giants draftboard looks like
NYGiantsman10

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dkebones wrote:
I have watched just about every WVU game this season and Austin is going to be Percy Harvin-type special player, without the medical melodrama. is that enough to push him over the defensive needs this team faces? not sure. but if they stick with BPA for both #1 picks it would be hard to argue that Austin would not be BPA.

as for Cruz, if he leaves, so be it. it's been mentioned elsewhere in relation to what his agent should/ought to be advising him, but he needs to look at the total "package" of not just a paycheck from the Mara's, but advertisement/endorsement deals from the New York-metro area. it even goes one step further because playing for a NY team provides enough spotlight on a national level- I live in Portland but regularly see Eli's watch commercial, Derek Jeter, Tom Brady (Boston, but still top-5 market). its pretty inadvisable for him to go somewhere else, but we've seen it before...

...somewhere (St. Louis??), Steve Smith is crying... Laughing

Good points. The only guy that has walked off this team and hurt us elsewhere is Barry Cofield. We're just gonna have to ride this out and hope they can meet somewhere in the middle.

Cmon Eli take a pay cut for Hakeem and Cruz! Mad
Vulcan_Prime

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we as a fan base have to prepare for the eventuality that Cruz won't be resigned. As much as it pains me to say but Cruz is talking about his "brand" and how he deserves to be paid as one of the highest wide receivers. Don't get me wrong Cruz deserves every penny, it's just that he can get so much more in endorsement deals in NYC. It's just that his agent doesn't give a crap because he makes more money if Cruz signs a larger contract, his agent doesn't get a dime if he signs for less but gets endorsement deals in NYC.

If we could sign Cruz and Nicks to a 7-8 mil a year deal I would be ecstatic but with the Dwayne Bowe deal that the Kanses city Chiefs stupidly did hes out of our price range now. I hope he gives us a fair discount.

If we could get a first rounder for Cruz, I'd take it bottom line, and spend it on defense first. Let's see if JJ or Hixon can man the slot and have Nicks and Randle as our #1 and 2.
gregdege

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just think a guy who went undrafted a few years ago, gains a first round value. Sounds pretty good to me!
titwio

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was watching Total Access yesterday and Ian Rapoport was saying there are multiple teams interested in Cruz when FA hits. I didn't pay it much mind but then I woke this morning and there were multiple articles about it.
http://www.bigblueview.com/2013/3/8/4080206/victor-cruz-2013-nfl-free-agency-rumors-new-york-giants-rfa

I mentioned the 49ers as a team earlier in the thread and they have them listed as #1. If the Giants don't get Cruz locked up before Tuesday it could get ugly...this thread idea may turn out to be a real case scenario for them.
Vulcan_Prime

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again I think the 49ers could do it as a 1 year deal, but they have a lot of contracts they have to think about themselves. For example, in 2 years they have to sign both kaepernick and crabtree to contracts or risk loosing them both, and both will command at least above average contracts.

Not only that but they have to sign Aldon Smith, and you can bet your [inappropriate/removed] hes gonna ask for a huge contract with the 19 sacks he had this past season. They also have to sign some of their Offensive lineman like Iupata and Davis who both were key members in their run game. And finally you have to sign Vernon davis to a new contract, who is arguably a top 5 tight end.

It's the same scenario with Revis, I don't think the 49ers can afford to bring in high profile free agents when they have to sign their own homegrown talent. In fact the Seahawks are going to have the same problem that the 49ers will have with their young secondary having to pay Sherman, Earl Thomas, and Kam chancellor to future contracts.

Very few premier teams can afford Victor cruz other than teams with large cap spaces, so it's going to be a wait and see approach IMO.
mattbags2313

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cant let him get away. nicks and cruz need each other to play off. thats why ballard, who was a no name, had so much success in the middle of the field. cruz and nicks change the way defenses approach an offense. They open the field for everyone's benefit.....even jamarcus russell
Gmen

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In order to steal Cruz, you would have to pay him a ridiculous sum of money so that the Giants can't match. Something on the order of 9 million per year. PLUS, you lose your first round pick.

Cruz is good. He's not 1st round pick + 9 million per year good. So consider me skeptical of these reports that teams will pursue Cruz.

"Has courage and poise. In my opinion, most of all, he has that quality you can't define. Call it magic."

- Ernie Accorsi scouting report of Eli

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: