Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ray Farmer hired as Asst. GM; Lombardi's title now GM
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ReggieCamp

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:02 pm    Post subject: Ray Farmer hired as Asst. GM; Lombardi's title now GM Reply with quote

Ray Farmer interviewed for the GM job, and the Browns decided to hire him as assistant GM. Lombardi's title was officially changed to GM.

Quote:
"The change in Mike's title was a reflection of the need to create the assistant general manager title in order to get permission from Kansas City for Ray to be free to interview with us,'' said Banner. "There's no change in Mike's position at all. It's purely an add of Ray.''

Banner said he didn't name Lombardi GM the day he was hired Jan. 18, because he didn't know for sure if he'd be hiring Farmer as well.

"At the time, we didn't know that this would happen, and I like the structure of Vice President of Player Personnel a little bit better,'' Banner said. "Frankly it gives him and the department something to aspire to, and I thought that was a good thing to have. But I thought it was outweighed by the opportunity to add another top-tier person to the department.''

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2013/03/cleveland_browns_hire_ray_farm.html

Not huge news, but it's never a bad thing to add another talented guy to the front office.

It will happen some day. Not sure when.
NewWorldOrder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Ray Farmer hired as Asst. GM; Lombardi's title now GM Reply with quote

[quote="ReggieCamp"]Ray Farmer interviewed for the GM job, and the Browns decided to hire him as assistant GM. Lombardi's title was officially changed to GM.

Quote:
Not huge news, but it's never a bad thing to add another talented guy to the front office.

Another talented guy? Who was the first?
Dropkick_pride

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the vice president of player personnel position now open is it time we bring in Savage?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dropkick_pride wrote:
With the vice president of player personnel position now open is it time we bring in Savage?

Great idea!!!!

seriously, he has a better track record than Lombardi.
ditchdigger

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Ray Farmer hired as Asst. GM; Lombardi's title now GM Reply with quote

NewWorldOrder wrote:
ReggieCamp wrote:
Ray Farmer interviewed for the GM job, and the Browns decided to hire him as assistant GM. Lombardi's title was officially changed to GM.

Quote:

On a related note, I seem to recall having a debate with about whether or not Lombardi was the de facto GM. Now he's the actual GM, and his duties are said to not have changed at all. Does that make me right?

I also find it very interesting and revealing that Chud reports directly to Banner. That is our CEO overstepping the tradional power structure for one of two possible reasons.

1. His ego won't allow Lombardi any more power.

or

2. He doesn't trust Lombardi with any more power.

If it's 2, he just went up a peg in my book.
Thomas5737

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Ray Farmer hired as Asst. GM; Lombardi's title now GM Reply with quote

ditchdigger wrote:
NewWorldOrder wrote:
ReggieCamp wrote:

Quote:

On a related note, I seem to recall having a debate with about whether or not Lombardi was the de facto GM. Now he's the actual GM, and his duties are said to not have changed at all. Does that make me right?

I also find it very interesting and revealing that Chud reports directly to Banner. That is our CEO overstepping the tradional power structure for one of two possible reasons.

or

If it's 2, then didn't he make a mistake in hiring a man he didn't have enough trust in to be GM and have the traditional role of a GM?

It reminded me of this, even though it doesn't make sense that it reminded me of this, it is always funny to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Vey7GKNpl4Q
ditchdigger

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see the relevance. I'll allow it.

Who puts a ski lift in a prison, though?
NickZambo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A promotion in under 3 months... daaaammmmmmmmmmnnnnnn

Lombardi is the cream of the crop. Superbowl.

Skipping over bruceb's posts since 2012
bosko1616

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would consider this one of the best coaching staffs and front offices we've put together since our return minus Lombardi if we would have kept heckart I'd be jumping for joy but right now I'm still sick to my stomach thinking about Lombardi as our gm

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Ray Farmer hired as Asst. GM; Lombardi's title now GM Reply with quote

ditchdigger wrote:
NewWorldOrder wrote:
ReggieCamp wrote:

Quote:

or

I think we just hired a guy as an assistant GM to help with draft picks since Lombardi was hired to mainly be a "pro" guy. That, along with Chud answering only to Banner/Haslam, means that you and several others were actually wrong about Lombardi's "power" over the team.

So, no, you weren't right. Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Ray Farmer hired as Asst. GM; Lombardi's title now GM Reply with quote

Entropy wrote:
ditchdigger wrote:
NewWorldOrder wrote:
ReggieCamp wrote:

Quote:

or

I think we just hired a guy as an assistant GM to help with draft picks since Lombardi was hired to mainly be a "pro" guy. That, along with Chud answering only to Banner/Haslam, means that you and several others were actually wrong about Lombardi's "power" over the team.

lombardi was hired to act as the gm, and now is the gm

pretty plain as day

someone just wont admit to being wrong
ditchdigger

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Farmer was brought over for his draft expertise?

From his KC bio:

Quote:
Ray Farmer begins his seventh season with the Chiefs as the clubís Director of Pro Personnel in 2012. He joined Kansas City after a four-year stint working as a pro scout with the Atlanta Falcons from 2002-05. Farmer oversees the scouting of all players with professional experience. In addition to evaluating current players in the NFL, he also scouts players in the Canadian Football League and all other pro leagues.

If that's the case, it's a bigger disaster than the Lombardi hire.
Entropy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:51 am    Post subject: Re: Ray Farmer hired as Asst. GM; Lombardi's title now GM Reply with quote

mistakebytehlak wrote:
Entropy wrote:
ditchdigger wrote:
NewWorldOrder wrote:
ReggieCamp wrote:

Quote:

or

lombardi was hired to act as the gm, and now is the gm

pretty plain as day

someone just wont admit to being wrong

Ditch's big worry was that Lombardi was running the draft. That's what he was wrong about. As plain as day.

Sounds like someone is misunderstanding what he's reading.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ditchdigger wrote:

From his KC bio:

Quote:
Ray Farmer begins his seventh season with the Chiefs as the clubís Director of Pro Personnel in 2012. He joined Kansas City after a four-year stint working as a pro scout with the Atlanta Falcons from 2002-05. Farmer oversees the scouting of all players with professional experience. In addition to evaluating current players in the NFL, he also scouts players in the Canadian Football League and all other pro leagues.

Really, why is that? Perhaps itís just another pessimistic opinion?

Oh, and you're the one that said "Farmer was brought over for his draft expertise"...I said "help with the draft"...he may help with free agency too...weird for an assistant GM to do those things huh?

Are we just going to ignore how Chud doesn't answer to Lombardi? Does that make your insistence that Lombardi is in charge of football operations less wrong?

The whole point I was making was that you were being overly negative, and you were (and still are). No matter what Lombardi's title is, he's not running the team. You were wrong.

It was obvious when they outlined the "consensus" structure when he wasn't given the GM title outright, even more so when an assistant GM was hired, and to top it off, Chud is at the same level. Which is really how it should be, right?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ditchdigger wrote:

From his KC bio:

Quote:

The response outside of Cleveland has been overwhelmingly positive though

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: