Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

1st Round (26): Datone Jones, DE, UCLA
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pollino14

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just listened to one of his interviews, and man I love this pick. Guy stives to be the best and is going to work hard for it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PossibleCabbage wrote:
Looking at some of Jones's numbers: 10-yard split: 1.61, Shuttle: 4.32, Cone: 7.32

I'm starting to think that maybe we go 7 DL and light on OLBs.

I mean, it's not like Jones can't move like some of the guys we've had at OLB (He matches Zombo and Moses's 1.61 10 yard split, and he beats Moses, Perry, and Zombo in the shuttle.)

Yep.

Plus if you want to get technical and use Waldo's numbers and use his tiers for grading prospects, Dantone Jones meets his mid/low risk for OLB's in the 3-4...Laughing

Elite first step for 5-tech/3-tech as he will be used here in GB. Fits well because the guy is long, strong and above all else quick. Not as athletic as a guy like Margus Hunt but is much, much more polished and is only turning 23.

I see 7 DL and 9 LB making the team, which leaves room for 9ish DB's. One DB, one OLB needed to fill out our defense for the 53 man roster, I'd say.

Sig brought to you by Justo
CWood21

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mendeleev wrote:
The reasoning behind this is so bad.

Out of 9 draft picks, 5 were lineman. Before this year, only 4 out of 8. Then you try to shore up your argument with saying other than premium positions and AJ Hawk, this theory is 100% accurate. Straight out of Anchorman. Not only that, since 7-8 out of 22 starters are lineman, you would think that 5 out of 9 picks being lineman actually makes sense. Couple that with the fact that every draft has a disproportionate number of lineman going in the 1st round, this is not unique. You haven't figured out some pattern, sorry.

Edit: Did I mention there is only a sample size of 9?

Where's the line in the sand for sample size? Is it 10? Is it 20? We've had 9 first round picks. One of them was a QB, two were pass rushers, five were lineman, and one was AJ Hawk. Seems like a pretty decent trend to me, even if the sample size isn't as big as you'd like.

I'm saying AJ Hawk is the only outlier in the draft. And if you remember following the draft that year, it was AJ Hawk or Vernon Davis. Those were considered the last two of that "elite" tier. Guys like Michael Huff, Ernie Sims, and Haloti Ngata were all considered clearly worse players. It makes sense why premium positions (like QB and pass rusher) are there, but the lineman part makes sense when you remember what Ted Thompson said abut players closer to the ball. I wish I had the quote in front of me (I'm sure someone has it), but it essentially had him saying that players closer to the ball have more impact on the game.
CWood21

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AaronCharles wrote:
‏@PackerReport now
Could really see small-school bonanza for #Packers today. Patton, Wilcox and Brandon Williams in play in Day 2.

Seems like speculation. Could see a WR taken late in Round 2 though. Very likely IMO.
packerfanman4

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blueswedeshoes wrote:
CentralFC wrote:
I love this selection. The big thing that he brings is not only scheme versatility but a propensity to penetrate and get in the backfield. Fast (4.8?) and athletic enough to be a big disruption for read option teams.

Hopefully he transitions well and can hold the point in the ground game, but I don't see this as a problem as the natural strength appears to be there and in excess.

Absolutely ecstatic about this kid. He'll complement Raji well and add something we haven't seen since Cullen.

Also something I want to point out: seems like a very, very well spoken and thoughtful individual. Not the most important thing, but something that's always great to have. That mindset can make him elite.

I have moved a long way and am now closer to your position. Before the draft, based on the very feeble input of watching Youtube video, I really didn't like the guy. He was disruptive, yes, but he was such a maniac he ran himself right out of plays.

As I factor in the data that I am an idiot and TT is a genius I am feeling better about the pick.

A smart idiot you are Wink

Thrillhouse wrote:
Scarlett's my top babe. She's like, Aaron Rodgers' tier. If mortals were worthy of Aaron's affections, that is.
Mr Green

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an interesting tidbit, because Datone Jones will be wearing 95, I found it funny to mention that Brad Jones wears 59.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
{Family Ghost}

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Datone is going to be a star in this league. He's got that upside you want .. won't take him long to establish himself as a top 3-4 5T. He's also got some charisma about him .. can see him being a real "tone setter" in GB.
svp

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look at Datone's low pad level and MM past pad level
sentiment it makes
aldavis sense.

gizmo2012

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

svp wrote:
If you look at Datone's low pad level and MM past pad level
sentiment it makes
aldavis sense.

Now whip Johnny Jolly into shape and that DL gets a lot meaner doesn't it.
ajdodge09

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpjCaXaPm1A&feature=player_embedded#t=195s

Datone at the Senior Bowl making Hugh Thornton look like a fool with his pants on the ground.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude needs to start working out Laughing

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ best sig I've seen!

Also, Shocked Dude can't even rest his arms by his sides due to his lats.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ajdodge09 wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpjCaXaPm1A&feature=player_embedded#t=195s

Datone at the Senior Bowl making Hugh Thornton look like a fool with his pants on the ground.

Whooped up on Justin Pugh, too. Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 12 of 13

Jump to: