Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Will Matt Flynn raise the Raiders?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carolinapacker1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:48 pm    Post subject: Will Matt Flynn raise the Raiders? Reply with quote

I found out he's on their team now, and I think that's a good move by them to get a young guy who's learned a thing or two from playing behind Rodgers and if they want to move forward and resurrect the team, I think he's the right man for it.

I guess my question would be whether or not he's shown himself to be a versatile QB, meaning able to thrive under anybody's system or with even less talent to throw to than he had here in Green Bay, or if it came more from being groomed in McCarthy's system.
Pack4life7

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnson and Peterson are both once in a generation players but Peterson is better.

Waldo wrote:

Enter Waldo

Same Old Jay
Kal-El

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oakland has a lot of raw talent, they just need discipline. I think Matt Flynn gives them some stability on offense, which will be very valuable.

Not a very competitive division we're talking about, either.

Lorde <33333333
Beast

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Al Davis would of brought in Flynn as he doesn't have very good arm strength to get the ball deep and that is a weakness for him IMO.

That being said if a coach can work a scheme around that (which many have in the past for other QBs including the west coach offense) he should be able to do a pretty good job IF he's got protection / alright talent around him. Which I don't follow the Raiders enough to say they have that or not.

I see Flynn ceiling to be that of like Jeff Garcia... nether will ever have the strongest arms but both do a ton of the small things correct.
NCPackFan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal-El wrote:
Oakland has a lot of raw talent, they just need discipline. I think Matt Flynn gives them some stability on offense, which will be very valuable.

Not a very competitive division we're talking about, either.

+1. I think this situation for Flynn is much better than the chance he had in Seattle. He's with a front office he's familiar with, he doesn't have to be the stud QB and while some question his arm strength, I don't think it'll matter. Oakland needs to go conservative and use McFadden to their advantage rather than solely rely on him. I'm looking at that roster and they have some decent potential young talent but they seem to have a bit of a hole at Guard and one could argue they need a massive upgrade at WR. Still, their core group is one that can win them a few games and build on the future.
carolinapacker1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Oakland is a heavy McFadden using team as it is, I don't expect their run philosophy to change. Players like Heyward-Bey, Schillins (think he's still there), and a few others that the Raiders have will benefit from Flynn.

As to the division not being competitive, I would say it's probably the Broncos' to lose sure, but I'd expect the chargers will have a lot of changes because don't forget they kicked out AJ Smith who was wrecking the franchise as well as Norv, so I'm expecting some real changes to happen for them this year as well and a better year for Rivers instead of just staying in the land of stagnation. Only team I really don't see going anywhere anytime soon is the chiefs. But I think the division overall other than KC is gonna see some much better QBing.
ChaRisMa

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oakland is my 2nd favorite team right now. But anyone that says its full of raw talent doesn't understand that team. It's pretty much this years draft class surrounded by players that won't be there within the next two years. Big Reg got the worst roster in the league, the worst I've ever seen from a future standpoint.
blankman0021

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beast wrote:
I don't think Al Davis would of brought in Flynn as he doesn't have very good arm strength to get the ball deep and that is a weakness for him IMO.

That being said if a coach can work a scheme around that (which many have in the past for other QBs including the west coach offense) he should be able to do a pretty good job IF he's got protection / alright talent around him. Which I don't follow the Raiders enough to say they have that or not.

I see Flynn ceiling to be that of like Jeff Garcia... nether will ever have the strongest arms but both do a ton of the small things correct.

I feel like his ceiling is higher than Garcias. Flynn had the best statistical game in packer history (arguably). Now, he's not the best QB in Pack history- but he does have some upside. I hope he is the starter- I'd love to see him prosper out there.

The Doctor wrote:
ALLONS-Y, ALONSO!
rbens06

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carolinapacker1 wrote:
Well, Oakland is a heavy McFadden using team as it is, I don't expect their run philosophy to change. Players like Heyward-Bey, Schillins (think he's still there), and a few others that the Raiders have will benefit from Flynn.

Both of these guys are gone, but I agree that the receivers will benefit from having a guy like Flynn compared to Pryor or even Wilson. Palmer helped out the receivers somewhat and I would expect that to at least stay the same if not improve with Flynn.
rbens06

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChaRisMa wrote:
Oakland is my 2nd favorite team right now. But anyone that says its full of raw talent doesn't understand that team. It's pretty much this years draft class surrounded by players that won't be there within the next two years. Big Reg got the worst roster in the league, the worst I've ever seen from a future standpoint.

Agree completely with that, which I think is going to be very unfortunate for Flynn. Odds are the Raiders have a bad, or very bad record this year and are in the running for the top pick. If that is the case a guy like Teddy Bridgewater could be staring them in the face during the draft. My guess is McKenzie and Allen will want to get their quarterback to build around. Maybe that guy is Flynn and he plays himself into the franchise guy, but history shows that new regimes typically means new quarterbacks. Palmer was owed way too much money for his level of play and was traded out. That did not leave the Raiders with many viable options at quarterback, so they got Flynn, who realistically might just be a stop gap guy until next years draft. He is someone that can keep the team competitive.
ChaRisMa

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see Flynn's ceiling [inappropriate/removed] Matt Hasselbeck. And his floor is Trent Dilfer. But I see Arkansas' Tyler Wilson being a great QB there.
rbens06

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChaRisMa wrote:
I see Flynn's ceiling [inappropriate/removed] Matt Hasselbeck. And his floor is Trent Dilfer. But I see Arkansas' Tyler Wilson being a great QB there.

I think that is pretty fair for Flynn. I think that McKenzie is implementing a good plan there, but it will just take time and I do not know if Wilson will be able to see it to the end. Unfortunately for quarterbacks and head coaches if the team does not show signs of progress those are the two that get turned over the most.
gizmo2012

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbens06 wrote:
ChaRisMa wrote:

I think that is pretty fair for Flynn. I think that McKenzie is implementing a good plan there, but it will just take time and I do not know if Wilson will be able to see it to the end. Unfortunately for quarterbacks and head coaches if the team does not show signs of progress those are the two that get turned over the most.

Matt Flynn is a dramatic improvement over what the Raiders have had to work with at QB over many years, but he is still just a middle of the pack QB. I don't think a rookie will beat him out this year and I think he will be perform respectable if the Raiders allow him to play within his talent level.
rbens06

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gizmo2012 wrote:
rbens06 wrote:
ChaRisMa wrote:

Matt Flynn is a dramatic improvement over what the Raiders have had to work with at QB over many years, but he is still just a middle of the pack QB. I don't think a rookie will beat him out this year and I think he will be perform respectable if the Raiders allow him to play within his talent level.

I think that fits right in line with what Charisma was saying, Matt Hasselbeck was right around the middle of the pack and Dilfer may not have been a flashy guy, but did a good job managing games. I agree that it might be hard pressed for Wilson to beat Flynn out as a rookie, but seeing both have had similar time in the playbook, I do not think it is that far off. Flynn has the advantage of being up to NFL speed and should be more prepared to step in than Wilson. I just am not sold that the Raiders have enough talent to allow Flynn to get wins, which without wins he probably gets put on the hot seat.
ChaRisMa

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just think Flynn is there for two years, with Tyler Wilson being the heir. All reports are Wilson is ahead of expectations. But Flynn will drastically help them figure out what is actually around him. You look at so many bad teams and say, is the QB the problem? Or is it the WRs? OL? If Flynn is going down a lot, they'll have tape that shows what's really wrong. He and Wisniewski, their Center, will straighten out what their real needs are.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: