Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

UPDATED: Romo Contract - 7YR/119M/$40 Guaranteed
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PincheJimmy wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Right, and several of those are not very good at all. And some are great. QBs, much like the rest of the draft, are a crap-shoot. It's almost a perfect storm of circumstances to make it work.

I think it helps when these guys dont have to start right away like Rodgers did

It really depends. Aikman was tossed into it from the get go. Young got to sit.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PincheJimmy wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
PincheJimmy wrote:
retrolock wrote:
PincheJimmy wrote:
Northland wrote:
I'll leave it to Sturm to assess the Romo situation. Basically, teams that have QB's at the top of their game don't let them leave unless they have someone ready to step in. The Cowboys had no choice but to resign Romo. Our front office can be held at fault for not having the vision to address finding Romo's heir. This is a systemic problem with the Cowboys. Other teams draft QB's even though they have an excellent starter. See Ron Wolf in Green Bay. These young up and coming QB's or the players they are going to replace become currency. Check out the article.

http://sturminator.blogspot.ca/

Yes, its a good article, I thought I was gonna read how the half the league drafts a QB even though they have a top tier QB in place and the Cowboys were the only team dumb enpugh not to groom a replacement. he named only 4 teams!! Anyhow, good read. As I said before, they need to draft a QB with a high draft pick in 2014 or 2015 and let that QB sit and learn for a year or 2, and hope that he will be ready to take over Romo

I thought we drafted McGee? Where is that guy right now?

Uh, he is gone now Smile but it was apparent early that he wasnt going to be all that good.

And we used a 4th round pick on him. We don't exactly have a solid track record of evaluating QBs. And part of that is because we really don't make an attempt to evaluate them.

What do you think of using a 1st rd pick next year ( or 2015)on a QB and let him watch and learn?

It would depend on who the pick is used on. Based on the potential QB crop in college, it may not be feasible to use a 1st round pick on a QB because no one has stood out as a 1st round candidate other than Teddy Bridgewater. But, if a guy proves to be worth the value and we're in a position to select him, then yes, we should make that move. In my opinion, Romo's extension is really nothing more than a heavily frontloaded 3 year deal as long (as we don't continually restructure it), so drafting a QB and letting him watch and learn is a very smart strategy.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
Dboys88-82

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PincheJimmy wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Right, and several of those are not very good at all. And some are great. QBs, much like the rest of the draft, are a crap-shoot. It's almost a perfect storm of circumstances to make it work.

Or Rodgers would have done well right away like a lot of other young successful QBs. There are a lot of guys that sit and wait behind good veterans and are "groomed" and then end up sucking.
PincheJimmy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dboys88-82 wrote:
PincheJimmy wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:

Or Rodgers would have done well right away like a lot of other young successful QBs. There are a lot of guys that sit and wait behind good veterans and are "groomed" and then end up sucking.

Can you name me some? not trying to a smartypants, Id really like to know
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PincheJimmy wrote:
Dboys88-82 wrote:
PincheJimmy wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:

I can name a great many QBs who sat and waited behind veterans and turned out to be very productive pros. Danny White, Steve Young, Steve McNair, Matt Hasselbeck, Aaron Rodgers, Philip Rivers, Carson Palmer, etc. They've all had (or are currently having) solid careers.

Granted, every situation is unique and a QB's success is also dependent on the situation he is fortunate enough to be in. When he has the right coaches, the right kind of scheme, the right kind of o-line, good weapons to use, and he has natural ability himself (coupled with a great work ethic), it will often lend itself to success. The combination of factors is crucial.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
PincheJimmy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
PincheJimmy wrote:
Dboys88-82 wrote:
PincheJimmy wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:

I can name a great many QBs who sat and waited behind veterans and turned out to be very productive pros. Danny White, Steve Young, Steve McNair, Matt Hasselbeck, Aaron Rodgers, Philip Rivers, Carson Palmer, etc. They've all had (or are currently having) solid careers.

Granted, every situation is unique and a QB's success is also dependent on the situation he is fortunate enough to be in. When he has the right coaches, the right kind of scheme, the right kind of o-line, good weapons to use, and he has natural ability himself (coupled with a great work ethic), it will often lend itself to success. The combination of factors is crucial.

the first 4 were long ago, I was trying to think of some more current, 2000's moving forward, I cant think of very many
Texas_OutLaw7

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's fair game to criticize Jerry Jones for lots of things. Signing Romo to be the quarterback of the Cowboys for the next five or six years isn't one of them.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130402/carson-palmer-tony-romo-colt-mccoy-peter-king/#ixzz2PL1UkGFY

Seven seasons prior to Romo (1999-2005):
W/L: 48-64
TD/INT Ratio: -10

Seven Seasons with Romo:
W/L: 64-48*
TD/INT Ratio: +86*

*Includes season Romo was injured.

In Redball I Trust!
Texas_OutLaw7

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the sake of intellectual honesty - those numbers are drastic because of how AWFUL we were at QB before Romo.

In Redball I Trust!
Northland

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no proven formula to finding a good QB - first round QB's can be a bust. But I know this much. I remember how lean the years were when Aikman retired. If we don't make an effort to find and groom Romo's eventual replacement we are going to be scrambling to fill a huge void and 8-8 will look like a birth in the Superbowl.

It doesn't matter to me what the rest of the league does or doesn't do. We have to ask ourselves if finding Romo's successor is important and then we have to take the proper steps to finding him. That will involve spending a high draft pick or two. The position is too important to ignore.
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
For the sake of intellectual honesty - those numbers are drastic because of how AWFUL we were at QB before Romo.

The problem, of course, is that the past 3 years Romo has been a much more pedestrian 17-21. Not to mention that he is 33. You can only live off past victories so long.
canadaluvsdalla

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Slamman wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:

The problem, of course, is that the past 3 years Romo has been a much more pedestrian 17-21. Not to mention that he is 33. You can only live off past victories so long.

Past 3 years our offensive line has been garbage also. It's just a perfect trend we are seeing here.

Jason Garrett wrote:
It's not about them, it's about us.
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

canadaluvsdalla wrote:
The_Slamman wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:

Past 3 years our offensive line has been garbage also. It's just a perfect trend we are seeing here.

That is what your favorite owner calls "Romo Friendly."
Texas_OutLaw7

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think it was a good signing by the Cowboys,” Simms said. “If they wouldn’t have signed him and he became a free agent, everybody says, ‘Oh, just let him go.’ My God, there would’ve been teams doing cartwheels trying to get him. I think everybody in the league realizes the talent. I read some things that people said about Tony Romo.

“The Dallas Cowboys were probably a 4-12, 6-10 team last year and he was at least fighting to get them into the playoffs to the last game of the year. Now, we’ve all of a sudden created a new stat for Tony Romo, elimination games. We don’t say it about any other quarterback, but elimination games for Tony Romo because it sounds a lot better. ‘We can get more losses on that column.’

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2013/04/phil-simms-if-tony-romo-made-it-to-free-agency-there-wouldve-been-teams-doing-cartwheels-trying-to-get-him.html/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

In Redball I Trust!
textaz03

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Quote:
I think it was a good signing by the Cowboys,” Simms said. “If they wouldn’t have signed him and he became a free agent, everybody says, ‘Oh, just let him go.’ My God, there would’ve been teams doing cartwheels trying to get him. I think everybody in the league realizes the talent. I read some things that people said about Tony Romo.

“The Dallas Cowboys were probably a 4-12, 6-10 team last year and he was at least fighting to get them into the playoffs to the last game of the year. Now, we’ve all of a sudden created a new stat for Tony Romo, elimination games. We don’t say it about any other quarterback, but elimination games for Tony Romo because it sounds a lot better. ‘We can get more losses on that column.’

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2013/04/phil-simms-if-tony-romo-made-it-to-free-agency-there-wouldve-been-teams-doing-cartwheels-trying-to-get-him.html/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
you know, Simms does have a valid point. We never here that "Stat" of elimination games associated with any other QB in the league. Only Romo.

I'm curious, where can I find this stat for the other 31 starting QB's in the league for the past few years. I can't seem to find it on NFL.com, ESPN.com, Foxsports.com, CBSsports.com, or any other stat sites that I check. Hmmm puzzled???????

"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyways" - John Wayne
TheStarStillShines

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

textaz03 wrote:
you know, Simms does have a valid point. We never here that "Stat" of elimination games associated with any other QB in the league. Only Romo.

I'm curious, where can I find this stat for the other 31 starting QB's in the league for the past few years. I can't seem to find it on NFL.com, ESPN.com, Foxsports.com, CBSsports.com, or any other stat sites that I check. Hmmm puzzled???????

One playoff win in his career is the biggest stat and the one that matters the most. Other QBs don't get this stat attached to them because they win and perform in big games. Well, Ryan is the other QB that gets hammered for his poor playoff performances.

Anyway, I understand why the team extended him, but I don't like the contract. Plan and Slam outlined many of the reasons why. I just hope Romo finds a way to control his emotions in big games and wins them. The team is going to live and die with him for the next three or four years.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 22 of 25

Jump to: