Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Carson Palmer and the Cardinals..... playoff contenders?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  

With the addition of Carson Palmer, are the Cardinals playoff contenders?
Division winner, elites of the NFC... 13-3 or better. (Playoffs)
2%
 2%  [ 3 ]
Earn a WC spot in a strong division and conference. 9-12 wins. (Playoffs
12%
 12%  [ 16 ]
Mediocrity with 6-8 wins (No playoffs).
52%
 52%  [ 67 ]
Just as bad as they were before. 3-5 wins. (Obviously no playoffs)
26%
 26%  [ 34 ]
A #1 overall pick frontrunner. 0-2 wins. (Obviously no playoffs)
5%
 5%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 127

MARIO MANGELINI

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:28 am    Post subject: Carson Palmer and the Cardinals..... playoff contenders? Reply with quote

This situation eerily reminds me of the Warner led Cardinals situation back a little while ago. An older QB joins the Cardinals and leads them to a division title and playoff contention, almost winning a SB. The main difference between the two situations though..........

1. Carson Palmer never was as good as Warner, and he was only close pre-injury.

2. This Arizona Cardinal defense, if the departure of the DC doesn't harm it too much, is light years ahead of the one Warner had and in contention for one of the NFL's best.

Larry Fitzgerald is still there. Bruce Arians is a promising HC. The Cardinals have the #8 overall pick to possibly help Carson out on offense with an OT or something. They have a stellar defense, along with the unproven (but talented) Michael Floyd. And they now have Carson Palmer, a luxury compared to Kolb/Skelton/Lindley/Hoyer.

How well will the Cardinals do this season?

And will Carson Palmer revive his career with the Cardinals?
Jakuvious

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

QB is less the problem with that offense than the o-line. Yes, the QB situation was horrible, but it was magnified so much by the pass protection. Even incredibly optimistically, you're looking at, best case scenario, another Chicago, maybe. But considering I would say Palmer < Cutler, Forte is far superior to Arizona's run game, and I would give the defensive edge to Chicago as well. So I think you're still seeing a relatively mediocre team plagued by o-line problems and a limited run game.

Adopt-a-Chief: Travis "Better Than Tony Moeaki" Kelce
Pre-Season: 5 receptions, 132 yards, 2 TDs
Silver&Black88

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jakuvious wrote:
QB is less the problem with that offense than the o-line. Yes, the QB situation was horrible, but it was magnified so much by the pass protection. Even incredibly optimistically, you're looking at, best case scenario, another Chicago, maybe. But considering I would say Palmer < Cutler, Forte is far superior to Arizona's run game, and I would give the defensive edge to Chicago as well. So I think you're still seeing a relatively mediocre team plagued by o-line problems and a limited run game.

They aren't that different than us. Except no Knapp and much better WRs. I think Palmer will be at least as good as he was last year assuming the OL gives him a chance to be.

BigBillsFan13 wrote:
Silver&Black88 wrote:
Somewhere, RR strokes his mustache with pride
Among other things...
Malik

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to hear the argument that he adds 5+ wins to the Cardinals.
The Curtain

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having a horribly immobile QB like Palmer in an Arians offense is a recipe for disaster. The last time Palmer played with good receivers was in Cinci, and he made a habit out of regularly missing them. Granted, none of them were Fitz, but just saying, Fitz might not be able to bail him out as much as people think.

Could they be better than last season? Sure, but that's not saying much. Can it lead to a Warner type situation where they resurrect a QB's career, go to the playoffs and maybe even the SB? I seriously, seriously, seriously doubt it. Keep in mind that Warner was a REALLY good QB who just seemed like he was at the "done" point when he got to Arizona. Carson Palmer had one really good season, got hurt, had a couple of decent seasons, but never came close to that one season again. He just kept getting worse and worse. And that was 5 years ago. He even got a change of scenery after being moved to Oakland, and still looked the same he did in Cinci. I don't see Palmer suddenly becoming anywhere near what Warner was in his time in AZ, since he was never that good to begin with, and he's been this bad for a really long time now.
1BackInBlackFan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're not close at all to being a playoff team.

Many thanks to UniversalAuthor for Big Ben's sig
MARIO MANGELINI

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jakuvious wrote:

You never know what #8 overall could do for you in a strong O-line class. Heck, they might even trade up for Joeckel.

I certainly would feel a lot less confident in the Cardinals if it wasn't for them having the #8 overall, which gives them an opportunity to fix the O-line. I still think the guy manning the RT spot last year (Bobby Massie, right?) has a ton of potential. He really improved his pass-pro in the 2nd half of the year, allowing way less pressures. Their center, Lyle Sendlein, is solid. Have no idea about the guard spots.

It's certainly possible.
Jakuvious

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver&Black88 wrote:
Jakuvious wrote:

They aren't that different than us. Except no Knapp and much better WRs. I think Palmer will be at least as good as he was last year assuming the OL gives him a chance to be.

I actually see very few similarities between Oakland and Arizona whatsoever. Wisniewski and Veldheer are both better than anything that Arizona has on that line, and I'd probably argue that of Brisiel as well. Even Carlisle is pretty good when compared to his Cardinal counterpart. So the Raiders line is much better, their receivers are obviously much worse, and there's absolutely no comparison on the defenses. Arizona's defense has a good three or four guys better than anybody the Raiders put out, and as a group they aren't even comparable.

And how exactly can you assume the OL will give him a chance to be? That's exactly the point, is there's no reason to believe that it will.

ttitansfan4life

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely not.
Flaccomania

I'd be shocked if they manage 8 wins personally.

Have they addressed their OL problems? Did a recent re-alignment switch them out of the NFC West? No? Then...

They still are the worst team in the division, and probably have the worst starting QB (Bradford vs Palmer is close, but I give the nod to Bradford).

Nacho Simulation Football League
Jakuvious

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MARIO MANGELINI wrote:
Jakuvious wrote:

You never know what #8 overall could do for you in a strong O-line class. Heck, they might even trade up for Joeckel.

I certainly would feel a lot less confident in the Cardinals if it wasn't for them having the #8 overall, which gives them an opportunity to fix the O-line. I still think the guy manning the RT spot last year (Bobby Massie, right?) has a ton of potential. He really improved his pass-pro in the 2nd half of the year, allowing way less pressures. Their center, Lyle Sendlein, is solid. Have no idea about the guard spots.

It's certainly possible.

I know exactly what #8 overall could get them. It could get them one lineman. ONE. How well has that worked out for Cleveland or Miami over the years? Tennessee has even had two good ones for awhile, and it hasn't helped cover for their atrocious interior. And this is even assuming they take a rookie lineman at #8, AND that he amounts to something, AND that he amounts to something quickly. Could easily be another Levi Brown. Or a different position entirely.

TheKillerNacho

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MARIO MANGELINI wrote:
Jakuvious wrote:

It's certainly possible.

Possible? Sure... stranger things have happened in the NFL.

Likely? Oh my, no.

With a little over-achieving and luck, the Cards could fall in place for almost any team to sneak into the playoffs (pun intended).

Nacho Simulation Football League

Last edited by TheKillerNacho on Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
jrry32

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Palmer isn't Warner. But he does make them a much better team.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
OneBadCat

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Palmer makes them more competitive but I'm not sure you'll see that in the win column. You also have to wonder if he can stay healthy.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: