Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Melton tears ACL; done for year - what to do going forward?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Madmike90

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/chi-chicago-bears-landon-cohen-20130927,0,7760800.story

Quote:
The Chicago Bears brought Landon Cohen in for a workout on Tuesday and now they are expected to sign the defensive tackle as a replacement for Henry Melton.

With Cohen arriving Friday, according to a league source, that means the Bears will have to place the Pro Bowl performer Melton on injured reserve five days after he suffered a torn ACL in his left knee in Sunday’s victory at Pittsburgh.

CBears019

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/chi-chicago-bears-landon-cohen-20130927,0,7760800.story

Quote:
The Chicago Bears brought Landon Cohen in for a workout on Tuesday and now they are expected to sign the defensive tackle as a replacement for Henry Melton.

With Cohen arriving Friday, according to a league source, that means the Bears will have to place the Pro Bowl performer Melton on injured reserve five days after he suffered a torn ACL in his left knee in Sunday’s victory at Pittsburgh.

Never heard of Cohen.

Adopt-a-Bear: Martellus Bennett, TE
Rec: 36 Yds: 364 TD: 4

AZBearsFan wrote:

He's a playmaker though, and we can use more of those in the Devin.Fart
Madmike90

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBears019 wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:

Quote:

Never heard of Cohen.

Nope...from what I have read he had bounced around quite a bit to 8 different teams.
Mudderfudder77

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Played for both Marinelli (Det and Dallas) and briefly with Mel Tucker in Jax.

PFF had him graded for 38 snaps through the first two games of the year (-0.7).

Adopt-a-Bear Lamarr Houston

Man-child. QB-killer. Defender of the run. Destroyer of worlds
Madmike90

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaMike wrote:
bkokot wrote:
Derrick Hopkins is having a coming out party tonight in the Virginia Tech VS Georgia Tech game.

6'0, 312lbs, and explosive. Powerful run stopper, pass rush ability. He'd look great in a Bears uniform. He'd give us a true big body DT for the first time in a long time.
Ya he's looked good. Also watch Calvin Burnett from Oklahoma State and Caraun Reid from Princeton.

I think the two most impressive DTs I have watched this season have been George Uko at USC & Ego Ferguson at LSU who looked much better than Anthony Johnson against TCU...the most impressive DL I have seen was Za'Darius Smith out of Kentucky...he is almost Clowney like...

Just a shame they are all juniors.
DaMike

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
DaMike wrote:
bkokot wrote:
Derrick Hopkins is having a coming out party tonight in the Virginia Tech VS Georgia Tech game.

6'0, 312lbs, and explosive. Powerful run stopper, pass rush ability. He'd look great in a Bears uniform. He'd give us a true big body DT for the first time in a long time.
Ya he's looked good. Also watch Calvin Burnett from Oklahoma State and Caraun Reid from Princeton.

I think the two most impressive DTs I have watched this season have been George Uko at USC & Ego Ferguson at LSU who looked much better than Anthony Johnson against TCU...the most impressive DL I have seen was Za'Darius Smith out of Kentucky...he is almost Clowney like...

Uko is a good looking player but I doubt he would come out this season. I havent watched an LSU game this season. I dont think you can compare Smith and Clowney.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaMike wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
DaMike wrote:
bkokot wrote:

Uko is a good looking player but I doubt he would come out this season. I havent watched an LSU game this season. I dont think you can compare Smith and Clowney.

I think if Uko continues to play the way he has there is a good chance he comes out…there would be very little point in him staying at USC when you consider the sanctions they are still facing…

And I’m not comparing Smith to Clowney…I’m saying Smith is almost Clowney like in terms of size, strength and athletic ability…Smith is far more raw and doesn’t play with the same technique…give him the rest of this year and a senior season and he could be pushing on for the same kind praise but who knows if he will continue to develop…will be interesting to see him when Kentucky get deep into the SEC schedule starting today with Florida.
DaMike

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
DaMike wrote:
bkokot wrote:

I think if Uko continues to play the way he has there is a good chance he comes out…there would be very little point in him staying at USC when you consider the sanctions they are still facing…

And I’m not comparing Smith to Clowney…I’m saying Smith is almost Clowney like in terms of size, strength and athletic ability…Smith is far more raw and doesn’t play with the same technique…give him the rest of this year and a senior season and he could be pushing on for the same kind praise but who knows if he will continue to develop…will be interesting to see him when Kentucky get deep into the SEC schedule starting today with Florida.
I didnt know USC was in trouble. Ive seen some have him listed as a DE with his estimated weight at 275.

I dont see Smith anywhere near that level. You really cant compare anyone to Clowney. Smith is maybe a mid round version of him.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaMike wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
DaMike wrote:
bkokot wrote:

I didnt know USC was in trouble. Ive seen some have him listed as a DE with his estimated weight at 275.

I dont see Smith anywhere near that level. You really cant compare anyone to Clowney. Smith is maybe a mid round version of him.

Yeah he is down to 275lbs because he is being asked to play DE in USC’s 3-4 defence this year…last year tho he was up at 285-290lbs and playing UT in Monte Kiffin’s Cover 2…he is an ideal fit for this D…

I don’t agree on Smith being a mid-round pick at all…I think if he continues to develop and gain more experience he is a 1st round pick in 2015.
DaMike

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
DaMike wrote:
bkokot wrote:

Yeah he is down to 275lbs because he is being asked to play DE in USC’s 3-4 defence this year…last year tho he was up at 285-290lbs and playing UT in Monte Kiffin’s Cover 2…he is an ideal fit for this D…

I don’t agree on Smith being a mid-round pick at all…I think if he continues to develop and gain more experience he is a 1st round pick in 2015.
If he really was up around 290 last year then that's good. He's a good athlete.

I just dont see it with Smith. He's isnt a quick twitch athlete. He isnt explosive off the snap and he isnt very strong. Right now I wouldnt even consider him a starting caliber end in the NFL. He's got a long long way to go not just technique wise.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is that we will resign Melton for 1 year at 4-5 million on a prove it deal.

Or we will draft someone in the 3rd or 4th round and pair them with Paea and Collins.

I would not be shocked if Collins, with increased reps, makes Melton expendable.
DaMike

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
My guess is that we will resign Melton for 1 year at 4-5 million on a prove it deal.

Or we will draft someone in the 3rd or 4th round and pair them with Paea and Collins.

I would not be shocked if Collins, with increased reps, makes Melton expendable.
Collins sucks. He better not be our starting UT. I really hope he's not on the team next season. UT is to important of a position in our scheme (if we keep this scheme) to have him playing.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaMike wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
DaMike wrote:
bkokot wrote:

I just dont see it with Smith. He's isnt a quick twitch athlete. He isnt explosive off the snap and he isnt very strong. Right now I wouldnt even consider him a starting caliber end in the NFL. He's got a long long way to go not just technique wise.

Not to sound like an arse but are you sure you are watching the right guy Laughing...

Smith looks very explosive off the edge and can straight up bull rush an OT as well...Kentucky hasn’t faced great competition but he has looked real good so far.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaMike wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

Collins sucks. He better not be our starting UT. I really hope he's not on the team next season. UT is to important of a position in our scheme (if we keep this scheme) to have him playing.

Yeah there is no way Collins is making Melton expendable...Collins is a solid backup but in truth if we resign Melton then we better pick up at least one if not preferably two DTs to cover ourselves against Melton not being 100% and just the fact we lack talent at that position…I have us trying to trade out of the 1st round in the draft to gain a 2nd & 3rd round then using 2 of our first 4 picks on DTs…and that’s with us resigning Melton…it’s a position that we need to sure up.
DaMike

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
DaMike wrote:
bkokot wrote:

Not to sound like an arse but are you sure you are watching the right guy Laughing...

Smith looks very explosive off the edge and can straight up bull rush an OT as well...Kentucky hasn’t faced great competition but he has looked real good so far.
im watching the right guy. I dont see an explosive player at all. He's produced against gym teachers but that doesn't matter. He didn't do much against Louisville. I don't see a big time NFL athlete.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 10 of 11

Jump to: