Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Mark Sanchez' future
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How long will Mark Sanchez be on the Jets?
Whole season as our starter.
36%
 36%  [ 8 ]
Whole season as a bench warmer.
22%
 22%  [ 5 ]
Cut before June 1st.
22%
 22%  [ 5 ]
Cut after June 1st.
18%
 18%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 22

Author Message
rampantjet


Joined: 25 Apr 2012
Posts: 2217
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idzik4president wrote:
I hate to say this but I could see Sanchez winning the competition. Hes obviously done a lot of work this offseason learning this whole offense. I wouldnt be surprised if we saw Sanchez's best year. Frankly that would probably be the worst thing that could happen, but I have always said that Sanchez can be a successful quarterback in a west coast offense like they ran at USC. We will see.


I feel like we have been convinced of this every year though. We always get "no really Mark has worked a ton and looks like a whole new QB, he even worked with the super duper QB guru and is awesome now" then the season starts and we see terribleness.

It even worked on me last year. I had high hopes that we were going to see Sanchez take a big step.... I am done with it, in my mind he is what it is, and thats not very good.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Davey


Joined: 28 Jan 2006
Posts: 21516
Location: New Jersey
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David Garrard isn't exactly coming off winning a Super Bowl somewhere else. His last real action in the NFL came in 2010, that's three years ago. Garrard was a competent, sometimes really good quarterback during his time in Jacksonville but he still has a lot of questions to answer. This could just as well be a comeback attempt that completely fizzles out.

Geno Smith was a legitimate first round talent, and obviously was frequently mocked higher than where the Jets were picking even in the first round. So the potential is clearly there. Do we really want him starting right away though? This isn't Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin, Cam Newton, Sam Bradford... this is a quarterback that the consensus was he's a mid-to-late first round talent but not one that is necessarily ready to start right away. Not every quarterback can handle that, even ones that eventually end up great. The difference with many of those guys though is that they were top 5 picks and have a lot invested in them. Geno Smith as a second round pick at QB is a lot more disposable if the Jets start him as a rookie and the result is a 3-13 and a draft pick amongst the top 3 to 5 picks, should the 2014 class have more promising players at quarterback.

Both these guys deserve the chance to compete, but if the competition is literally just the two of them than that's underwhelming and we're basically disguising a "we want to play Geno Smith right away" stunt in the form of a competition rather than an actual one. Sort of like what a lot of people felt the 2009 rookie Sanchez/Kellen Clemens QB competition was.

Sanchez needs to be involved. Whether people want him as a Jet or not after last year, he's still the most accomplished quarterback on the roster and raises the level of the QB competition simply by being in it. And should he win it(and I think he'd be the favorite), I don't see what's so bad about him starting this season in what is essentially a lost season unless Sanchez somehow puts it together for real.

This season is about preparing for the future. Our future at the position now is Geno Smith. At most positions you'd say to just play the youngster and let him gain experience as you learn most that way. But with quarterbacks I don't think you can always say that, there's evidence to the benefits of riding the pine and learning the game at a slower pace rather than being thrown into the fire which likewise can have some really negative effects on quarterbacks.

Protect Geno Smith, give him time to flourish. If that means another year of Sanchez starting I don't mind that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Steve the Dream


Joined: 14 Jan 2010
Posts: 552
Location: University of Scranton
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davey wrote:
David Garrard isn't exactly coming off winning a Super Bowl somewhere else. His last real action in the NFL came in 2010, that's three years ago. Garrard was a competent, sometimes really good quarterback during his time in Jacksonville but he still has a lot of questions to answer. This could just as well be a comeback attempt that completely fizzles out.

Geno Smith was a legitimate first round talent, and obviously was frequently mocked higher than where the Jets were picking even in the first round. So the potential is clearly there. Do we really want him starting right away though? This isn't Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin, Cam Newton, Sam Bradford... this is a quarterback that the consensus was he's a mid-to-late first round talent but not one that is necessarily ready to start right away. Not every quarterback can handle that, even ones that eventually end up great. The difference with many of those guys though is that they were top 5 picks and have a lot invested in them. Geno Smith as a second round pick at QB is a lot more disposable if the Jets start him as a rookie and the result is a 3-13 and a draft pick amongst the top 3 to 5 picks, should the 2014 class have more promising players at quarterback.

Both these guys deserve the chance to compete, but if the competition is literally just the two of them than that's underwhelming and we're basically disguising a "we want to play Geno Smith right away" stunt in the form of a competition rather than an actual one. Sort of like what a lot of people felt the 2009 rookie Sanchez/Kellen Clemens QB competition was.

Sanchez needs to be involved. Whether people want him as a Jet or not after last year, he's still the most accomplished quarterback on the roster and raises the level of the QB competition simply by being in it. And should he win it(and I think he'd be the favorite), I don't see what's so bad about him starting this season in what is essentially a lost season unless Sanchez somehow puts it together for real.

This season is about preparing for the future. Our future at the position now is Geno Smith. At most positions you'd say to just play the youngster and let him gain experience as you learn most that way. But with quarterbacks I don't think you can always say that, there's evidence to the benefits of riding the pine and learning the game at a slower pace rather than being thrown into the fire which likewise can have some really negative effects on quarterbacks.

Protect Geno Smith, give him time to flourish. If that means another year of Sanchez starting I don't mind that.


This post should be published. Can we give you Manish's job?
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
KingOfTheHill84


Joined: 10 Jun 2012
Posts: 2808
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kinda wish we had a better mentor for him. I would have loved to get Matt Hasselbeck to start the year and groom Geno to be a Franchise QB

As for Sanchez, the kid is finished and it was a fatality
_________________

[quote="Ring Worm Sherm"]Revis hasn't done jack since 09[/quote]Fly-A-Jet 2013 Jeremy Kerley
Rec:5 Yards:70 TDs:0 PR Average:7 ypa
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jpt331


Joined: 21 Jan 2012
Posts: 520
Location: Sandwhich on the Sig
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He can be our New Punt Protector
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rampantjet


Joined: 25 Apr 2012
Posts: 2217
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Sanchez needs to be involved. Whether people want him as a Jet or not after last year, he's still the most accomplished quarterback on the roster and raises the level of the QB competition simply by being in it. And should he win it(and I think he'd be the favorite), I don't see what's so bad about him starting this season in what is essentially a lost season unless Sanchez somehow puts it together for real.


I really disagree with Sanchez being the most accomplished QB on the roster. While I understand that Garrard hasn't played in 2 years, he is clearly the most accomplished QB in my mind. He was on a team bereft of talent and still put up FAR superior numbers to any Sanchez has ever put up.

Now I am going to assume, you are saying Sanchez is more accomplished due to him getting farther in the playoffs. With the #1 running game and #1 D that strikes me as as a stretch that he gets a large portion of the credit for that. Thats like saying Trent Dilfer is more accomplished than Dan Marino since he won a Super Bowl and Marino never did.

The more I think about this situation the more I want us to start Geno right away. It seems to be the way of the NFL now days for the most part. I think Geno is far more NFL ready than Tannehill who had very little experience as a QB, and Tannehill started and showed improvement throughout the season. The arguement that we don't wanna set the kid up to fail and crush his confidence doesn't do much for me either. If the kid is gonna wilt after one bad season(especially if it is his first) then I don't believe he has what it takes to lead this team or be a franchise QB to begin with. We already tried treating Sanchez with kid gloves (probably because he is a pansey) and it didn't work.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rich51


Joined: 16 Jan 2012
Posts: 1120
Location: WPB Fl via Jc NJ
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idzik4president wrote:
I hate to say this but I could see Sanchez winning the competition. Hes obviously done a lot of work this offseason learning this whole offense. I wouldnt be surprised if we saw Sanchez's best year. Frankly that would probably be the worst thing that could happen, but I have always said that Sanchez can be a successful quarterback in a west coast offense like they ran at USC. We will see.


I agree. Sanchez winning the job and having his best year wouldn't surprise me. I mean it's not like he's been a total bust, and he's only 26.

In his third year he had a mid 80 Qb rating for the first 13 games and that was with a poorly designed running game, a discontented Holmes and a useless Burress. Of course he fell apart in the last 3 games, but you could see it coming, Shotty really had no feel for our offensive Err, the turnstile named Wayne Hunter didn't help either.

My opinion is that Holmes should have been cut for his behavior but no, we bring him back and draft the rawest Wr since my old favorite, Lam Jones, and no Rt. and than the circus came to town.

This year instead of getting Sanchez help with a top Wr or TE, we use a second round pick on another controversial Qb. I know many of the mockers had Smith going in the first but the reality is that four teams that could have used him passed.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jetskid007


Joined: 09 Jan 2006
Posts: 8001
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly think he'll win the job... he was so terrible last year, but work ethic is not a question with him. David Garrard will have a shot, but ultimately I find it hard to believe that he'll be able to beat out these guys after sitting out 2 years.

Make no mistake, Geno Smith is our future. I think the Jets are going to rely on the run game this year, play Mark, and let Geno develop. It's awfully similar to the 49ers structure (Smith-Kaepernick), however we're a far less talented team.

Scenario 1: Mark Sanchez starts and is successful; Jets trade him
Scenario 2: Mark Sanchez starts and sucks; Jets cut him
Scenario 3: Mark Sanchez sucks in training camp; Jets cut him
Scenario 4: Mark Sanchez plays unbelievable; Jets keep him in 2014
_________________

New York Sack Exchange Redux
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
quietjetsket


Joined: 20 Sep 2012
Posts: 3854
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scenario 3 is valid. I can't see Jets run more than pass. Mornhinweg is not heavily one sided mind.


If Jets are destined to rely on the run game then Geno Smith is our starter. Period.




Matt Simms. Matt Simms... Matt Simms.....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
famousj


Joined: 04 Jan 2006
Posts: 1832
Location: Queens, NY
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:39 pm    Post subject: Geno Smith is our Qb Reply with quote

Really. People think Mark Sanchez is going to be the starter the whole season. I think you guys are looking for the Jets to tank the season so we can get a shot at Bridgewater or Clowney. Unfortunately, I don't see that happening. Rex Ryan's job is on the line. He is going to want to win as many games as possible.


My plan is :


A. 1. Cut Sanchez
2. Start Garrard the first 2 games against the Bucs and Patriots.
3. Start Geno Smith game 3 against the Buffalo Bills.


B. 1. Play Sanchez against Bucs and Patriots.
2. Find reason to bench or cut Sanchez and start Geno Smith game 3.


Either way, if Geno Smith tanks then the Jets have a good reason to draft Bridgewater or another QB in the 2014 draft.
_________________


Props to Sandwich for Sig

Idzik: SPEND BABY SPEND!!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jetsfandan423


Moderator
Joined: 25 Feb 2006
Posts: 16634
Location: Greensboro, NC
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetskid007 wrote:
I honestly think he'll win the job... he was so terrible last year, but work ethic is not a question with him. David Garrard will have a shot, but ultimately I find it hard to believe that he'll be able to beat out these guys after sitting out 2 years.

Make no mistake, Geno Smith is our future. I think the Jets are going to rely on the run game this year, play Mark, and let Geno develop. It's awfully similar to the 49ers structure (Smith-Kaepernick), however we're a far less talented team.

Scenario 1: Mark Sanchez starts and is successful; Jets trade him
Scenario 2: Mark Sanchez starts and sucks; Jets cut him
Scenario 3: Mark Sanchez sucks in training camp; Jets cut him
Scenario 4: Mark Sanchez plays unbelievable; Jets keep him in 2014



Agreed with this and Dave's post. Sanchez could be cut but I think unless he wants out, he will be our opening day starter, barring injury. He is most accomplished QB on the roster, and even though last year was abysmal Sparanos system wasn't QB friendly, a lot of offensive personnel were injured, and we had Tebow mania. I made this point in another thread, but Sanchez is going to be motivated to be at his very best no matter what. If he can play lights out he could stay as our starter into 2014, or we could trade him. If he doesn't then we can just cut him. But he will want to play well to be able to have a chance to be a starter, whether for us or someone else beyond 2013.
_________________


Adopt a Jet: David Harris
TCKL: 20 SACK: 1 FF: 1 INT:
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
Raoul Duke


Joined: 01 Mar 2007
Posts: 3173
Location: Upstate NY
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think there is any way any of us can say for sure what should happen with the QB situation until they get into the preseason.

I have to believe that Sanchez and Garrard are going to battle it out for the starting job but I can certainly see a situation where Geno starts.

Personally, I think the best case scenario is that Geno is so impressive that they have no choice but to start him from day 1.
_________________
“You don’t burn out from going too fast. You burn out from going too slow and getting bored.”

- Cliff Burton
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sandwhich


Joined: 25 Mar 2006
Posts: 8429
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raoul Duke wrote:
I don't think there is any way any of us can say for sure what should happen with the QB situation until they get into the preseason.

I have to believe that Sanchez and Garrard are going to battle it out for the starting job but I can certainly see a situation where Geno starts.

Personally, I think the best case scenario is that Geno is so impressive that they have no choice but to start him from day 1.


That's the only way I want him starting. If it's just because Sanchez and Garrard don't perform well in pre-season, but smith isn't exactly "hot" either, we're going to be in trouble. We absolutely cannot afford to just throw him into the fire.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Raoul Duke


Joined: 01 Mar 2007
Posts: 3173
Location: Upstate NY
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sandwhich wrote:


That's the only way I want him starting. If it's just because Sanchez and Garrard don't perform well in pre-season, but smith isn't exactly "hot" either, we're going to be in trouble. We absolutely cannot afford to just throw him into the fire.


Right. Hopefully either Sanchez or Garrard proves to be a serviceable option and/or Geno is lights out and is ready to start.
_________________
“You don’t burn out from going too fast. You burn out from going too slow and getting bored.”

- Cliff Burton
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Raoul Duke


Joined: 01 Mar 2007
Posts: 3173
Location: Upstate NY
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davey wrote:


Protect Geno Smith, give him time to flourish. If that means another year of Sanchez starting I don't mind that.


Or Garrard. Honestly, if Garrard is serviceable, Sanchez needs to show from day 1 that he's taken a big step forward.

Going in to year 5, his ability to read a defense, call a protection correctly, protect the football and to have good pocket presence has to improve. If I don't see it, I'm done giving him the opportunity to find it.
_________________
“You don’t burn out from going too fast. You burn out from going too slow and getting bored.”

- Cliff Burton
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group