Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Official '12-'13 Champions League Thread 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 81, 82, 83  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kempes

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really glad Real got Galascum, hopefully that means they'll be out of the competition.

I'm on your side ElRey!
ElReyDeLosReyes

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no easy team in the Champions League.

Looking forward to it though!

Kempes wrote:
Really glad Real got Galascum, hopefully that means they'll be out of the competition.

I'm on your side ElRey!

#HalaMadrid

#WeAreInThisTogether

#Madrid&LeedsBleedWhite

yankee0724 wrote:
My team is based heavily off of Mourinho at Madrid.
^ FC Barcelona Fan ^
roysmyboy31

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though there is really no such thing as an "easy" draw at this point of the competition, Madrid's task is certainly the least difficult.

Dortmund IMO should win their matchup, but Malaga could cause them some trouble. Pellegrini is a great manager and they have an underrated overall side.

Barca/PSG will be interesting. With Lavezzi and Pastore, they are capable of breaking on the counter well and Ibra's quality is well known. Solid backline that could give them trouble.

Bayer/Juve, I expect to be the tightest matchup of all. Bayern have historically had a tougher time against the top Italian side. We are a better team on paper, so if we play to form, we should be able to win the tie. Bayern will have to be very patient in trying to break down Juve's defense and be aware of being caught out.

I expect the German and Spanish giants to emerge from the round and that would set up some enticing matchups for the semis and final potentially.
MLB: New York Yankees
College Basketball: NC State Wolfpack
Soccer: FC Bayern Munich
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

texans_uk wrote:
Patro14 wrote:
First time in 17 years where there is no EPL team in the UCL 1/4 finals.

Yeah no our greatest moment, but every major league has had its fair share of struggles.

I do think it goes to show though that just going out with the "buy the top talent at whatever cost" (or at the cost of chemistry) strategy isn't the most effective way to win in Europe. Yes, PSG have gone through to this point this year, but they haven't looked terribly impressive in doing so and haven't exactly faced the most arduous of paths (beating up on the two Dynamo's and edging Porto for the top pot out of Group A, then edging Valencia on aggregate in the first knockout stage). Meanwhile, Dortmund (and this year Malaga) have built largely from within and even lost some pieces along the way since last year's campaign but qualified and have looked downright dominant at times.

Buying every name under the sun works just fine in the PL where a highly talented backline and defense will keep your side from dropping points most of the middle and lower table clubs consistently, and give you a good chance to at least consistently draw the upper table clubs. That can be enough to win the long haul (on points) that is the Premier League. Wont do much for you in a tournament format against the top clubs in Europe.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArodFanboy wrote:
I could see Ibra showing up in a big way against Barca in the next round. He seems to always play his best when he's either really mad, or given a reason too.

Too bad he is out for the first leg. I would have given PSG a chance if Ibra was in the game but without him, I just don't see them having enough to match up against Barcelona. However, I do think they would be a good match up like Milan was and be able to at least push Barcelona to the limits. Carlo Ancelotti is a great European manager and he has the Italian influenced tactics that we have seen recently and in the past been able to frustrate Barcelona. PSG have good defensive talent. Matuidi and Jallet have both stepped up their games to match the world class talent around them. Alex (i know...) has been solid in the back this season. And obviously Thiago Silva. I think with Ibra and another season together, they would be dangerous. I just believe in Carlo that much.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
texans_uk wrote:
Patro14 wrote:

Yeah no our greatest moment, but every major league has had its fair share of struggles.

I do think it goes to show though that just going out with the "buy the top talent at whatever cost" (or at the cost of chemistry) strategy isn't the most effective way to win in Europe. Yes, PSG have gone through to this point this year, but they haven't looked terribly impressive in doing so and haven't exactly faced the most arduous of paths (beating up on the two Dynamo's and edging Porto for the top pot out of Group A, then edging Valencia on aggregate in the first knockout stage). Meanwhile, Dortmund (and this year Malaga) have built largely from within and even lost some pieces along the way since last year's campaign but qualified and have looked downright dominant at times.

Buying every name under the sun works just fine in the PL where a highly talented backline and defense will keep your side from dropping points most of the middle and lower table clubs consistently, and give you a good chance to at least consistently draw the upper table clubs. That can be enough to win the long haul (on points) that is the Premier League. Wont do much for you in a tournament format against the top clubs in Europe.

Real Madrid?
Bayern Munich?

teamorange

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dotmotion wrote:
ArodFanboy wrote:
I could see Ibra showing up in a big way against Barca in the next round. He seems to always play his best when he's either really mad, or given a reason too.

Too bad he is out for the first leg. I would have given PSG a chance if Ibra was in the game but without him, I just don't see them having enough to match up against Barcelona. However, I do think they would be a good match up like Milan was and be able to at least push Barcelona to the limits. Carlo Ancelotti is a great European manager and he has the Italian influenced tactics that we have seen recently and in the past been able to frustrate Barcelona. PSG have good defensive talent. Matuidi and Jallet have both stepped up their games to match the world class talent around them. Alex (i know...) has been solid in the back this season. And obviously Thiago Silva. I think with Ibra and another season together, they would be dangerous. I just believe in Carlo that much.

Also I think Thiago Motta matches up well against their midfielders and I think he will give Xavi trouble like in 2010 (first leg not second obviously)

Care to offer some sort of insight instead of just being obnoxious? Rolling Eyes
I don't.

ukjets21

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully PSG can do it. Dortmund will have a tough time against Malaga, another dark horse. I'd rather have come up against PSG or Madrid, though with Hummels out mayhaps this is a blessing.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

texans_uk wrote:
The LBC wrote:
texans_uk wrote:
Patro14 wrote:

Real Madrid?
Bayern Munich?

Also teams like Malaga make it through all the time. It's the essence of a knockout tournament. We saw Schalke, Bordeux, PSV that have made it through to the quarters in the past few years. In the end, the clubs that consistently make it through understand that youth development can only take you that far. You can have your Casillas and Lahm but around them can't be average home grown players, you still need the top quality CL players if you have genuine ambitions.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's cute. Cool

yankee0724 wrote:
My team is based heavily off of Mourinho at Madrid.
^ FC Barcelona Fan ^
dotmotion

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ibra wins his appeal and can face Barca over two legs. Should be a great two legs now.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dotmotion wrote:
Ibra wins his appeal and can face Barca over two legs. Should be a great two legs now.

I'm saying he scores 3 times. Twice at home and once away.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Champions League is back!

PSG v Barcelona
Bayern Munich v Juventus

That's a nice Tuesday night schedule of football right there.
NJ Raven

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kempes wrote:

PSG v Barcelona
Bayern Munich v Juventus

I HAVE NO IDEA WHICH ONE TO WATCH
The Wyzzinator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJ Raven wrote:
Kempes wrote:

PSG v Barcelona
Bayern Munich v Juventus

I HAVE NO IDEA WHICH ONE TO WATCH

I'll be watching Bayern/Juve.. it may be the less entertaining of the ties when all is said and done (I could see a 0-0 in this one) but I'm looking forward to the tactical chess match.

PSG/Barca will be good but I just don't think PSG has the midfield to win the tie.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Soccer All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 81, 82, 83  Next
Page 32 of 83

Jump to: