Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Matt Barkley vs. Andy Dalton (As prospects)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Django

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:12 pm    Post subject: Matt Barkley vs. Andy Dalton (As prospects) Reply with quote

Obvious Barkley is viewed as a higher prospect in his draft. But I think they are comparable as prospects.

Going back to how Dalton was viewed before the 2011 draft...

Are you more sold on Barkley now or Dalton then?
Joe Nobody

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dalton, easily. More fire in his belly. Gotta have that to overcome physical limitations.
Dawgpoun8017

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
After watching over 250 of his college throws, NFL Films guru Greg Cosell believes USC QB Matt Barkley is a "fourth-round talent" on tape.
Cosell is perhaps the most respected tape watcher in football circles. "Number one, he has average arm strength by NFL standards," Cosell said. "Number two, his feet are not particularly quick, he has slower feet. And three, he's a little shorter." Elaborating on Twitter, Cosell said he believes Barkley could be an NFL starter, but would require an elite supporting cast. His biggest reservations are Barkley's arm strength and athleticism, as Cosell stated Mark Sanchez had a "stronger arm" with "much better movement" in the pocket coming out of USC. With opinions all over the map, it's hard to forecast where Barkley will be drafted. Clearly, though, he'd be a severe reach in the top ten.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/256922/cosell-matt-barkley-is-a-4th-round-talent
Abe56

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely Dalton.

34 Tackles, 4 Sacks, 12 QB Hits, 6 Stuffs, 3 PD

Jets, Knicks, Athletics, Buckeyes
DirtyDez

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barkley would've been top 3 last year. Top 3.

The Rebuild Has Begun...
titwio

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DirtyDez wrote:

Unfortunately for him he had "unfinished business".
Mudderfudder77

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dawgpoun8017 wrote:
Quote:
After watching over 250 of his college throws, NFL Films guru Greg Cosell believes USC QB Matt Barkley is a "fourth-round talent" on tape.
Cosell is perhaps the most respected tape watcher in football circles. "Number one, he has average arm strength by NFL standards," Cosell said. "Number two, his feet are not particularly quick, he has slower feet. And three, he's a little shorter." Elaborating on Twitter, Cosell said he believes Barkley could be an NFL starter, but would require an elite supporting cast. His biggest reservations are Barkley's arm strength and athleticism, as Cosell stated Mark Sanchez had a "stronger arm" with "much better movement" in the pocket coming out of USC. With opinions all over the map, it's hard to forecast where Barkley will be drafted. Clearly, though, he'd be a severe reach in the top ten.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/256922/cosell-matt-barkley-is-a-4th-round-talent

To add on to this - last night on twitter Cosell talked(tweeted) quite a bit about Barkley, and then the Dalton comparison came up.

Cosell said that arm strength isn't everything, but that if you don't have it you really have to excel in other areas of the game. When he talked to scouts about Dalton he said they had him ranked '10' in all areas except arm strength, which they ranked a '4'. He just doesn't see that with Barkley.

Adopt-a-Bear Lamarr Houston

Man-child. QB-killer. Defender of the run. Destroyer of worlds
DKTurtle51

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DirtyDez wrote:
Would he have? That is where the media portrayed him, but who knows where teams actually would have valued him by the time the draft came around.

^^^NickChowaniec^^^
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Matt Barkley vs. Andy Dalton (As prospects) Reply with quote

Django wrote:
Obvious Barkley is viewed as a higher prospect in his draft. But I think they are comparable as prospects.

Going back to how Dalton was viewed before the 2011 draft...

Are you more sold on Barkley now or Dalton then?

Dalton, and it isn't even close.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
TheVillain112

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Rose Bowl game helped solidify a great college career for Dalton. The guy had a certain "it" factor that made people think he could overcome his physical limitations (height, arm strength).

Barkley has done nothing to show that he can. Ultimately they may be similar on the field, but I don't see anyone falling in love with Barkley like the Bengals did with Dalton to invest so much in him (Granted the Carson situation kind of forced the Bengals to)...
INbengalfan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barkley reminds me more of Carson Palmer (without ANY of the skillset) than Dalton. He has that California-cool, laid back approach. It's what drove Bengal fans crazy with Palmer, but at least he had a cannon tied to his right shoulder.

I wouldn't touch Barkley until late fourth or fifth.
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

titwio wrote:
DirtyDez wrote:

Unfortunately for him he had "unfinished business".
Which is further proof that Sam Bradford going #1 overall was absolutely ridiculous.

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery
ark23

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sense a lot of revisionist history here. I'm not particularly high on Barkley, I have a second round grade on him he's somewhere in the 60's on my big board. I don't think he's an elite prospect, far from it and he's fairly scheme limited.

But people are acting like Dalton was some sure thing coming out. Dalton wasn't a game manager at TCU but he wasn't far from it. That offense was based around running the football, limiting his mistakes and playing solid defense. I preferred Greg McElroy to Dalton coming out, and I had a third-fourth round grade on Dalton. A lot of people didn't like the pick when he was taken and people were NOT solid on Dalton as an NFL starter. Didn't have the size or NFL arm is what people said about him.

I think as prospects I'd take Barkley because as I said I wasn't high on Dalton coming out and I didn't see an NFL starter. But Dalton is without question a better athlete who can extend plays and move in the pocket. Barkley struggles because he's slow footed but his ball placement is good, anticipation is among the best in this draft class - which is critical for a guy without great arm strength, very experienced as a four year starter and he was the guy on that offense who made a lot of line calls, lots of checks/hot routes/audibles. He's ready to step in right away as an NFL starter in a WCO.
LuckyNumber11

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barkley sucks. Dalton cab actually throw the ball for more than 40 yards down the field. Barkley can't

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LuckyNumber11 wrote:
Barkley sucks. Dalton cab actually throw the ball for more than 40 yards down the field. Barkley can't

I think that's a lot of hyperbole on your part.

I never thought Matt Barkley was ever a top level prospect even the last couple of years, but I think he has the tools mentally to transform into a top level quarterback in the NFL.

I think Barkley and Dalton are pretty close as prospects. I like Barkley between the ears more but I liked Dalton as an athlete more.

And yes, he can throw the ball 40+ yards downfield.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: