Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Darius Slay's struggles
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rockcity

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
Janoris Jenkins sure looks great right out the gate. I know we're counting on Broyles to play a big role in our offense coming up, but what I would've given to trade up for Jenkins in last year's draft.

But Darius will be fine. Like Houston earlier in his career, he's struggling to find his equilibrium within our zone. We've played a lot of it since 2011 when Houston had all of those shoulder injuries.
I wanted jenkins so bad that year.
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nagahide13 wrote:
Corners seem to be extremely misunderstood. Yes, it's one of the most physically demanding positions in all of football... but that doesn't mean it's purely physical. They almost never make immediate impact as rookies. It's a position that doesn't only demand unbelievable athleticism... it requires complete understanding of scheme and muscle memory that most of us can't even fathom.

In terms of all around difficulty, it's the only position in football that compares to QB.

Anyone ever heard the bit about Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers? (DHLF has me here I'm sure) She had to do everything he did... but backwards. In heels.

That's essentially what corners have to do in the NFL. Minus the heels. Laughing

Anyway... The point is this; Corners take a while to develop. We're trying to win games and develop our young talent at the same time... We play Slay because he has great upside and needs experience. We sub Mathis because he's currently smarter and more experienced, and isn't as likely to completely blow his coverage.

It's really not that big of a deal. Slay's getting his time and has a great attitude. He's going to work hard to get better.

He's young, he's inexperienced, and he will get better.

However I'm hoping he doesn't take a page out of Gingers book. Laughing

Heels on turf just don't work and I've never seen any in Honolulu Blue.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diehardlionfan wrote:

Could have sworn Joey Blue Skies wore a pair with red sequins a few times...maybe my memory is off......
detroitroar

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a perfect place to clamor about perhaps my least favorite pick.

CB is still one of the hardest positions to transition to the NFL, so all in all, I am not particularly worried about him.

I still wish we'd taken Escobar over him, and Pettigrew is only helping that feeling.

detroitroar

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rockcity wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
Janoris Jenkins sure looks great right out the gate. I know we're counting on Broyles to play a big role in our offense coming up, but what I would've given to trade up for Jenkins in last year's draft.

But Darius will be fine. Like Houston earlier in his career, he's struggling to find his equilibrium within our zone. We've played a lot of it since 2011 when Houston had all of those shoulder injuries.

I think I remember saying between rounds 1 and 2 that I would consider trading the rest of our draft to come up and get Jenkins.

Guy is a flat out playmaker and I thought it was evident in his film that he would thrive in this league.

IIRC, his 'character issues' were a bit exaggerated.

stylish313

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

detroitroar wrote:

CB is still one of the hardest positions to transition to the NFL, so all in all, I am not particularly worried about him.

I still wish we'd taken Escobar over him, and Pettigrew is only helping that feeling.
That selection would've miffed me about as much as the Pettigrew selection.
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
detroitroar wrote:

Me 3.

As a prospect Pettigrew was far closer to being worth his draft status than Escobar.
detroitroar

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
detroitroar wrote:

Me 3.

As a prospect Pettigrew was far closer to being worth his draft status than Escobar.

Escobars receiving skills and potential are significantly higher than what Pettigrews were....depending on who you ask I guess.

I think Escobar is gonna score a lot of TD's.

Sllim Pickens

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

detroitroar wrote:
Rockcity wrote:
stylish313 wrote:

I think I remember saying between rounds 1 and 2 that I would consider trading the rest of our draft to come up and get Jenkins.

Guy is a flat out playmaker and I thought it was evident in his film that he would thrive in this league.

Someone should post his advanced stats. I still think he is vastly overrated. I watched about 10 minutes of a Rams game this year and they mentioned how his struggles continue and he was being picked on. Casey Heyward would have been the better CB of us to snag recently. If we traded up for Jenkins I think everyone would be irate right now with the way he seems to be struggling.

Adopt-A-Lion - Riley Reiff, OT/TE/FB
Louis Friend

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nagahide13 wrote:
It's really not that big of a deal. Slay's getting his time and has a great attitude. He's going to work hard to get better.

The issue is that Slay is not in fact getting his time. He didn't play at all last week. In fact, he was the only active player to not play one snap. I understand trying to ease him in. I even understand going to the vet late in games. I don't understand not playing this kid at all. He's struggled at times, but he hasn't done anything to not play.
Sllim Pickens

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louis Friend wrote:
nagahide13 wrote:

The issue is that Slay is not in fact getting his time. He didn't play at all last week. In fact, he was the only active player to not play one snap. I understand trying to ease him in. I even understand going to the vet late in games. I don't understand not playing this kid at all. He's struggled at times, but he hasn't done anything to not play.

Did Leshoure play? I didn't see him if he did.

I get what you are saying but I don't think it's an issue now. If he goes 3 or 5 games without a snap, sure it may get worrisome. But it likely was a learning event, in which he was able to watch, analyze, and learn from the sidelines. He is still getting practice reps, so I'm not too worried about him sitting during the games right now.

Adopt-A-Lion - Riley Reiff, OT/TE/FB
stylish313

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sllim Pickens wrote:
detroitroar wrote:
Rockcity wrote:
stylish313 wrote:

Someone should post his advanced stats. I still think he is vastly overrated. I watched about 10 minutes of a Rams game this year and they mentioned how his struggles continue and he was being picked on. Casey Heyward would have been the better CB of us to snag recently. If we traded up for Jenkins I think everyone would be irate right now with the way he seems to be struggling.
Don't need to post the stats, I concede. He's been horrible in coverage, allowing 16 receptions on 24 targets for 194 yards, 2 TD's, and a passer rating of 119.1

Different story last season for Jenkins though. Don't know what's going on this year.
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:

Could have sworn Joey Blue Skies wore a pair with red sequins a few times...maybe my memory is off......

You may be right. They say the brain blocks out many memories associated with trauma.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
Rockcity

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope we play mikel myself.. I bet the dudes been stewing. Maybe he can give us his best Lynch sunday. Nothing wrong with using 3. Plus bush is starting to worry me...I want him to last the season...this was my worry about signing him.
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
Don't need to post the stats, I concede. He's been horrible in coverage, allowing 16 receptions on 24 targets for 194 yards, 2 TD's, and a passer rating of 119.1.

Be sure to consult PFF before speaking your mind.

Team Stylish

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: