Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2013 NHL Offseason Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 34, 35, 36  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Other Sports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eggybucsfan31

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the Atlantic division (+ CAR, WAS, CLB) is now the Metropolitan division and the Northeast division (+ DET, FLA, TB) is now the Atlantic..... What?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eggybucsfan31 wrote:
So the Atlantic division (+ CAR, WAS, CLB) is now the Metropolitan division and the Northeast division (+ DET, FLA, TB) is now the Atlantic..... What?
I saw the division names without knowing which teams were in which one, I was praying that the Northeast+DET/FLA/TB wasn't the Metropolitan because I don't want the Bruins to be in the division known as the Metro division Laughing

And yes, Tavares has one of the, if not the most, team-friendly deal in the NHL. 6/$33M I believe, signed almost two years ago. He'd get closer to $10M/year than $5.5M/year on the open market.

Bruins // Patriots // Red Sox // Chelsea
#JDI
RollEagles

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metropolitan Division

Laughing Laughing Laughing

What a terrible name.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jagr is seriously the biggest money grubbing whore the game has ever seen.

Love him but it is so true.
"There are stories of coincidence and chance, of intersections and strange things told, and which is which and who only knows; and the book says we may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us."
1BackInBlackFan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BirdsFan06050 wrote:

Without a doubt.

^^The only QB in history with 6 TD passes in B2B games plus two 500 yard games. Props to UniversalAuthor for Big Ben's sig!
steelcurtain29

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jagr is probably still trying to pay off his ridiculous gambling debt....

Anywho - the five teams that made up the Atlantic Division before this new merger... are not even in the new Atlantic Division. As a matter of fact, 6 teams that were at one point in the Atlantic Division are now in a division together; but still don't make up the new Atlantic Division.

Is Bettman that dumb?
BLick12

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1BackInBlackFan wrote:
BirdsFan06050 wrote:

Without a doubt.

1 year $2M deal with $2M if he plays enough games in bonuses, in New Jersey of all places says otherwise.

Puzzling and head scratching, definitely. But money grubbing, I'd have to say, no.

Another Ginger QB in the AFC North.

Looking forward to the "No Soul Bowl" twice a year
playmaker8267

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was bored and Reddit had an interesting thread relating to the Olympic rosters being announced. If Ontario suddenly became its own country, who would make the team and how would they fare against the rest of Canada? I included intangibles (chemistry, mental toughness) in my schemata for the lineups. I used NHL.com as my basis for who belongs on which team, i.e. Patrick Sharp is on the Rest-of-Canada team even though he played his youth hockey in Thunder Bay, ONT. If NHL.com has him in Winnipeg, then he's not on the Ontario team.

Team Ontario

C. Giroux - S. Stamkos - R. Nash
J. Neal - J. Tavares - J. Carter
M. Duchene - L. Couture - C. Perry
J. Staal - M. Richards - E. Staal
(D. Clarkson, J. Thornton, R. O'Reilly)

D. Doughty - A. Pietrangelo
P. Subban - D. Girardi
D. Boyle - M. Staal
(B. Burns, B. Campbell)

M. Smith
B. Elliott
(R. Emery)

Notable other Ontario players: N. Kadri, M. Moulson, J. Spezza, W. Simmonds, K. Bieksa, M. Methot, S. Mason

Team Canada

C. Kunitz - S. Crosby - M. St. Louis
A. Ladd - J. Toews - T. Hall
J. Benn - R. Getzlaf - J. Eberle
S. Doan - P. Bergeron - P. Sharp
(J. Iginla, M. Lucic, B. Gallagher)

D. Keith - S. Weber
K. Letang - J. Bouwmeester
B. Seabrook - D. Phaneuf
(M. Vlasic, M. Green)

C. Crawford
C. Price
(R. Luongo)

Notable other Canada players: B. Marchand, K. Alzner, T. Hamonic, D. Hamhuis, B. Holtby

Ontario has an amazing blend of size and skill up front, and exceptional mobility at the back end. However, with that top six, you have to worry about being scored on. Also, Doughty and Subban get burned on bad pinches from time to time.

Canada has some great defensive forwards, but that's not as good a group from a skating perspective as Ontario's. Pretty good defensive core. I honestly rate them on par with Ontario's. I give Ontario a slight advantage in net based on starters, but Canada has much deeper goaltending.

I think Ontario does better than Canada in the Olympics, but they would probably meet in the gold medal game. If there was a series format, the series would go 7.

What do you think?

Bruins // Patriots // Red Sox // Chelsea
#JDI
UofMfan909

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ontario would take gold. i would replace richards with spezza (such a ridiculously underrated player for his entire career), and absolutely make room for kadri and simmonds (dump clarkson in a heartbeat for simmonds, by 2014 there's a good chance i switch thornton for kadri as well).. but yeah, they're loaded.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Ontario sure would push for the gold.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bubba4gbp wrote:
http://washpost.bloomberg.com/Story?docId=1376-MPZOF16TTDVH01-4JP1FK7VOBAE80ALNQDKIUG97F

Maple Leafs are already planning their victory parade. A little premature? They must fancy David Clarkson a God.

David Clarkson's overpayment reminds me of when the the Rangers way overpaid for Bobby Holik. Holik like Clarkson was a 20ish goal/year scorer, 100 PIM, defensive guy who continued to be what he was but was criticized for not being better. Seems like that will happen to Clarkson, plays like a solid 2nd-3rd liner but is paid like a first.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fracdaddy14 wrote:
Bubba4gbp wrote:
http://washpost.bloomberg.com/Story?docId=1376-MPZOF16TTDVH01-4JP1FK7VOBAE80ALNQDKIUG97F

Maple Leafs are already planning their victory parade. A little premature? They must fancy David Clarkson a God.

David Clarkson's overpayment reminds me of when the the Rangers way overpaid for Bobby Holik. Holik like Clarkson was a 20ish goal/year scorer, 100 PIM, defensive guy who continued to be what he was but was criticized for not being better. Seems like that will happen to Clarkson, plays like a solid 2nd-3rd liner but is paid like a first.

As a Leaf fan, I agree. Some Leaf fans now seem to expect a perennial 30ish goal star, and everyone else says he blows and is terrible and is the worst signing ever...etc. I think he'll be who he is, somewhere in the middle. He'll go to the net, he'll play physical, and provide some grit on our 2nd line while scoring about 20 goals. I don't mind that at all, but the contract was a bit much.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clarkson is a great third liner and a solid second liner. leafs fans are going to expect him to be more and i think he's going to get destroyed by the media rather quickly there. he certainly was overpaid.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

playmaker8267 wrote:
eggybucsfan31 wrote:
I saw the division names without knowing which teams were in which one, I was praying that the Northeast+DET/FLA/TB wasn't the Metropolitan because I don't want the Bruins to be in the division known as the Metro division Laughing

And yes, Tavares has one of the, if not the most, team-friendly deal in the NHL. 6/$33M I believe, signed almost two years ago. He'd get closer to $10M/year than $5.5M/year on the open market.

It means he is committed 100% to LI, and the franchise's direction reinforces his faith.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLick12 wrote:
1BackInBlackFan wrote:
BirdsFan06050 wrote:

Without a doubt.

1 year $2M deal with $2M if he plays enough games in bonuses, in New Jersey of all places says otherwise.

Puzzling and head scratching, definitely. But money grubbing, I'd have to say, no.

This was easily the best offer he received. He wouldn't have gone to Jersey otherwise.

I think he still has gambling debts as well to be honest with you.
"There are stories of coincidence and chance, of intersections and strange things told, and which is which and who only knows; and the book says we may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us."

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Other Sports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 34, 35, 36  Next
Page 22 of 36

Jump to: