Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

David Akers to be released by the 49ers
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bodhi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:47 am    Post subject: David Akers to be released by the 49ers Reply with quote

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/04/david-akers-expected-to-be-released-by-49ers/

Not at all a shock given his play, his age, and his contract. Do you think anyone signs this guy?

And it's funny how he went from setting all those records in 2011 to being maybe the worst kicker in the league in 2012. Reminds me of what Bill Barnwell wrote about kickers at the bottom of this article:
http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/19276/why-are-nfl-teams-afraid-of-the-dark
tom cody

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No surprise here really. Akers took A huge step back last year. Guess the 49ers use 1 of their extra draft picks on a kicker this year.
theJ

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tom cody wrote:
No surprise here really. Akers took A huge step back last year. Guess the 49ers use 1 of their extra draft picks on a kicker this year.

Not necessarily. There are always a half dozen kickers out there that were cast aside for whatever reason. They always reappear and do well it seems (best example that pops to mind - Josh Brown for the Bengals last year).

Speaking of that, the Bengals are going to have to cut one of Josh Brown/Mike Nugent. So there's someone right there they can sign.

Don't follow your passion, take your passion with you.
RainbowCarebear

Location: "Are you hungry, child?" Yes, she thought, but not for food.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weird they kept him on for so long.

Hammertime52 wrote:
I laughed way too hard at this Laughing they talked about the Dane like Robert Downey Jr talked about The Hulk in The Avengers

"We have the Dallas forum"
"We have a Dane"
Gridirongreat#9

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks D\A for the great season!!

DirtyJersey9er wrote:
I wish the friends of some girls I've talked to at bars/clubs were this bad at blocking.
ttitansfan4life

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's about time. Who will they go after? Draftee or FA?

Driver of the Brad Kaaya Hype Train
Adopt-A-Titan:
Bishop Sankey
DaQuan Jones
mm6492

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An awesome dude who does alot for the community where ever he goes. Maybe the end of his career, so congrats David. Wish he had won it all this year.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smith/Lee = 11m off the books? Who else could be gone to help create some cap room for Revis?? Manningham...?

The Rebuild Has Begun...
titwio

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Giants are letting Tynes test the market so I hope they don't think Akers is their solution. He just looked off to me last year and want no part of that....especially with how windy it can get kicking in the Meadowlands.

Great career but I think he should hang them up.

Last edited by titwio on Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:07 am; edited 1 time in total
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DirtyDez wrote:
Smith/Lee = 11m off the books? Who else could be gone to help create some cap room for Revis?? Manningham...?

If we get Revis, I think Rogers is a prime candidate as well. Not sure if the deal happens as it isn't only about opening up cap space for next season, but in 2014 when we have a bunch of FAs to extend.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a God

Deadpulse on the sig

CaliforniaKid7 wrote:
How does it end? Hopefully it's a guy snake cause girls don't poop.
BrettFavre4

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really unfortunate how bad Akers was last season after that great season in 2011-2012. Also unfortunate he's made it to two Super Bowls and has lost both of them and at this age and based on his performance, as well as getting released by one of the best teams in the League, it seems like a very long shot to ever get back there once more and win a ring. 38 is old for a football player no matter what position it is. I suppose it's not impossible to find a new home (Jason Hanson is 42) but Akers will have to be much better and make an impression with a new team in camp/preseason if he wants to keep playing.

Buffalo needs a new K bad but I'd be really hesitant to give Akers a shot in the windy, cold Buffalo weather at this point. I mean, he kicked in Philly for years but is coming from San Francisco and off of a terrible year. I'd rather the Bills release Lindell and draft a K late. Either that or somehow land Tynes in free agency.
ottawagiants10

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't want Larry Tynes. He missed so many short fg's this year and the end of last year. Plus I think his diminished leg strength his range is about 45 yards now.
SFaithful97

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrettFavre4 wrote:
Really unfortunate how bad Akers was last season after that great season in 2011-2012. Also unfortunate he's made it to two Super Bowls and has lost both of them and at this age and based on his performance, as well as getting released by one of the best teams in the League, it seems like a very long shot to ever get back there once more and win a ring. 38 is old for a football player no matter what position it is. I suppose it's not impossible to find a new home (Jason Hanson is 42) but Akers will have to be much better and make an impression with a new team in camp/preseason if he wants to keep playing.

Buffalo needs a new K bad but I'd be really hesitant to give Akers a shot in the windy, cold Buffalo weather at this point. I mean, he kicked in Philly for years but is coming from San Francisco and off of a terrible year. I'd rather the Bills release Lindell and draft a K late. Either that or somehow land Tynes in free agency.
I wouldn't worry about windy conditions, his problems had nothing to do with the elements. He got in a slump, and it wrecked his confidence. He had no clue where the ball was going to go when it left his foot. He still has plenty of leg, so if he can work his way out of that funk and get some sort of control again he could regain his form. The thing is, if he goes into a training camp and misses a couple I don't think he has the mental toughness to recover and win a job.

MAC DRE wrote:
I'd rather have young Wagner and Wright going forward than Willis and Bowman.
ninerfanwheelz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DirtyDez wrote:

They have a lot of their own guys to re-sign. Don't think Revis is in the cards.

But Manningham could be cut

Deadpulse on the sig

CaliforniaKid7 wrote:
How does it end? Hopefully it's a guy snake cause girls don't poop.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: