Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Redskins QB RGIII fined $10,000 by NFL for apparel violation
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Broncos_OTM

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit off topic here... please excuse. Redskins fans.. is there a rift developing between mike Shanahan and RG3? I've only paid very little attention. Think shannys time is NFL?
Ketchup

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broncos_OTM wrote:
A bit off topic here... please excuse. Redskins fans.. is there a rift developing between mike Shanahan and RG3? I've only paid very little attention. Think shannys time is NFL?
No rift. Both RGIII and Shanny have said so themselves. The "rift" is all the fabrication of the media.

Kempes on the custom sig!
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ketchup wrote:
Flaccomania wrote:
FYI, sponsors aren't allowed to pay fines. It is taken out of a players' paycheck, IIRC. Also, if it's found that the player is being reimbursed for the fine, it's a big offense.
I may be mistaken but the Opertation Patience shirt is something he came up with because the coaches wouldn't let him play in the preseason. Has nothing to do with any sponsor.

No idea, I was just responding to the posts claiming that the sponsor would pay.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seemed like a pretty clever idea for a shirt. Why charge the man 10grand over something like that? I could see maybe 500-1000$ dollars, but 10gs is a LOT of money.
Nabbs4u

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballProdiG wrote:
Seemed like a pretty clever idea for a shirt. Why charge the man 10grand over something like that? I could see maybe 500-1000$ dollars, but 10gs is a LOT of money.

500-$1000 would happen on a weekly basis if a player was trying to make a point or promote. 10 large every offense, that's another story.

The more I think about it. People have said he has been fined before? Is this 10g the result of it being a multiple offense?

Bird Watch:
Jeremy Maclin: 5 Gm/ 25 Rec/ 429 Yds/ 4 TD/ 17.2 YPC/
FootballProdiG

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nabbs4u wrote:
FootballProdiG wrote:

500-$1000 would happen on a weekly basis if a player was trying to make a point or promote. 10 large every offense, that's another story.

I get they were making a statement, but at least the shirt was in Team Colors haha.
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just out of curiosity, but lets say Robert decided to kept up the apparel violations, would it be possible that he'd be suspended for not listening to Goodell?

I mean at some point, you certainly have to increase the punishment for his actions, right?

down but not out. I still believe!
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:
just out of curiosity, but lets say Robert decided to kept up the apparel violations, would it be possible that he'd be suspended for not listening to Goodell?

I mean at some point, you certainly have to increase the punishment for his actions, right?

I would definitely believe so. It'd show a blatant lack of respect for the rules of the league. That is, if he decided to just pay the ever increasing fines which would get pretty outrageous pretty quickly.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballProdiG wrote:

I am not sure $500 or $1000 would really do enough to dissuade RGIII from violating league rules.
sp6488

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballProdiG wrote:

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/8/22/4648988/robert-griffin-iii-recovery-fine-tshirt

Quote:
The "Operation Patience" shirt is also an Adidas product, so no one should ever accuse Griffin of not being a company man. The fine shouldn't hurt Griffin's pocketbook too badly, given his current salary with the Redskins and apparently hefty deal with Adidas.

Nike pays to be the official apparel company for the NFL. I'm not sure of the exact language, but I'm pretty sure there is something in the CBA and by extension all players' contracts that mandates they comply with all official NFL apparel sponsorship agreements while on the field and engaging in official game-related activities (i.e. warm-ups, press conferences, etc.). This isn't a case of the NFL being a bunch of squares, this is them honoring their agreement with Nike, which RGIII is aware of and elected to break. Not a big deal or anything, but he will pay the consequences and it isn't unfair on the part of the league at all IMO.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nextsuperstar wrote:
FootballProdiG wrote:

I am not sure $500 or $1000 would really do enough to dissuade RGIII from violating league rules.

Exactly. RG3 knows the rules, and yet even $10,000 didn't deter him.

This isn't a matter of him in an "oops, I didn't realize" situation -- this is a situation where he determined wearing that shirt was worth $10,000.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
SteelKing728 wrote:

I would definitely believe so. It'd show a blatant lack of respect for the rules of the league. That is, if he decided to just pay the ever increasing fines which would get pretty outrageous pretty quickly.

Yeah. It would be interesting to see how many "passes" players got before things got serious. FWIW, I doubt this 10k fine hurts RGIII in any way, so I consider it a pass.

2014 Adopt a Saint
Brandin Cooks - 34 receptions, 278 yards, 1 first downs, 1 TD - 5 rushes, 64 yards, 3 first downs
Corey White - 29 tackles, 1 sack, 1 pass defended, 1 fumble recovery
sp6488

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

domepatrol91 wrote:
Flaccomania wrote:
SteelKing728 wrote:

Yeah. It would be interesting to see how many "passes" players got before things got serious. FWIW, I doubt this 10k fine hurts RGIII in any way, so I consider it a pass.

Right, and although Adidas can't officially pay his fine, they could always increase what they pay him the next time around.

I remember this discussion coming up when Reggie Bush first entered the league.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sp6488 wrote:
domepatrol91 wrote:
Flaccomania wrote:
SteelKing728 wrote:

Right, and although Adidas can't officially pay his fine, they could always increase what they pay him the next time around.

I remember this discussion coming up when Reggie Bush first entered the league.

Not to mention, since it got these headlines, the revenues on that shirt very well may have increased quite a bit, and if he gets a percentage of that, may have made himself back that $10k plus some.

Location: #FSU #championchip #2012BirdsHoF #2012GoldStnd #YAKtoseIntolerant #Merica #TrollyRangers #Danes
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the heck is an operation patience? But yeah, I don't really mind tacky rules in the NFL. These guys are being compensated with unbelievable wealth, fortune, and fame. If they have to wear particular t-shirts, then let it be.

I'll wear the same t-shirt for 365 days straight without washing it for 2% of RG3's net worth.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Only for the quick and lucky.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: