Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Feeding Frenzy: 31 other team signings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 26, 27, 28  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
MaddHatter wrote:
Jarvis Jones is 10-15lbs lighter than Anthony - not sure that'd be a good fit for SDE and Ware would already play the WDE/LEO/Elephant role - no?

I was suggesting he'd be an OLB, not a 4-3 DE. Jones could play the elephant, but he'd never hold up as a DE. And depending on whether that front uses a DE, 2 DTs and the elephant, or 3 DTs and the elephant, both Ware and Jones could've been pass rushers.

Of course, that won't happen now that Spencer has been tagged.

Ah ok - also you mentioned that he played as a "hands-in-the-dirt DE at Purdue" and inferred he hasn't since (hasn't done it consistently against NFL talent due to scheme) but he's done it far more often then he's rushed from a 2-pt stance since we have run the Nickel and Dime packages about 65% of our defensive snaps the last 4 years.

Sig courtesy of mack.
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Jeff Sullivan ‏@SullyBaldHead

Quote:
Honestly, at this point, am convinced the Cowboys could trade Lance Dunbar for Patrick Willis and NaVorro Bowman and someone would [inappropriate/removed].

Blogging The Boys ‏@BloggingTheBoys

Quote:
I know Dallas has failed making the playoffs for 3 years. That doesn't make them complete morons with no clue how to do anything.

Quote:
It amazes me how so many that complain about any and everything have such one track minds. IT HAS TO BE THIS! NO ALTERNATIVES!
[/b]

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
textaz03

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/05/shawne-merriman-turns-the-lights-out-on-his-nfl-career/

Shawne Merriman is calling it quits. He has filed his retirement papers. THANK GOD WE DIS NOT DRAFT THAT GUY! Thank you Jerry for Demarcus Ware!!

"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyways" - John Wayne
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

textaz03 wrote:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/05/shawne-merriman-turns-the-lights-out-on-his-nfl-career/

Shawne Merriman is calling it quits. He has filed his retirement papers. THANK GOD WE DIS NOT DRAFT THAT GUY! Thank you Jerry for Demarcus Ware!!

Which was funny, since so many decried over the glory of Merriman and his sack dance and the suckage of ware.

Speaks again to borrowing trouble.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
Desperado82

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember being ticked off we passed on Merriman for Ware.... Laughing

^^^mack
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That really was such an interesting draft class. We knew we were switching to the 3-4 so OLBs and DEs were the rage. I really liked Merriman and David Pollack (if we were to take an OLB with our #20 pick). DeMarcus Ware was pretty much an unknown until the combine. Then, Ware just continued to climb up draft boards and it was widely speculated that we'd either take Ware or Merriman and San Diego would take the other. Honestly, most of the forum (like 99%) wanted Merriman because he was a better known player and considered a safer pick. The only guy who I can really remember being in DeMarcus Ware's corner was Cowboys31 IIRC (he doesnt post too much anymore but he had a Larry Allen avatar).

Merriman was easily one of the most dominant defenders in the NFL his first 3 years. He was other worldly at times... like as dominant as any player I've ever seen at times. Pollack suffered a neck injury and retired, but also had a promising start his rookie year. So basically injuries ruined both of their careers. But for Merriman's injury... who knows how it turns out? There really wasn't a wrong or right answer between the 2 at the time.
BigD88

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merriman vs Ware was quite the comparison until Merriman had to stop roiding.

KingofSTATS wrote:

Witten is just too slow and nonathletic to be a dominant force in the receiving game.
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Slamman wrote:
That really was such an interesting draft class. We knew we were switching to the 3-4 so OLBs and DEs were the rage. I really liked Merriman and David Pollack (if we were to take an OLB with our #20 pick). DeMarcus Ware was pretty much an unknown until the combine. Then, Ware just continued to climb up draft boards and it was widely speculated that we'd either take Ware or Merriman and San Diego would take the other. Honestly, most of the forum (like 99%) wanted Merriman because he was a better known player and considered a safer pick. The only guy who I can really remember being in DeMarcus Ware's corner was Cowboys31 IIRC (he doesnt post too much anymore but he had a Larry Allen avatar).

Go back and look up those old posts. I was the first guy to state that I preferred Ware to Merriman and gave a specific reason why: his first step at the snap. It was the fastest that I'd ever seen.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
TVScout

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am one of those who wanted Merriman but to play in the 43. I wonder how things would have been different if he did his job out of a three point stance?

But.......I also wanted to pick Justin Tuck later. That would have worked out.
acowboys62

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
The_Slamman wrote:

Go back and look up those old posts. I was the first guy to state that I preferred Ware to Merriman and gave a specific reason why: his first step at the snap. It was the fastest that I'd ever seen.

Same here, and I rarely even come around to talk about draft picks and that stuff.

The Cowboys have only taken 2 guys I have wanted, in Ware and Jenkins. Oddly enough, the Eagles have taken like 3-4 of those guys I have wanted in drafts. Evil or Very Mad
PincheJimmy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
The_Slamman wrote:

You also stated that you would take Mike Williams ( the next coming of Michael Irvin ?? ) with the 11th pick, ( hell, you posted you wanted 2 WR's with your the frist 2 picks, Williams and Clayton). But yes, you clearly like Ware over Merriman, I dont know about you being the FIRST guy to say it though Smile
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PincheJimmy wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
The_Slamman wrote:

You also stated that you would take Mike Williams ( the next coming of Michael Irvin ?? ) with the 11th pick, ( hell, you posted you wanted 2 WR's with your the frist 2 picks, Williams and Clayton). But yes, you clearly like Ware over Merriman, I dont know about you being the FIRST guy to say it though Smile

I never wanted Clayton. I spoke out against him because he was a pygmie.

And given the fact that I at least have the guts to put my thoughts out there and have my own opinions rather than blindly follow along with what Jerry does, you have no room to mock. Plus, seeing that the only two people you mock me on are Leinart and Mike Williams in the 8 years I've been on this site, I'd say my track record is pretty damned good since no one challenges any of my other selections in that time. I'd bet my life on the fact that you'd take two misses in 8 years rather than the track record Jerry has.

Northland wrote:
Captain Zapp

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
PincheJimmy wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
The_Slamman wrote:

And given the fact that I at least have the guts to put my thoughts out there and have my own opinions rather than blindly follow along with what Jerry does, you have no room to mock. Plus, seeing that the only two people you mock me on are Leinart and Mike Williams in the 8 years I've been on this site, I'd say my track record is pretty damned good since no one challenges any of my other selections in that time. I'd bet my life on the fact that you'd take two misses in 8 years rather than the track record Jerry has.

You have seriously gone delusional brother
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Zapp wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
PincheJimmy wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
The_Slamman wrote:

You have seriously gone delusional brother

How so? I didn't want Clayton. People seem to think that a player I wanted 7 years ago who busted gives them carte blanche to challenge something I say every year yet they never challenge Jerry on his picks, no matter how brutally bad they are. Even sillier, I admit that it would've been a bad pick due to the information which came out after they both entered the league which no one had (or publicly stated) while they were in college. I also openly said that I would not have wanted either of them had I known that Mike Williams was more interested in food and Leinart was not committed to football as well as having said that I wanted DeMarcus Ware in that same draft if I had to choose between him and Merriman. And it's not like other players I liked didn't also fail. Plenty of them did. However, no one ever mentions them, and far fewer of the players I like(d) fail compared to the players we often select. So why challenge me? Why not challenge the fools in our organization who are making brutally bad picks compared to people like me, especially when they have access to far more information than I do?

Please go back and see how quickly I was attacked and insulted when I came out and said the '09 draft sucked immediately after it ended, yet you don't see me constantly attacking each and every remaining poster - by name - who is still on this site after admitting the draft was bad. Come to think of it, go back and look at my opinions on all of the drafts, the reactions of others, and then look at how their careers went.

That isn't being delusional. It's being intellectually honest.

Northland wrote:
htfryar

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While we are remembering the 2005 draft and who we all wanted, I went on record as stating that I wanted anyone but Marcus Spears at #11 and then Matt Jones at #20.

Homer Simpson wrote:
Beer, the cause of, and solution to all of life’s problems.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Page 9 of 28

Jump to: