Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Andre Smith
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theJ

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE DUKE wrote:
I kind of wish now we went after Jake Long and shifted Whit to RT.

I'd rather have Whit than Long at LT, TBH. Long at his very best might be slightly better, but that's only slightly at this point. And Whit stays much healthier. Long most of the time is hurt and can't play, or hurt and playing at 75%.

Give me Whit every day including Sunday.

Don't follow your passion, take your passion with you.
ark23

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theJ wrote:
THE DUKE wrote:

I'd rather have Whit than Long at LT, TBH. Long at his very best might be slightly better, but that's only slightly at this point. And Whit stays much healthier. Long most of the time is hurt and can't play, or hurt and playing at 75%.

I agree with this. Long hasn't been healthy of late and would've commanded that big payday that we are not willing to give out.

Gregg Rosentha wrote:
SI.com's Peter King writes that smith's agents are making it "very clear" that they believe the Cincinnati Bengals' offer to him "stinks" and the "door is open" for another team to come in and steal him. Most observers expected Smith would return to the Bengals.

Frankly this seems to me like Andre's agent is attempting to drum up interest because he has no other offers to leverage the Bengals offer against, which keeps him from possibly squeezing more money out of Mike Brown. But honestly unless someone else comes in with a good offer I can't see any reason Andre wouldn't be a Bengal for the future.
TheVillain112

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ark23 wrote:

Gregg Rosentha wrote:
SI.com's Peter King writes that smith's agents are making it "very clear" that they believe the Cincinnati Bengals' offer to him "stinks" and the "door is open" for another team to come in and steal him. Most observers expected Smith would return to the Bengals.

Frankly this seems to me like Andre's agent is attempting to drum up interest because he has no other offers to leverage the Bengals offer against, which keeps him from possibly squeezing more money out of Mike Brown. But honestly unless someone else comes in with a good offer I can't see any reason Andre wouldn't be a Bengal for the future.

So the door wasn't open before for someone to sign Andre Smith? At this point, he'll either accept the Bengals deal or go somewhere else on a cheap 1 year deal to spite the Bengals (who will probably have the best offer on the table for him).

Wouldn't be smart for Andre Smith to try and do a prove it deal. He'll probably just end up hurt and on another 1 year prove it deal...

Orlovsky has too much experience here. Manziel doesn't stand a chance.
theJ

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheVillain112 wrote:
theJ wrote:
THE DUKE wrote:

Andre Smith as started 35 games in 4 seasons. Jake Long as started 74 games in 5 seasons. 75% or not, he's still a hell of a lot better of being on the field than fat boy.

I say let's just go with Anthony Collins at RT and draft a stud LG and Center to beef up the O-Line...

We're talking about two totally different things though.

I'd rather see Whitworth at LT and a rookie or Collins at RT than Long and moving Whitworth (why in the hell are we still talking about this 5 years after Whitworth has firmly established himself as a top LT?!?!?!). The reason is money. No reason to pay Long huge dollars and then have this scenario every year where Whit has to play 10 games at RT and 6 at LT. Then bring in some backup at RT for those 6 games. What a mess.

Just leave Whit alone. Leave him alone. ... i don't even know what say about this anymore except that it makes me tired.

Anywho, sounds like Smiths' agent is finally playing the game. So i would think this shouldn't take longer than another week for him to sign or find a new home. Finally.

EDIT: you ninja-edited me.

TheVillain112

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theJ wrote:
TheVillain112 wrote:
theJ wrote:
THE DUKE wrote:

Andre Smith as started 35 games in 4 seasons. Jake Long as started 74 games in 5 seasons. 75% or not, he's still a hell of a lot better of being on the field than fat boy.

I say let's just go with Anthony Collins at RT and draft a stud LG and Center to beef up the O-Line...

We're talking about two totally different things though.

I'd rather see Whitworth at LT and a rookie or Collins at RT than Long and moving Whitworth (why in the hell are we still talking about this 5 years after Whitworth has firmly established himself as a top LT?!?!?!). The reason is money. No reason to pay Long huge dollars and then have this scenario every year where Whit has to play 10 games at RT and 6 at LT. Then bring in some backup at RT for those 6 games. What a mess.

Just leave Whit alone. Leave him alone. ... i don't even know what say about this anymore except that it makes me tired.

Anywho, sounds like Smiths' agent is finally playing the game. So i would think this shouldn't take longer than another week for him to sign or find a new home. Finally.

EDIT: you ninja-edited me.

Lol. I did. I'm off this morning. Read Whit compared to Long and then compared Andre to Long... Laughing

theJ

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheVillain112 wrote:
Lol. I did. I'm off this morning. Read Whit compared to Long and then compared Andre to Long... Laughing

Nicely done. As you can tell, this whole moving Whitworth thing gets me fired up.

Anywho, i just read the Peter King article. I think the NFL.com article took that out of context. Here's the whole thing:

Quote:
6. I think the agents for Andre Smith are making it very clear to the Bengals, and to the rest of the league: The offer Cincinnati has on the table for Smith stinks (in the mind of agent and player), and the door is open for some team to come in and steal him. Listening, Arizona?

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130331/carson-palmer-kevin-kolb-monday-morning-quarterback/#ixzz2PDuguLnG

Sounds to me like King is just saying this based on the fact that Andre hasn't signed yet. I haven't even heard anything about a deal on the table. I thought the agent hadn't talked to the Bengals yet. So i don't buy anything about that initial article.

theJ

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will say, i wouldn't have minded if the team had signed Long to play RT.

I just hate the idea of moving a top 5 LT that stays healthy to the right side just to sign an injury prone LT for huge money. No thanks.

TheVillain112

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theJ wrote:

I just hate the idea of moving a top 5 LT that stays healthy to the right side just to sign an injury prone LT for huge money. No thanks.

Agree with this 100%. No way should we move Whit to RT.

I still say we'll draft someone like Chris Faulk from LSU in the 3rd round or later to replace Andre Smith...

ochocinco4pres

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheVillain112 wrote:
theJ wrote:

I still say we'll draft someone like Chris Faulk from LSU in the 3rd round or later to replace Andre Smith...

I just dont want to use a 1st round pick on a guy like Fluker.

Big thanks to kacymcbryant18 for the sig....^^
TheVillain112

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ochocinco4pres wrote:
TheVillain112 wrote:
theJ wrote:

I just dont want to use a 1st round pick on a guy like Fluker.

I doubt we do. We're not taking a RT (or TE) with our first round pick. I think we'll draft someone relatively early though (late 2nd or 3rd) to compete with Anthony Collins. We extended Collins for 2 years around the same time we declined the option on Andre Smith for a reason.

If we trade back in the 2nd or 1st, then I can definitely see that extra pick we get being used on a Tackle. Either way, I'll be shocked if we draft a RT @ #21 overall...

LondonBengal

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheVillain112 wrote:
I doubt we do. We're not taking a RT (or TE) with our first round pick. I think we'll draft someone relatively early though (late 2nd or 3rd) to compete with Anthony Collins. We extended Collins for 2 years around the same time we declined the option on Andre Smith for a reason.

If we trade back in the 2nd or 1st, then I can definitely see that extra pick we get being used on a Tackle. Either way, I'll be shocked if we draft a RT @ #21 overall...

This.

Mike Brown is in a strong position now, and he won't budge one inch. The time will come when MBB tells Andre and his agent to go shove it.

Dogbreath may think the Bengals offer 'stinks', but there have been plenty of times when the Bengals have thought that the attitude of his client stank too.

I vote we let 'Fatboy Slim' walk, and go find a RT in the draft to back-up Collins and learn the ropes.

Sorry 'J' but there may well be another off-season move on the cards; you might have to change your 'sig'.......!!!!!
theJ

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LondonBengal wrote:
Sorry 'J' but there may well be another off-season move on the cards; you might have to change your 'sig'.......!!!!!

Eh, was thinking about going sigless anyway. I hate keeping up with the players. Maybe just an avatar or something.

Or maybe i'll just leave it for the next 5 years. I'm pretty lazy.

INbengalfan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LondonBengal wrote:
TheVillain112 wrote:

This.

Mike Brown is in a strong position now, and he won't budge one inch. The time will come when MBB tells Andre and his agent to go shove it.

Dogbreath may think the Bengals offer 'stinks', but there have been plenty of times when the Bengals have thought that the attitude of his client stank too.

I vote we let 'Fatboy Slim' walk, and go find a RT in the draft to back-up Collins and learn the ropes.

As a certain ESPN college announcer would say (Lee Corso for those who missed the reference) "Not so fast my friend". I realize people are getting antsy, and even tired of waiting, but this is how the game is played. Mikey will offer a bit more and Andre will resign. He has been out there 3 weeks and noone has even kicked the tires yet. Mike Brown is just using Jedi mind tricks on player and agent and a little patience "this isn't the contract you are looking for"
INbengalfan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. A week later, i am ready to start looking for possible replacements in free agency. Anyone up for Clabo instead of Smith? What are people's thoughts on Winston?
TheVillain112

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

INbengalfan wrote:
OK. A week later, i am ready to start looking for possible replacements in free agency. Anyone up for Clabo instead of Smith? What are people's thoughts on Winston?

Rather have Clabo, better at the power run blocking from what I've seen...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: