Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Will Rex Ryan get Fired this year?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Colt45fool

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no one on the market that is better than Rex.

You don't fire for the sake of firing. You fire to improve.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colt45fool wrote:

exactly. there is finally a good staff in place to develop the players they drafted. I don't understand why everyone wants to break it up now. Marty is the best offensive mind we have had in a long long time. If Rex most of the staff goes with him.
rickyt31

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know Rex is not perfect, but ya'll want him fired for being 5-6 during the rebuilding year with a 2nd round pick QB? Idzik had a hand in picking Geno too.

Of course the offense is going to struggle . Marty hasn't had the chance to get his type of players that fit his system. He's pretty much working with the players from last year's bad offense. Hill is a project, Holmes is hurt, Cumberland is a #2 TE at best, Colon is a stop gap, Winters is a 3rd round rookie, Don't know what's going on with Geno, and Ivory/Powell have potential, but haven't broken out yet because of the line.

For those who posted about how the roster needed to be rebuilt all last season, this is it. 8 wins is not suppose to happen with this roster. Honestly, I don't know a coach in the league who could have taken this roster to a winning season.

I say give this coaching staff at least 1 more year for marty to get his players & Rex to get some secondary help.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drafting a QB in the second round that does not work out it's a death sentence. It's a risk worth taking if you believe he might be a franchise QB, but it's not a huge deal if it doesn't. No one was calling for Tannenbaum and Mangini to get fired because Kellen Clemens busted.

aceinthehouse wrote:
I'm so confident in the Skins this season (offensively), I think they challenge the Patriots scoring record.
Call it a hunch. Idea
rickyt31

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

green24 wrote:
Drafting a QB in the second round that does not work out it's a death sentence. It's a risk worth taking if you believe he might be a franchise QB, but it's not a huge deal if it doesn't. No one was calling for Tannenbaum and Mangini to get fired because Kellen Clemens busted.

Carolina Panthers. Clausen was a 2nd round pick and didn't work out, then drafted Cam in the first next season.

If Smith & Simms prove they are not the answer, I wouldn't mind drafting a QB some where in the top 3 rounds.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickyt31 wrote:
green24 wrote:

Carolina Panthers. Clausen was a 2nd round pick and didn't work out, then drafted Cam in the first next season.

If Smith & Simms prove they are not the answer, I wouldn't mind drafting a QB some where in the top 3 rounds.

That works as well, except they actually did fire John Fox after that. Their drafting of Clausen coincided with a 2-14 season.

aceinthehouse wrote:
I'm so confident in the Skins this season (offensively), I think they challenge the Patriots scoring record.
Call it a hunch. Idea
Davey

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colt45fool wrote:

The coaching "market" doesn't form itself until the season is over and frankly every year there are coaching candidates fans don't have a clue about. Because it's not like players, not all coaches have tangible results to show for. Nobody cared about John Harbaugh's special teams coordinating ability. You can look around the league and see coordinators that don't scheme offenses or defenses better than Rex Ryan does but if we're going the coordinator route simply based on scheming than we've learned absolutely nothing.

And I don't think it's about keeping one until you feel a better one comes along. It's not like players. There's no stop-gap coaches, no way to scheme around coaches. They come in and pretty much establish completely what the team is. If it's not working, a change has to be made.

I think Rex Ryan has 2014 regardless, granted. The only question is whether Idzik feels comfortable tying himself to Rex Ryan or if he feels his job is best protected hiring a new head coach.
jetsfan4life51

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only guy I would want is Ray Horton.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't care who IS the answer, I think it's pretty clear Rex is not the answer. So why keep giving more time to a guy who clearly hasn't shown any growth or improvement as a HC in the last few years?
Davey

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetsfan4life51 wrote:

Cornrow revolution.
Jetsman82

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetsfan4life51 wrote:

I'm weary of a guy who was passed over by his team for the job and was then subsequently let go by the guy who was hired.

I let it go with Rex, but I tend to think there's a reason people get skipped over in house.

If Rex is let go (I can entertain an argument for both sides), I would think they'd go in the offensive direction.
It has been quite a privileged chat or work with you guys. From time to time.. From Craziness to Serious-mindedness.. From Troll to Boredom.. From Babes to Jets. From Foreigner to American.. Whatever!
Davey

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really care about where the coach's background is. If we go for a new hire, we need to hire a head coach based on his head coaching skills and not coordinator skills.

The head coach will hire a coordinator to run the offense a certain way and hire a defensive coordinator for the same thing. I just want a coach who knows what it is to administrate a team effectively.
barnaby8787

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our biggest issue if we got QB in round 1 is that we miss out on a premier WR or TE. Granted, this draft does have a lot of depth.

Props to JMG on the sig
GaTechRavens

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davey wrote:
Our best bet with him frankly is to build a really talented squad, lose more games than we should but still make the playoffs, and go on strong playoff runs with the "nobody believes in us now" mentality.

Basically our best bet is to become the Giants.

Except Ryan-led teams always win more than they should, not the other way around.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GaTechRavens wrote:
Davey wrote:
Our best bet with him frankly is to build a really talented squad, lose more games than we should but still make the playoffs, and go on strong playoff runs with the "nobody believes in us now" mentality.

Basically our best bet is to become the Giants.

Except Ryan-led teams always win more than they should, not the other way around.

Disagree. Rex Ryan has a history over his entire career here now of sloppy football against underestimated opponents. The first two years, he was lucky that more of those games didn't end up in losses.

The Jets were lucky to go 9-7 in 2009. 3-0 start on the "us against the world" mentality. People telling us how great we are, 1-6 the next seven games. They made the playoffs on a Colts gift and a half-interested Bengals team the following week. If the Jets didn't make the playoffs they would have been the first team in league history to have the best defense and best running game to not do so.

In a less fortunate season 2010 would have been the most disappointing year in Jets history. The Jets had one of the most talented rosters in the league and would finish with a 11-5 record. Respectable. But the Jets had a three game stretch with wins against Detroit, Cleveland and Houston which were, in a word, fortunate. Two of them overtime wins, one in which we were incredibly lucky just to get to overtime, the other a win on pretty much the last play of the game out of nothing, and Houston we blew a double digit lead just to steal it again at the end. It was after these three games that people were saying things like "team of destiny" because the Jets were winning in ways that frankly should not have been happening. 9-2, entering game of the season against New England. Absolutely embarrassed, would drop 3 of the next 4 to nearly get caught out in the playoff race. Luckily the results went our way otherwise in week 16 and we didn't have to play for our playoff lives in week 17. This was arguably one of the best teams the Jets ever had, playoffs were the expectation. 11-5 wasn't overachieving, and even that record was so fragile.

2011, we actually did blow it. At 8-5 with playoff destiny in hands, were handily beaten the next two games, and lost in Week 17 with minimal hope for a playoff berth anyway.

The Jets in 2012 went 6-10 with only 3 of those losses decided by less than a touchdown. This is when we started getting blown out more often than not. The talent on the roster was not as strong and Rex Ryan's inconsistent ability to motivate became more apparent in these blowout losses. The craziest thing is that the Jets were still in the playoff race at Week 15... only to lose the last three games. 2010, 2011, 2012. Rex Ryan's record in the final quarter of the season is not what you would think. And the only difference in 2009 was that the final two opponents did not play four quarters of NFL quality football.

Talent papers over a lot of cracks. The Jets can make the playoffs, and possibly win a Super Bowl with Rex Ryan. But the Jets can build the most talented team in football and won't field an elite regular season team unless they have a transcendent quarterback.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: