Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

LT Bryant McKinnie visiting Dolphins...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bpastermack wrote:
Mercury22 wrote:
bpastermack wrote:
http://sportige.com/nfl-rumors-cleveland-browns-miami-dolphins-pittsburgh-steelers-interested-in-winston-justice-04-2013/

We have met with virtually every Tackle candidate on the market. Its pretty clear the plan is to bring in some competition/depth. Anyone who doesn't view this is a prudent move is high. Even the most ardent J. Martin supporters seem to view the Right side of the line as needing some depth/competition. I don't see anyone on the market that is going to step in and claim the LT spot other than perhaps Fat Albert, but that deal looks dead. Justice is just another guy they are taking a looksie with. Someone should be signed, but my suspicion is that the guy brought in will be viewed, primarily, as a RT depth/competition guy.

My guess at this early stage is that we will regret not bringing in more bodies along the line. Injuries are a part of virtually every season, and depth is not great along our line. Our defense was heavily addressed in the draft and depth no longer seems to be an issue.

Last year I was told about 10 billion times that we were "fine" at WR. We werent and we took care of that this off season. I suspect that unless we bring in more talent/depth, we will be doing the same thing with the offensive line next year. Depth/competition is a rather glaring weakness of our team along the offensive line.

If we bgring in a solid RT like Clabo or Winston, then I personally think we will have more depth than last year, and will have brought in a solid amount of bodies...

Lance Louis is a guy who has lots of starting experience and could even win a starting job.

Winston or Clabo would be instant starters

Thomas, well I appreciate the effort, but I'm not sure I like him personally, but they obviously do.

Plus we brought Garner back.

I would have liked to add one other rookie myself, but when teams are reaching on a guy like Long in the 20's you can't exactly follow suit.

They only go into the season with 8 lineman

Pouncey, Incognito and Martin will be on the roster

That leave 5 spots to be filled including at least a starting guard and tackle.

I would think that Garner, Samuda and Lewis make the team. Garner is a very solid backup that is versatile enough to fill in when needed. Lewis was a free agent signing and Samuda is the only other center going into camp.

The rookie (Thomas) has a strong shot to make the team (I would normally say that a 3rd rounder always makes the roster, but you know, Egnew...)

Pouncey, Incognito, Martin, Lewis, Garner, Thomas, and Samuda...

At this point they can only add one other player (most likely a RT) unless they want to keep someone on the inactive list. That doesn't mean they shouldn't add guys for competitions sake, but someone will end up being the odd man out.

In this scenario Jerry is not on the Final 53 man roster.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ViolentMonk71 wrote:
bpastermack wrote:
Mercury22 wrote:
bpastermack wrote:
http://sportige.com/nfl-rumors-cleveland-browns-miami-dolphins-pittsburgh-steelers-interested-in-winston-justice-04-2013/

We have met with virtually every Tackle candidate on the market. Its pretty clear the plan is to bring in some competition/depth. Anyone who doesn't view this is a prudent move is high. Even the most ardent J. Martin supporters seem to view the Right side of the line as needing some depth/competition. I don't see anyone on the market that is going to step in and claim the LT spot other than perhaps Fat Albert, but that deal looks dead. Justice is just another guy they are taking a looksie with. Someone should be signed, but my suspicion is that the guy brought in will be viewed, primarily, as a RT depth/competition guy.

My guess at this early stage is that we will regret not bringing in more bodies along the line. Injuries are a part of virtually every season, and depth is not great along our line. Our defense was heavily addressed in the draft and depth no longer seems to be an issue.

Last year I was told about 10 billion times that we were "fine" at WR. We werent and we took care of that this off season. I suspect that unless we bring in more talent/depth, we will be doing the same thing with the offensive line next year. Depth/competition is a rather glaring weakness of our team along the offensive line.

If we bgring in a solid RT like Clabo or Winston, then I personally think we will have more depth than last year, and will have brought in a solid amount of bodies...

Lance Louis is a guy who has lots of starting experience and could even win a starting job.

Thomas, well I appreciate the effort, but I'm not sure I like him personally, but they obviously do.

I would have liked to add one other rookie myself, but when teams are reaching on a guy like Long in the 20's you can't exactly follow suit.

I would think that Garner, Samuda and Lewis make the team. Garner is a very solid backup that is versatile enough to fill in when needed. Lewis was a free agent signing and Samuda is the only other center going into camp.

The rookie (Thomas) has a strong shot to make the team (I would normally say that a 3rd rounder always makes the roster, but you know, Egnew...)

At this point they can only add one other player (most likely a RT) unless they want to keep someone on the inactive list. That doesn't mean they shouldn't add guys for competitions sake, but someone will end up being the odd man out.

Don't go to sleep on Yeatman, and if we sign another OT, then that leaves 10 bodies that I think all have the ability to step in and play if needed.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bpastermack wrote:
ViolentMonk71 wrote:
bpastermack wrote:
Mercury22 wrote:
bpastermack wrote:

Don't go to sleep on Yeatman, and if we sign another OT, then that leaves 10 bodies that I think all have the ability to step in and play if needed.

Then who gets left off the 53 man roster? They only go 8 during the season...

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ViolentMonk71 wrote:

Then who gets left off the 53 man roster? They only go 8 during the season...

I would say one of either Louis or Jerry for sure. That's going to be a good camp battle. I think if Louis is healthy though, then he gets the nod. Then maybe one of either Garner and Yeatman?

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not relevant, but still....lineman...

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite being the best LT avail at the moment I just don't see how McKinney would get Philbins stamp of approval.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/2013/05/eric-winston-tyson-clabo-bryant-mckinnie-winston-justice-lets-play-pick-the-offensive-tackle-the-dolphins-have-basi.html

$ 100,000 bar tab ... Winston, Clabo or Justice seems to me will be the probable/logical move.

sug
dolphan9954

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now the OL with a chance to play this season is:

T: Martin, Garner, Yeatman
G: Incognito, Thomas, Jerry, Louis
C: Pouncey, Samuda

Assuming the Dolphins add a vet OT, they would have 10 OL with a chance to play (unless so UDFA makes a push like Samuda did.)

IMO only one of Jerry/Louis make the team, and if Yeatman improves he COULD push both of them off the roster and make Garner an OG.

Phinisher on the Avatar
MDolphins2399 on the sig

Go Canes
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dolphan9954 wrote:

Assuming the Dolphins add a vet OT, they would have 10 OL with a chance to play (unless so UDFA makes a push like Samuda did.)

IMO only one of Jerry/Louis make the team, and if Yeatman improves he COULD push both of them off the roster and make Garner an OG.

I like Samuda a lot....I hope he gets a chance to compete at guard in the future...

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SUG wrote:
Despite being the best LT avail at the moment I just don't see how McKinney would get Philbins stamp of approval.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/2013/05/eric-winston-tyson-clabo-bryant-mckinnie-winston-justice-lets-play-pick-the-offensive-tackle-the-dolphins-have-basi.html

$ 100,000 bar tab ... Winston, Clabo or Justice seems to me will be the probable/logical move.

sug

I've had the Marc Columbo thought too. But the truth is Any of these options on the open market are WORLDS better than Marc Columbo. Yeatman is probably better than Columbo.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dolphan9954 wrote:

That's a very good look at how we sit right now.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bpastermack wrote:
SUG wrote:

sug

I've had the Marc Columbo thought too. But the truth is Any of these options on the open market are WORLDS better than Marc Columbo. Yeatman is probably better than Columbo.

Howdy BMack !
I gotta be honest here ... I know JackDiddly & next to nothing about Yateman.

Not a clue.
sug
bpastermack

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SUG wrote:
bpastermack wrote:
SUG wrote:

sug

Howdy BMack !
I gotta be honest here ... I know JackDiddly & next to nothing about Yateman.

Not a clue.
sug

My Grandma is a better RT than Columbo was. Is that better? And she isn't even alive anymore.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cross him off the list. He just resigned in Balt. for 2 years.

^^^packerbacker87, mad props yo.
"
This is America, the land of individualism, civil
disobedience and footballs that dont roll like the rest of the world wants them to"
WaterBear56

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't think he was a fit so I'm glad. Would much prefer Winston or Clabo. Hopefully we make a decision today before another resigns.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: