Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Pre-Training Camp Thoughts
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Spartan300


Joined: 08 Jan 2012
Posts: 639
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Pre-Training Camp Thoughts Reply with quote

With camp almost underway I thought I would share some thoughts and concerns on this upcoming season. Most of it is really common sense Bengal stuff but I just want to try to generate some discussion.

1) HUGE year for Dalton. Year 3 in the NFL with a couple new weapons. After two consecutive playoff appearances, he has to win a playoff game this year. Normally I think putting team goals on just one individual player is unfair but there are no excuses this year. Cleveland is Cleveland, Pittsburgh is old, and Baltimore lost a ton from last year. With that being said....

2) Make or break year for Marvin. He's been here 10 years and has yet to deliver a playoff win. I've defended him for years but after the last two showings against the Texans in the playoffs I truly feel he isn't the guy to take us to the next level. How many coaches would last ten years like that? Gruden needs to have a good year too. Last years game plan against the Texans was idiotic. I can't wait to see how Gruden utilizes Eifert.

3) Dre Kirkpatrick needs to get healthy and contribute. The front 4 have done a great job covering up the woes of the secondary. If Kirkpatrick can get cleared and play like he did at Alabama, the defense can be special. This is the difference between a top 10 defense and maybe a top 3/5. That being said, I'm not expecting much out of him.... Other young players need to step up too. Mainly I would love to see some things out of Devon Still this year now that Sims is gone. Eventually I would like to see him maybe even replace Peko (I might be in the minority here but I really don't like Peko as a player).

4) O-Line continuity. Smith is one of the best RT in the league, Zeitler had a solid rookie year but has room to grow. Whitworth has always been a solid LT though I think his play has declined recently. The center competition should be fun to watch play out, and Boling needs to find more consistency. The offense will only go only as far as the o-line takes them. I'm also interested to see how the backups do like Fragel and Hawkinson.

5) Contract years. I'm expecting a huge year out of MJ just because he is in the final year of his deal. Geno needs to get paid asap. This d-line will be special. I just hope Dunlap doesn't get complacent.

6) Linebackers. I like this group against the run but they cannot cover to save their life. Luckily Zimmer does a great job game planning around this as best he can. Unfortunately I don't think he will be here after this year.


Looking at the schedule, I am very optimistic about this season. I see us going 12-4 and at worst 11-5. I think we win a few playoff games but I still think we are a few pieces away from being a Super Bowl caliber team. Then again, if the Bengals get hot at the right time, anything is possible. Who Dey!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MrCincinnati


Joined: 10 Jul 2013
Posts: 978
Location: Hamilton, OH
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty well said on that post, so Ill just give my take on the position battles, whos safe, whos not, and who makes it.....

#2WR: Mohamed Sanu vs Marvin Jones- Sanu should have this locked up. He was on a roll till he got hurt. Jones gets bumped down to #4 because hawkins is #3

C: Kyle Cook vs Trevor Robinson- I hope Cook wins honestly. He was very good till he got injured last year. Didnt play great but he was rusty. This year he shouldnt. Robinson can play OG as well, so he would more valueable as a backup incase Boling or Zeitler got hurt

CB: Terence Newman vs Dre Kirkpatrick- I do feel comfortable with Newman, however Kirkpatrick was drafted for a reason, so they gotta at least give him a shot. Newman should be able to win, bumping Kirkpatrick as the #4 and letting him develop slowly

SS: Shawn Williams vs Taylor Mays vs George Lloka vs Jeromy Miles- If Mays or Miles starts its not gonna be pretty. Lloka had 2nd round potential last year so he need to have a shot. Hard to believe a 3rd round rookie is the favorite but he is, so I think Williams will win the job.

-------------------

Whos safe to make the roster?

QB: Andy Dalton

RB: BenJarvus Green-Ellis, Giovani Bernard

WR: A.J Green, Mohamed Sanu, Andrew Hawkins, Marvin Jones

TE: Jermaine Gresham, Tyler Eifert

OT: Andrew Whitworth, Andre Smith, Anthony Collins

OG: Clint Boling, Kevin Zeitler

C: Kyle Cook, Trevor Robinson

DE: Michael Johnson, Carlos Dunlap, Wallace Gilberry, Robert Geathers, Margus Hunt

DT: Geno Atkins, Domata Peko, Devon Still, Brandon Thompson

OLB: James Harrison, Vontaze Burfict, Emmanuel Lamur, Sean Porter

ILB: Rey Maualuga

CB: Leon Hall, Terence Newman, Adam Jones, Dre Kirkpatrick

S: Reggie Nelson, Shawn Williams

K: Mike Nugent

P: Kevin Huber

LS: Clark Harris

(Not sure if I'm forgetting anyone)

Therfore the number of spots open at each position are:

QB:1
RB:2
FB:Maybe 1
WR:2
TE:1
OL:2
DL:None
LB:2 (or 1)
CB:2
S:2

This is all assuming that injuries dont pile up

--------------

My Projection right now on the 53 man roster (starters are in bold)

QB: Andy Dalton, Josh Johnson
RB: BenJarvus Green-Ellis, Giovani Bernard, Cedric Peerman, Rex Burkhead
H/B: Orson Charles
WR: A.J Green, Mohamed Sanu, Marvin Jones, Andrew Hawkins, Cobi Hamilton, Ryan Whalem
TE: Jermaine Gresham, Tyler Eifert
OT: Andrew Whitworth, Andre Smith, Anthony Collins, Tanner Hawkinson, Reid Fragel
OG: Clint Boling, Kevin Zeitler (Robinson can be a backup OG if someone gets hurt here)
C: Kyle Cook, Trevor Robinson

DE: Michael Johnson, Carlos Dunlap, Robert Geathers, Wallace Gilberry, Margus Hunt
DT: Geno Atkins, Domata Peko, Brandon Thompson, Devon Still
OLB: Vontaze Burfict, James Harrison, Emmanuel Lamur, Sean Porter, Brandon Joiner, Jayson Dimanche
MLB: Rey Maualuga (Burfict can be the backup ILB if Maualuga gets hurt)
CB: Leon Hall, Terence Newman, Adam Jones, Dre Kirkpatrick, Brandon Ghee, Onterio McCalebb (Jones can be the PR and I think McCalebb will be the KR)
S: Reggie Nelson, Shawn Williams, Taylor Mays, George Lloka

K: Mike Nugent
P: Kevin Huber
LS: Clark Harris

Im not an expert when it comes to finding out if a player is eligible for the Practice Squad, but heres what I got

PRACTICE SQUAD:
RB: Dan Herron
WR: Roy Roundtree
OG: John Sullen
C: T.J Johnson
DE: Dontay Moch
OLB: Bruce Taylor
MLB: Jordon Campbell
CB: Shaun Prater

THE CUTS:
QB: John Skelton, Zac Robinson
RB: Bernard Scott
FB: Chris Pressley, John Conner
WR: Brandon Tate, Dane Sandenbacher, Taveon Rodgers, Tyrone Goard
TE: Alex Smith, Richard Quinn
OT: Dennis Roland
OG: Mike Pollack
C: N/A

DE: Dequin Evans
DT: Larry Black, Terrence Stephens
OLB: Aaron Maybin, Vincent Rey
MLB: J.K Schaffer
CB: Chris Lewis Harris, Troy Stoudermire, Terrence Brown
S: Jeromy Miles, Tony Dye

K: Quinn Sharp
P: N/A
LS: Bryce Davis
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ochocinco4pres


Joined: 04 Apr 2007
Posts: 23466
Location: Indianapolis Indiana
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are alot of things I am interested in. I keep hearing good things about Lamur and Ghee. Ghee has always intrigued me but never been healthy. I don't know about Lamur. It seems some people are very high on him, but I haven't seen anything to stand out.

I also want to see Rex Burkhead make this team. I am a huge fan of his and would love him to replace Leonard. The key to this offense besides Dalton is utilizing the talent at TE. We hope either Sanu or jones steps up as a #2 but if we can use Eiffert and Gresham well we would be good.

I don't expect much out of Kirkpatrick this year and that disappoints me. I just don't see him healthy enough to pass the vets for playing time.
_________________


Big thanks to kacymcbryant18 for the sig....^^
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LondonBengal


Joined: 07 Feb 2010
Posts: 3433
Location: London, England, UK
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrCincinnati wrote:
#2WR: Mohamed Sanu vs Marvin Jones- Sanu should have this locked up.
I know Gruden wants the flexibility to line his receivers up anyplace, and Sanu could have a coming out type of year, but surely he is more of a slot guy, Jones has the outside speed ?

How about Hamilton as an outside shot to become #2 ?
_________________
" Democracy is a system where two idiots can out-vote a genius..........."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
LondonBengal


Joined: 07 Feb 2010
Posts: 3433
Location: London, England, UK
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ochocinco4pres wrote:
There are alot of things I am interested in.

Last year 3 UDFA's made the team; (Burfict, Lamur, Robinson).

This year there are 12 UDFA's in camp, and I've just been checking thru scouting reports to see if there are any clues to who might have a shot this year.

The names that keep coming up are CB Troy Stoudermire and LB Jayson DiManche.

Anyone like anyone else ?
_________________
" Democracy is a system where two idiots can out-vote a genius..........."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Spartan300


Joined: 08 Jan 2012
Posts: 639
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LondonBengal wrote:
ochocinco4pres wrote:
There are alot of things I am interested in.

Last year 3 UDFA's made the team; (Burfict, Lamur, Robinson).

This year there are 12 UDFA's in camp, and I've just been checking thru scouting reports to see if there are any clues to who might have a shot this year.

The names that keep coming up are CB Troy Stoudermire and LB Jayson DiManche.

Anyone like anyone else ?


I really like what Onterio McCalebb brings to the table. He could bring a lot of value to special teams with his speed and versatility. I also would prefer Tate not to make the team.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ochocinco4pres


Joined: 04 Apr 2007
Posts: 23466
Location: Indianapolis Indiana
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spartan300 wrote:
LondonBengal wrote:
ochocinco4pres wrote:
There are alot of things I am interested in.

Last year 3 UDFA's made the team; (Burfict, Lamur, Robinson).

This year there are 12 UDFA's in camp, and I've just been checking thru scouting reports to see if there are any clues to who might have a shot this year.

The names that keep coming up are CB Troy Stoudermire and LB Jayson DiManche.

Anyone like anyone else ?


I really like what Onterio McCalebb brings to the table. He could bring a lot of value to special teams with his speed and versatility. I also would prefer Tate not to make the team.


He is interesting to me. he would be listed as a CB.
_________________


Big thanks to kacymcbryant18 for the sig....^^
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
theJ


Moderator
Joined: 20 Mar 2005
Posts: 19074
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ochocinco4pres wrote:
Spartan300 wrote:
LondonBengal wrote:
ochocinco4pres wrote:
There are alot of things I am interested in.

Last year 3 UDFA's made the team; (Burfict, Lamur, Robinson).

This year there are 12 UDFA's in camp, and I've just been checking thru scouting reports to see if there are any clues to who might have a shot this year.

The names that keep coming up are CB Troy Stoudermire and LB Jayson DiManche.

Anyone like anyone else ?


I really like what Onterio McCalebb brings to the table. He could bring a lot of value to special teams with his speed and versatility. I also would prefer Tate not to make the team.


He is interesting to me. he would be listed as a CB.

He's as much of a corner as Tate is a WR, haha. I'll be interested to see how he does in preseason. It's going to take a lot to unseat Tate, whether we like it or not. If he fumbles or muffs any returns, he's out.
_________________


Don't follow your passion, take your passion with you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MrCincinnati


Joined: 10 Jul 2013
Posts: 978
Location: Hamilton, OH
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LondonBengal wrote:
MrCincinnati wrote:
#2WR: Mohamed Sanu vs Marvin Jones- Sanu should have this locked up.
I know Gruden wants the flexibility to line his receivers up anyplace, and Sanu could have a coming out type of year, but surely he is more of a slot guy, Jones has the outside speed ?

How about Hamilton as an outside shot to become #2 ?


Well Sanu is better at catching the ball and he played well in just 2 starts last year. Hawkins is obviously gonna be the main slot guy

Im sure Sanu and Jones will both get time at the #2, but mainly Sanu

Hamilton I dont expect much out of him this year. Right now he has to make the roster first to fight off guys like Whalem and Tate. My assumption is He and Whalem make the final 2 spots at WR. But the Bengals elect to go with 5 WR's on regular gamedays, while deactivating one of there 6 WR's. Whalem has been reliable when catching the ball, so i think he will get the nod over Hamilton this year on gamedays
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MrCincinnati


Joined: 10 Jul 2013
Posts: 978
Location: Hamilton, OH
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LondonBengal wrote:
ochocinco4pres wrote:
There are alot of things I am interested in.

Last year 3 UDFA's made the team; (Burfict, Lamur, Robinson).

This year there are 12 UDFA's in camp, and I've just been checking thru scouting reports to see if there are any clues to who might have a shot this year.

The names that keep coming up are CB Troy Stoudermire and LB Jayson DiManche.

Anyone like anyone else ?


I agree with you on Dimanche. The bengals seem to do a good job on finding undrafted LB gems. He will be fighting for one of those 2 final LB spots with guys like Joiner, Rey, and Maybin though. Rey is more proven, but I think he can beat him out

Not hearing alot on Stoudermire. If he makes it, it will be because Tate gets cut and hes put in as a KR. And at the moment, I still like McCalebb as that main KR. Even though the odds are clearly in Tate's favor because hes battling undrafted rookies, I really hope one of those 2 guys can get it done.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
INbengalfan


Joined: 21 Jan 2006
Posts: 5671
Location: Richmond, IN
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrCincinnati wrote:
LondonBengal wrote:
MrCincinnati wrote:
#2WR: Mohamed Sanu vs Marvin Jones- Sanu should have this locked up.
I know Gruden wants the flexibility to line his receivers up anyplace, and Sanu could have a coming out type of year, but surely he is more of a slot guy, Jones has the outside speed ?

How about Hamilton as an outside shot to become #2 ?


Well Sanu is better at catching the ball and he played well in just 2 starts last year. Hawkins is obviously gonna be the main slot guy

Im sure Sanu and Jones will both get time at the #2, but mainly Sanu

Hamilton I dont expect much out of him this year. Right now he has to make the roster first to fight off guys like Whalem and Tate. My assumption is He and Whalem make the final 2 spots at WR. But the Bengals elect to go with 5 WR's on regular gamedays, while deactivating one of there 6 WR's. Whalem has been reliable when catching the ball, so i think he will get the nod over Hamilton this year on gamedays


I see it playing out as AJ and Jones on the outside with Sanu or hawkins in the slot, or both. I don't see Whalen making it either. The fifth and last spot goes to Hamilton. tate or McCalleb will make it as a returner, regardless of position tied to their name.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MrCincinnati


Joined: 10 Jul 2013
Posts: 978
Location: Hamilton, OH
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

INbengalfan wrote:
MrCincinnati wrote:
LondonBengal wrote:
MrCincinnati wrote:
#2WR: Mohamed Sanu vs Marvin Jones- Sanu should have this locked up.
I know Gruden wants the flexibility to line his receivers up anyplace, and Sanu could have a coming out type of year, but surely he is more of a slot guy, Jones has the outside speed ?

How about Hamilton as an outside shot to become #2 ?


Well Sanu is better at catching the ball and he played well in just 2 starts last year. Hawkins is obviously gonna be the main slot guy

Im sure Sanu and Jones will both get time at the #2, but mainly Sanu

Hamilton I dont expect much out of him this year. Right now he has to make the roster first to fight off guys like Whalem and Tate. My assumption is He and Whalem make the final 2 spots at WR. But the Bengals elect to go with 5 WR's on regular gamedays, while deactivating one of there 6 WR's. Whalem has been reliable when catching the ball, so i think he will get the nod over Hamilton this year on gamedays


I see it playing out as AJ and Jones on the outside with Sanu or hawkins in the slot, or both. I don't see Whalen making it either. The fifth and last spot goes to Hamilton. tate or McCalleb will make it as a returner, regardless of position tied to their name.


I Seriously Doubt the bengals are gonna settle with just 5 WR's on the final roster. Last year they even with with 7, but 6 is the number they will go with. Even if Tate is on there just to be the 6th, if they dont want him, it wont mean they will settle with just 5. The depth is too great there to make it only 5 guys

Both Tate and McCalebb wont make it either IMO. If Tate makes it, McCalebb wont and they will go with a different CB. If McCalebb makes it, then someone else will replace Tate as the 6th WR. All I know is I'm pulling for anybody to unseat Tate
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
INbengalfan


Joined: 21 Jan 2006
Posts: 5671
Location: Richmond, IN
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrCincinnati wrote:
INbengalfan wrote:
I see it playing out as AJ and Jones on the outside with Sanu or hawkins in the slot, or both. I don't see Whalen making it either. The fifth and last spot goes to Hamilton. tate or McCalleb will make it as a returner, regardless of position tied to their name.


I Seriously Doubt the bengals are gonna settle with just 5 WR's on the final roster. Last year they even with with 7, but 6 is the number they will go with. Even if Tate is on there just to be the 6th, if they dont want him, it wont mean they will settle with just 5. The depth is too great there to make it only 5 guys

Both Tate and McCalebb wont make it either IMO. If Tate makes it, McCalebb wont and they will go with a different CB. If McCalebb makes it, then someone else will replace Tate as the 6th WR. All I know is I'm pulling for anybody to unseat Tate


I get what you are saying, but this isn't just a WR depth issue. This team is deep at almost every position. They can't keep them all. If the team is serious in trying to keep 4 TEs (I'm counting Charles there even though he is listed at FB) who goes when Pressley is ready? See, I think Eiffert will be a de facto WR, so consider him the 6th. Hamilton has done far more in the SEC than Whalen has in his life. hamilton may also return kicks, and if that happens, maybe tate goes and Whalen stays.

I also don't count McCalebb as a true CB. Counting him in that pool is as useful as counting the long snapper in the LB count.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ochocinco4pres


Joined: 04 Apr 2007
Posts: 23466
Location: Indianapolis Indiana
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

INbengalfan wrote:
MrCincinnati wrote:
INbengalfan wrote:
I see it playing out as AJ and Jones on the outside with Sanu or hawkins in the slot, or both. I don't see Whalen making it either. The fifth and last spot goes to Hamilton. tate or McCalleb will make it as a returner, regardless of position tied to their name.


I Seriously Doubt the bengals are gonna settle with just 5 WR's on the final roster. Last year they even with with 7, but 6 is the number they will go with. Even if Tate is on there just to be the 6th, if they dont want him, it wont mean they will settle with just 5. The depth is too great there to make it only 5 guys

Both Tate and McCalebb wont make it either IMO. If Tate makes it, McCalebb wont and they will go with a different CB. If McCalebb makes it, then someone else will replace Tate as the 6th WR. All I know is I'm pulling for anybody to unseat Tate


I get what you are saying, but this isn't just a WR depth issue. This team is deep at almost every position. They can't keep them all. If the team is serious in trying to keep 4 TEs (I'm counting Charles there even though he is listed at FB) who goes when Pressley is ready? See, I think Eiffert will be a de facto WR, so consider him the 6th. Hamilton has done far more in the SEC than Whalen has in his life. hamilton may also return kicks, and if that happens, maybe tate goes and Whalen stays.

I also don't count McCalebb as a true CB. Counting him in that pool is as useful as counting the long snapper in the LB count.


I see the WR's as

Green
Sanu
Jones
Hawkins
Whalen
Hamilton
_________________


Big thanks to kacymcbryant18 for the sig....^^
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RedGreenShow


Joined: 06 Feb 2012
Posts: 1674
Location: Nati
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't say this anywhere else but if all goes well we could quietly be a superbowl team. All the pieces are in place, we just have to show ANYTHING on offence and we can be a legitimate contender.

Also some things to note:
- Kirkpatrick won't see the field very often but i can see us eventually working him in with Newman a couple weeks in.
- Shawn Williams wins the SS gig.
- Gio Bernard will likely never 'start' this year but will surpass BJGE in touches in many games.
_________________
[quote="YoursTruly"]He doesn't get the ball because he is shut down. Zero seperation. It is my understanding that Elite WR should be able to do this when their number is called. AJ gets shut down relatively easy.[/quote]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group