You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Reasons Lions Should NOT Draft a qb this year or next
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jameson23

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bucky wrote:
What about this scenario, we take willis at number 2, then we trade bly and our third rounder for about pick 15 if nelson or landry or griffin are still available then make a move for one of those guys, and in round 2 we draft hughes.

So we would get our stud MLB, the safety we need, get rid of bly in his contract year, and get the best cover 2 guy in the draft.

Im not sold on Willis yet. Im also not sure if we could 15-20 for bly and a 3rd. I think that after the combine Reggie Nelson will emerge as the #1 saftey. Take Nelson #2, Hughes round 2, and a guy like David Harris in the 3rd. Best Case Senario arizona trades up to #2 and we get Nelson at 5 and have extra picks to work with.
Bucky

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harris doesn't fit our scheme, we need someone more athletic who can cover better.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you watched willis a lot this year? cause hes one player who i havent seen at all really. what are his good atributes?
Bucky

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is a scouting report on him

strengths: A very good athlete...has excellent instincts...Good speed and quickness with a range from sideline to sideline...A big hitter and reliable tackler...Is strong and powerful...Was extremely productive....Versatile and could conceivably play either inside or outside...Good pass rusher on blitzes...Tough guy who will do whatever it takes to get on the field...Hard worker and a leader with top-notch intangibles

weaknesses: Moves well and is adequate in coverage but could stand to improve, needs to bulk up and get stronger, plays too high at times, gets overwhelmed by massive blockers...has some durability concerns

extra info: Won the Butkus award as a senior...lost his brother when he was 17...has overcome a lot in his life to get to where he is now...is heavily involved in community service...is a great person and player who will be an asset to a team both on and off the field...is simply one of the best linebackers available this year

I've heard people compare him to Ray Lewis, but i would compare him more to jonathon vilma

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Willis sounds like the kinda guy I would want if I were Barry...
dom4prez

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking the best pick for us would be Patrick Willis. SEC defensive player of the year and only missed it by one vote last year to DeMeco Ryans.
Apparently Barry has a few players he already likes from the Detroit defense and Kenoy Kennedy is one of them <he referred to him in is introduction speech>. With him and Bullocks and maybe Holt I'm not sure safety is one of our top needs, although it definitely wouldn't hurt to upgrade.
To me it seems almost all of the top defenses in the league are carried by their stud MLBs (i.e B. Urlacher, R. Lewis, Al Wilson, Z. Thomas and of course a few others). These MLBs seem to be the cement that holds their defenses together. We need a stud ILB to cement our defense.

...IMO our defense would be most improved with the addition of Willis.
Bucky

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said, i forgot about the comments about kenoy...The only thing is, Bullocks is more suited to SS so eventually he will be moving there once kenoy is gone and i'm not so sure that Holt will be able to take over as FS. I'm really high on Willis, there hasn't been a stud MLB since Vilma and we gotta jump on Willis while there is one.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bucky wrote:
here is a scouting report on him

strengths: A very good athlete...has excellent instincts...Good speed and quickness with a range from sideline to sideline...A big hitter and reliable tackler...Is strong and powerful...Was extremely productive....Versatile and could conceivably play either inside or outside...Good pass rusher on blitzes...Tough guy who will do whatever it takes to get on the field...Hard worker and a leader with top-notch intangibles

weaknesses: Moves well and is adequate in coverage but could stand to improve, needs to bulk up and get stronger, plays too high at times, gets overwhelmed by massive blockers...has some durability concerns

extra info: Won the Butkus award as a senior...lost his brother when he was 17...has overcome a lot in his life to get to where he is now...is heavily involved in community service...is a great person and player who will be an asset to a team both on and off the field...is simply one of the best linebackers available this year

I've heard people compare him to Ray Lewis, but i would compare him more to jonathon vilma

He sure sounds like what marinelli and barry are looking for and a dominant Lion MLB for 10 plus years.

I am very high on Willis and is worth a top 10 pick, preferbaly after a trade down.
oostorm

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dom4prez wrote:
I'm thinking the best pick for us would be Patrick Willis. SEC defensive player of the year and only missed it by one vote last year to DeMeco Ryans.
Apparently Barry has a few players he already likes from the Detroit defense and Kenoy Kennedy is one of them <he referred to him in is introduction speech>. With him and Bullocks and maybe Holt I'm not sure safety is one of our top needs, although it definitely wouldn't hurt to upgrade.
To me it seems almost all of the top defenses in the league are carried by their stud MLBs (i.e B. Urlacher, R. Lewis, Al Wilson, Z. Thomas and of course a few others). These MLBs seem to be the cement that holds their defenses together. We need a stud ILB to cement our defense.

...IMO our defense would be most improved with the addition of Willis.

Agreed, and I honestly think our secondary is completely set
Bucky

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wouldn't surprise me to see Bly gone, he doesn't fit the cover 2 scheme...Bryant is much better in run support than Bly so Bryant would stay before Bly.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cutting Bly would be a huge cap hit.
Bucky

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But would it be as big as paying him his 4 million dollar bones (i think that is what it is, correct me if i'm wrong) for one more year (i think that's what he has left on his contract)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bucky wrote:
But would it be as big as paying him his 4 million dollar bones (i think that is what it is, correct me if i'm wrong) for one more year (i think that's what he has left on his contract)

True, Bly's cap hit around 4 mil, but I think I read somewhere(mlive,freep?) if they cut him, his cap hit is the same 4 mil. I think keep him and let him play nickel. Because, by cutting bly, you are spending 4mil(same to cut or keep) and now you have to find someone else to play CB. Bly's 4mil and new guys salary is more than bly's alone.

Also, I think Bly is an upgrade over McGraw in the nickle package. lol
osiris

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Lions should take a QB, but not higher than the 4th or maybe the 3rd round. They need someone to develop.

When you're as crappy as the Lions, you can't afford to miss on your first few picks. QB is a real hit or miss position when it comes to the draft. Besides, there are a lot of QBs that are either drafted late or undrafted that end up being real good NFL QBs. Look at the playoff QBs this year. Many of the better ones were either undrafted or drafted late. And for every Peyton Manning, there seems to be a Ryan Leaf.
Bucky

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

osiris wrote:
I think the Lions should take a QB, but not higher than the 4th or maybe the 3rd round. They need someone to develop.

When you're as crappy as the Lions, you can't afford to miss on your first few picks. QB is a real hit or miss position when it comes to the draft. Besides, there are a lot of QBs that are either drafted late or undrafted that end up being real good NFL QBs. Look at the playoff QBs this year. Many of the better ones were either undrafted or drafted late. And for every Peyton Manning, there seems to be a Ryan Leaf.

Let's look at playoff quarterbacks this year...Peyton Manning, number 1...Steve McNair, number 9...Donovon McNabb, number 2 (normally the eagles starter), Jeff Garcia, undrafted...Matt Hasselbeck, 6th round...Rex Grossman, number 22...Tom Brady, sixth round...Phillip Rivers, round 1....Not counting McNabb 4 of the 8 left were first rounders. Matt Hasselbeck, if he didn't land in the right situation (QB guru Holmgren in GB and Seattle, plus learning behind one of the GOAT in Favre) i'm willing to bet he wouldn't be here. Brady, obviously you can't say anything about him. Garcia, who was undrafted, is one of those guys like Warner, Flutie, who make it through hard work and dedication...Odds are you won't find a playoff quarterback who went undrafted. I'm not saying i want to draft a quarterback, because i'm completely against it, but your odds of finding a great quarterback are much greater in round 1 than in a later/undrafted round.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: