Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Run D vs vikes
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wwhickok

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The running plays shouldn't even be getting to the dbs

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
Gatoradus

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also steelers are adapting to league's strengths. Z. Hood is best suited for right side as a pass-rusher, C. Heyward belongs on left. Also if we were to adopt Wade Phillips' scheme Heyward would get many as sacks as he could. As frustrating it is, sad fact is that there's no true NT who can be a run-stuffing and pass-rush just as good. Wilfork no longer has been considered as the best NT, Atkins and Ngata both are 4-3 products.

It is time for us to lower our standards of specific "nose tackle" position we are so used to see. I notice the slow evolution of our defense, which is good but its not quite good enough I agree.

I also am pretty certain if we were to play Wade Phillips' defense Ziggy Hood would be our nose tackle, not McLendon.
Gatoradus

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Believe it or not, strong safeties have big role in running games in similiar schemes of Wade Phillips and Rob Ryan. Ryan's reason why Browns got TJ Ward.
Gatoradus

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Believe it or not, strong safeties have big role in running games in similiar schemes of Wade Phillips and Rob Ryan. Ryan's reason why Browns got TJ Ward.
jebrick

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwhickok wrote:
KJtheWicked wrote:
wwhickok, I completely agree with your thoughts on McLendon, and completely disagree with your thoughts on Hood.

Hood is playing as well as you can expect with all the other problems the front seven is having against the run. A major one of those problems I noticed against the Bears is McLendon getting stood straight up regularly by one blocker, particularly in the first half. When that happens, there is little to no chance of stopping an inside run for any less than 3-4 yards.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news here, but I think AP is gonna run wild on this team. And you know what, I'm fine with that. Steelers aren't winning the super bowl this year, and I have AP in all 3 of my dynasty leagues.

That right there nullifies any argument one might have to suggest McLendon is the guy we need for the NT position in our defense. He can't do what Hampton used to.

Everyone knew he could not do what one of the best NTs to ever play the position can do. He is not Hampton so it should not be expected that he plays like Hampton. I'm was hoping he would be like Hoke but he ends up shedding blocks away from the play a lot of times. He will do better vs ZBS but we are not really seeing much of it.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
stillersenat

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwhickok wrote:

Well in a perfect world...yes, but the truth is that defenses are also designed to provide either safety or CB run support.

CaptainParker wrote:

Bubby outplayed Elway in everything....
wwhickok

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stillersenat wrote:
wwhickok wrote:

Well in a perfect world...yes, but the truth is that defenses are also designed to provide either safety or CB run support.

Yes your right, my point is, and the point people choose to keep either, ignoring or making excuses for, is that the NT position is where it all starts. if the 'Nucleus' breaks down in the run defense, the rest has no hope. It starts with McLendon and while I agree that the guys behind him have to take part of the blame, he isn't the guy we need at NT. He isn't making this defense better.

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
CKSteeler

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the success teams have had running the ball has come against the nickel defense. I don't have any issue with the DL play overall. It's not the 2008 group, but they are above the line to use a Tomlinism. McLendon is actually doubled quite a bit, even on pass plays. The Bears showed him a bit of attention.

Teams are spreading the field and throwing quick passes. The pass rush doesn't have time to hit home. They've played some mobile QB's who have been able to avoid it at times when it has. The offense has put them behind the 8 ball a few times, so teams are under little pressure to force anything down field. They are comfortable running and not throwing into the teeth of the defense.
95lloyd

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KJtheWicked wrote:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news here, but I think AP is gonna run wild on this team. And you know what, I'm fine with that. Steelers aren't winning the super bowl this year, and I have AP in all 3 of my dynasty leagues.

You'd rather your team got run all over because of fantasy football? That's just sad.
wwhickok

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

95lloyd wrote:
KJtheWicked wrote:

You'd rather your team got run all over because of fantasy football? That's just sad.

Yeah...a little. I'd rather our team go 16-0 and my fantasty team go 0-16 than my fantasy team be 3-1 and my favorite team be 0-3 right now (3-1 speculatively, i'm winning by a landslide right now)

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
KJtheWicked

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

95lloyd wrote:
KJtheWicked wrote:

Didn't say I want it to happen, now did I? I said it's going to happen, and I explained the underlying benefits for me personally when it does happen.

Go Noles!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: