Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

GDT: Chargers @ Chiefs (Week 12)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
samsel23

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rearviewmirror wrote:
ryknowssd wrote:
Diesel2692 wrote:
why in the world did we call a timeout there???

Andy wanted to see what personnel they had on the field, then he called a timeout to switch the play. I think he should've said until the play clock counted down a bit more, but whatevs.

this whatevs right here cost us the game. Absolutely no reason to give them the ball with any time left unless we ran the ball in on 1st down. We had 3 TOs, and a guaranteed FG to tie the game even if we didn't score. You have to force them to call their TOs.

Yup told my friends if we don't run in after that TO we're going to lose.

You leave Rivers 1:30 with 2 timeouts, without our 2 pass rushers. Got to be smarter than that. I mean it's not like JC was ineffective. Run the damn ball, worst you can do is force SD to call timeouts and tie it up.

We do that and we're in the drivers seat for Home Field. Which is KEY to our playoff success!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

samsel23 wrote:
Rearviewmirror wrote:
ryknowssd wrote:
Diesel2692 wrote:

Andy wanted to see what personnel they had on the field, then he called a timeout to switch the play. I think he should've said until the play clock counted down a bit more, but whatevs.

this whatevs right here cost us the game. Absolutely no reason to give them the ball with any time left unless we ran the ball in on 1st down. We had 3 TOs, and a guaranteed FG to tie the game even if we didn't score. You have to force them to call their TOs.

You leave Rivers 1:30 with 2 timeouts, without our 2 pass rushers. Got to be smarter than that. I mean it's not like JC was ineffective. Run the damn ball, worst you can do is force SD to call timeouts and tie it up.

We do that and we're in the drivers seat for Home Field. Which is KEY to our playoff success!

I wish he'd have let the clock run down before the time out for sure.. but that was only 16 seconds! So that little mistake doesn't for certain change the outcome. Chargers snapped their TD play at 31 seconds left.

As for running the ball just to burn time.. we were TRAILING and a score is not some guarantee. Chargers aren't for certain calling time out with us trailing/them LEADING still even if we do run the ball so trying to get them to use time outs seems pretty doubtful. It would have burned clock.. and it would have burned a down. We needed to score so I'm not throwing away any downs!

This loss is on the defense. If folks wanna include Sutton in that a bit, fine. Reid though.. for the time out... no, just no. The defense failed when they allowed a 60 yard TD with FORTY of it after the catch! The defense failed when Demps took a crap angle on his deep help for Smith and completely took himself out of the play to allow a game winning TD. Credit Rivers too.. cause even with Demps mistake Smith had solid coverage.. that was a great throw!

We've seen it on a number of deep throws this year and it needs to be addressed. Safety play over the top has been a problem all year.

That all said it was great to see the offense and Alex match Rivers in a shootout. I know some have lacked confidence (radio, here, or on AP) in Alex's ability to do that but he clearly had before (playoffs against Brees) and you could tell the offense was getting close to turning the corner (all the drops and execution mistakes) and carrying their side of the weight.

This team (with Hali and Houston back) will be a tough matchup for anyone!

With Denver losing.. we are still in control of our season. Beat Denver!
2014 Adopt-A-Chief: #29 Eric Berry, S
Tackles:14/Assists:1/TFL:0/Sacks:0/FF:0/FR:0/PD:1/INT:0

Last edited by Arrowhead86 on Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:16 am; edited 1 time in total
bigballin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kcpre wrote:
My bad guys, this loss is on me. I wore my damn cursed Berry jersey, I thought I'd be cool since we lost last week, but no. I am never, ever, EVER wearing that jersey on game day again

No no its my fault we lost, I didn't wear my chiefs red nike undershirt. I'm a terrible fan... Sad
HiccupGuy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kingseanjohn wrote:
ryknowssd wrote:
...and DOWN GO THE DONKS! LOVE IT!!! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Highlight of my day!!!

That is prolly the only good thing about yesterday.
5 punt returns - 85 yards - 0 TD
Mikek163

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HiccupGuy wrote:
kingseanjohn wrote:
ryknowssd wrote:
...and DOWN GO THE DONKS! LOVE IT!!! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Highlight of my day!!!

That is prolly the only good thing about yesterday.

Nothing cures a heart breaking loss like a Denver loss to New England while leading 24-0 at half LOL!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too many mixed emotions right now to even collect them. Get back to ya later!!!
samsel23

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrowhead86 wrote:
samsel23 wrote:
Rearviewmirror wrote:
ryknowssd wrote:
Diesel2692 wrote:

I wish he'd have let the clock run down before the time out for sure.. but that was only 16 seconds! So that little mistake doesn't for certain change the outcome. Chargers snapped their TD play at 31 seconds left.

As for running the ball just to burn time.. we were TRAILING and a score is not some guarantee. Chargers aren't for certain calling time out with us trailing/them LEADING still even if we do run the ball so trying to get them to use time outs seems pretty doubtful. It would have burned clock.. and it would have burned a down. We needed to score so I'm not throwing away any downs!

This loss is on the defense. If folks wanna include Sutton in that a bit, fine. Reid though.. for the time out... no, just no. The defense failed when they allowed a 60 yard TD with FORTY of it after the catch! The defense failed when Demps took a crap angle on his deep help for Smith and completely took himself out of the play to allow a game winning TD. Credit Rivers too.. cause even with Demps mistake Smith had solid coverage.. that was a great throw!

We've seen it on a number of deep throws this year and it needs to be addressed. Safety play over the top has been a problem all year.

That all said it was great to see the offense and Alex match Rivers in a shootout. I know some have lacked confidence (radio, here, or on AP) in Alex's ability to do that but he clearly had before (playoffs against Brees) and you could tell the offense was getting close to turning the corner (all the drops and execution mistakes) and carrying their side of the weight.

We had 2 Timeouts, if San Diego doesn't want to burn them that plays in our favor.

It's all about adjustments. If Hali and Houston are in, hell yeah we go straight for the TD, but giving 1:30(+2 TO's) to Rivers against a D that had already been torched in the 2nd half isn't how I'd play it.

Game Over anyways, hopefully 1 of Tamba or Houston is ready to go against Denver. If not I'm 100% serious when I say Berry should start at OLB.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrowhead86 wrote:

Running the ball with Jamaal Charles is not even remotely close to "throwing away" a down.

Adopt-a-Chief: Travis "Better Than Tony Moeaki" Kelce
24 catches, 307 yards, 3 TDs
Arrowhead86

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jakuvious wrote:
Arrowhead86 wrote:

Running the ball with Jamaal Charles is not even remotely close to "throwing away" a down.

Fair point.. but people said it with wanting to just keep the clock going. If we score on the run play what changes? Maybe poorly worded in my quote above but I just didn't want to run the ball just to burn clock.
samsel23

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrowhead86 wrote:
Jakuvious wrote:
Arrowhead86 wrote:

Fair point.. but people said it with wanting to just keep the clock going. If we score on the run play what changes? Maybe poorly worded in my quote above but I just didn't want to run the ball just to burn clock.

Should have worded mine better. Sure if we score running that's fine, but don't call a TO with time on the playclock, ESPECIALLY if you're just gonna throw it.

Basically you just made coaching on the other sidelines a cake walk. Make them decide if they wanna burn the TO if we don't score on a run. If we don't fine there's 1:30 left and we have 2 timeouts if Alex doesn't like the playcall vs. D setup.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

samsel23 wrote:
Arrowhead86 wrote:
Jakuvious wrote:
Arrowhead86 wrote:

Should have worded mine better. Sure if we score running that's fine, but don't call a TO with time on the playclock, ESPECIALLY if you're just gonna throw it.

Basically you just made coaching on the other sidelines a cake walk. Make them decide if they wanna burn the TO if we don't score on a run. If we don't fine there's 1:30 left and we have 2 timeouts if Alex doesn't like the playcall vs. D setup.

Someone on AP commented that on the sidelines there was confusion going on. They started to run some guys onto the field and then pulled them back, things were all disjointed.

Now important to remember here.. the headset communications turn off with 15 seconds left in the clock.. so if Reid/Peterson were going to express to Alex that they wanted a timeout they were right up against it there.

Andy wanted to get things settled and get the right call/personnel there. He did so to the result of a lead taking touchdown with under 2 minutes to go, at home!

Andy Reid said:
Quote:
I was just calming the storm there and making sure that-we needed a touchdown at that point-make sure that we had the right things in and we were ready to go.

I think getting everyone on the same page (with a net result being a TD in this case) was the right move.

Here's Alex on the timeout:
Quote:
With the clock rolling, it was to let us settle down. The timeout came from the sidelines. I think it was to make sure we were in the right play. You have to be careful there to rush because you could waste a down. Those downs are so vital, you never know if you're going to score on the next play. I think it was just making sure we were in the right situation, to settle down and make sure we had the right personnel on the field and the right play called. And I think it was worth it. It obviously came with the touchdown on the next play.

Could the elapsed time have helped? Sure.
Was it a huge mistake? Not in this fans opinion.
bigschmadt00

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are all focused on one instance in the game when we refused to run and burn the clock. With what 8 lead changes, we had several opportunities to burn more clock with a lead (which should be our MO).

I'm not one to box score scout, but what do these numbers represent 38 and 18? Seriously, take a second to try and guess.

That's the number of times we attempted a pass versus attempting a run. We attempted to run 32% of the time. That's ridiculous given our team's make-up. That one timeout was not the reason we lost that game, it was the repeated failings to burn more time in the previous 2-3 possessions.

^ryknowssd on the sig
Rearviewmirror

Location: ^^Tamba waiting on his next feast in the Avy Ryk on the sig
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrowhead86 wrote:
samsel23 wrote:
Rearviewmirror wrote:
ryknowssd wrote:
Diesel2692 wrote:

that 15 seconds was HUGE. Imagine everthing goes the same but we run down that 15 seconds, how much different does the play calling get for them with 15 seconds left in the game instead of 30 seconds. How much different for us? 15 seconds is a LOT of time especially when you have a TO which we just let them keep.

les paul wrote:
There's only one thing that determines a teams performance on any given sunday
Their opponent-
Rearviewmirror

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrowhead86 wrote:
samsel23 wrote:
Rearviewmirror wrote:
ryknowssd wrote:
Diesel2692 wrote:

The D was terrible yesterday no doubt about it, but the way the game played out, calling a TO AND throwing the ball is stupid. We had 3 downs, 3 TOs from the 5 yards line and JC had been running better than any other game this year at that point. Throwing the ball was stupid. Throwing the ball risked an INT, and incompletion, and if we were successfull then they get both their TOs and 1:20 on the clock. The way our defense played and the fact that both of our stud pass rushers out dictates that situational awareness tells you to run the ball on first down. You get in, great, but if you don't, you run off all that clock or force them to call a TO, and if they call even 1 TO then they don't have the tone they used on the Berry sack, how much difference does that 15 seconds make then? Any way you look at it, calling a TO with 15 seconds left on the play clock, and then choosing to throw the ball both cost us the game. Yes, the D SHOULD have held, but they hadn't been doing their job all game and our 2 best players for that situation couldn't even play. This loss is 100% on Andy Reid for his handling of the clock in that situation.

les paul wrote:
Their opponent-
Rearviewmirror

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jakuvious wrote:
Arrowhead86 wrote:

quoted for truth of the centruy

les paul wrote:
Their opponent-

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: