Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bucs Banks has Contracted MRSA, Nicks's Infection Returns
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
iPwn

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/ScottSBucs/status/389172129591066626
Quote:
The NFL & NFLPA have just issued a joint statement saying Johnthan Banks has been cleared to play tomorrow. No risk of MRSA transmission.

- Best since day one -
The road to success is always under construction - Gus Bradley
Nabbs4u

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this might be getting blown out of proportion a little. There are millions of people who carry the staff infection (mrsa). Many of which who have no idea they even have it. The only time mrsa is a issue or transferable (from my understanding) is when it is in a active state. Fact is there are probably 100's (multiple) of NFL players who are carriers. The problem is one knowing If you are a carrier and two when your actually active? Unfortunately with the amount of people (NFL related) unaware they even have it I'm surprised it's not an even bigger issue. Banks being cleared is not the issue. It's the players who don't know assuming they didn't test everyone. Which they probably did.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nabbs4u wrote:
I think this might be getting blown out of proportion a little. There are millions of people who carry the staff infection (mrsa). Many of which who have no idea they even have it. The only time mrsa is a issue or transferable (from my understanding) is when it is in a active state. Fact is there are probably 100's (multiple) of NFL players who are carriers. The problem is one knowing If you are a carrier and two when your actually active? Unfortunately with the amount of people (NFL related) unaware they even have it I'm surprised it's not an even bigger issue. Banks being cleared is not the issue. It's the players who don't know assuming they didn't test everyone. Which they probably did.
The highest estimates have MRSA carriers at 5% of the population. That's 88 players on rosters who could be infected based on population rates. More common estimates are closer to 1%, which would put it at 17 players. Given that the NFL and teams have a partnership with BioQuest and other companies to use hygienic materials that prevent the spread of MRSA and are on a cocktail of antibiotics (many of which MRSA infection is resistant to), antimicrobials (particularly effective for clearing out carriers with stealth bacteria) and anti-inflammatory drugs, as well as in constant contact with their doctor, I would actually suggest that the number is much, much lower.

- Best since day one -
The road to success is always under construction - Gus Bradley
yankee0724

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
coors wrote:
As if TBs season couldn't get any worse

The Jaguars and Giants say hi!

MRS is way more serious than losing football games...

Quote:
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others.
WhackyPlague

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nabbs4u wrote:

S. aureus is a very common bacterium, usually as a commensal (not helpful, not harmful) organism that lives on the skin. Pathogenic (disease-causing) strains are less common, and the methicillin resistant form (MRSA) is still less so.

So, the presence of staph is unremarkable, but the presence of disease-causing MRSA is a cause for concern.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: