Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

So I decided that our DL is going to be beastly.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kethnaab

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelProven wrote:
CKSteeler wrote:
He was a great athlete who was drafted very young. Dumb wasn't something I remember from the pre-draft reports, and I'm not sure I would say that now. He was a bit raw. Maybe the Steelers don't want to mess with a good thing or move him to a new position, but the word on him has always been that he's quiet. They have never trusted him to make calls on defense. Watching him, he doesn't look like the most instinctual player. They kept Farrior for a while, and last year gave him his old job.

To me, that says they don't want trust Timmons in that role. Whether personality or intelligence, he doesn't have it.

Williams showed he is vocal and has attitude.

I wouldn't say that necessarily, because Ryan Clark makes the secondary calls not Troy.

Ryan Clark is outspoken and has attitude. Not sure what you're disagreeing with?
SteelProven

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kethnaab wrote:
SteelProven wrote:
CKSteeler wrote:
He was a great athlete who was drafted very young. Dumb wasn't something I remember from the pre-draft reports, and I'm not sure I would say that now. He was a bit raw. Maybe the Steelers don't want to mess with a good thing or move him to a new position, but the word on him has always been that he's quiet. They have never trusted him to make calls on defense. Watching him, he doesn't look like the most instinctual player. They kept Farrior for a while, and last year gave him his old job.

To me, that says they don't want trust Timmons in that role. Whether personality or intelligence, he doesn't have it.

I wouldn't say that necessarily, because Ryan Clark makes the secondary calls not Troy.

Ryan Clark is outspoken and has attitude. Not sure what you're disagreeing with?

I'm disagreeing with the fact that since Timmons isn't outspoken he being label as slow. But the reality is that the position he plays matching his skill set and just because he doesn't call plays doesn't mean he can't

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelProven wrote:
kethnaab wrote:
SteelProven wrote:
CKSteeler wrote:

I'm disagreeing with the fact that since Timmons isn't outspoken he being label as slow. But the reality is that the position he plays matching his skill set and just because he doesn't call plays doesn't mean he can't

it is probably a matter of him not being as good at reading the offense and being able to call audibles on the fly basically
SteelProven

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kethnaab wrote:
SteelProven wrote:
kethnaab wrote:
SteelProven wrote:
CKSteeler wrote:

it is probably a matter of him not being as good at reading the offense and being able to call audibles on the fly basically

Honestly it doesn't really matter. As long as Timmons continues to become a better playmaker I don't care if he becomes a mime.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, it does matter because his inability to call the defnesive signals means we have to spend 3 years training up another guy to take Larry Foote's place for our War and Peace defensive scheme
jebrick

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kethnaab wrote:
well, it does matter because his inability to call the defnesive signals means we have to spend 3 years training up another guy to take Larry Foote's place for our War and Peace defensive scheme

It seems to work... Razz

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
SteelProven

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kethnaab wrote:

Why does that matter? It's been working, but don't think for a second that if need be that Timmons can't call the defense. The Steelers if Foote gets injured would have know choice but to let Timmons call the defense.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clark makes the calls because he is FS and doesn't move around as much as Polamalu. The logistics of him making the calls when he moves all around the field would be difficult, especially because he is the only guy Lebeau would ever let come close to freelancing. I'm not going to say Timmons is dumb outright, because its hard to say. We don't hear much from him.
kethnaab

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebrick wrote:
kethnaab wrote:

It seems to work... Razz

and is that because of, or in spite of, Timmons' inability in that realm?
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kethnaab wrote:
jebrick wrote:
kethnaab wrote:

It seems to work... Razz

What exactly do you base this claim that he is unable to call out defensive signals?

Its one thing to say he hasnt done it because that can be seen, but unless youre a coach or at least a player on the team, I have no idea how you can claim he cant. Ive read nothing that suggests that to be the case either....outside of certain people on certain forums.

Not calling you out or anything, I just dont like when claims are made with no real backing. I expect it from certain people, but not you.

However, I am open minded, so if you have legit reason, Id like to hear it.

And I will say that we certainly dont succeed IN SPITE of Timmons.
kethnaab

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
kethnaab wrote:
jebrick wrote:
kethnaab wrote:

It seems to work... Razz

What exactly do you base this claim that he is unable to call out defensive signals?

interviews with various players and comments by Butler and LeBeau on steelcityinsiders.

43Mafia wrote:
Not calling you out or anything, I just dont like when claims are made with no real backing. I expect it from certain people, but not you.

a valid request. I should've posted that originally

43Mafia wrote:
And I will say that we certainly dont succeed IN SPITE of Timmons.

yeah, I didn't mean to imply that. I mean, "do we succeed BECAUSE Timmons doesn't make the calls" vs. "do we succeed despite Timmons not making the calls"
jebrick

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kethnaab wrote:
jebrick wrote:
kethnaab wrote:

It seems to work... Razz

Training a player for several years before they are able to start full time.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
At 6-foot-4 and 320 pounds, Steve McLendon fits right in on a football field.

At a ballet studio, not so much.

Yet that's where McLendon, who is expected to be the Pittsburgh Steelers' starting nose tackle this year, has found a unique and helpful form of training.

In a recent profile of McLendon in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Ed Bouchette writes that the 27-year-old McLendon enrolled in ballet as a senior at Troy University because he thought it would be an easy class. As it turned out, the class was one of the most beneficial of McLendon's college career.

After signing with the Steelers in 2009, McLendon started taking ballet classes twice a week at a studio in Pittsburgh. He even told Bouchette that "it's harder than anything else I do."

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/training-day/201307/whats-nfl-linemans-secret-success-ballet

Id rather Marcus Gilbert do ballet, since footwork is very important for an LT and thats what ballet helps the most.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: