Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Week 12: VIKINGS (2-8) at Packers (5-5)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Freakout

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still hard to swallow that this team waived Cole two weeks ago. Makes me hold out hope that Hodges isn't that bad either.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this the best we should expect from Christian Ponder?

because this so frustrating. There are drives, and we all see them, where he just looks on fire, and could lead you to believe he'd be a good QB in this league, and other times he looks scared, or completely lost out there, and thats when the mistakes pile up.

I've honestly never seen such a streaky QB before ever. What in the world is up with Christian Ponder?? Sam Ponder, make him a happy man! Smile

and on another note, Toby Gerhart is continuing to prove me wrong.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wcblack34 wrote:
Cordarelle had 8 catches today. Could have had a long TD on the overthrow and another on the tipped ball. Very happy with his performance today.

Overthrow? The Vikings forum anti Ponder agenda is a bit much.

vikingshomer wrote:
rusty28264 wrote:
Didn't get to watch the game.... who played well and not so well
Patterson seemingly played ok, but had 2 HUGE drops that would have won the game for us.

Second was not a drop. His hands were in position to catch it in the numbers but it was deflected and smacked him in the face. It's a split second adjustment that can't be blamed on him.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xmichaelp wrote:
wcblack34 wrote:
Cordarelle had 8 catches today. Could have had a long TD on the overthrow and another on the tipped ball. Very happy with his performance today.

Overthrow? The Vikings forum anti Ponder agenda is a bit much.

vikingshomer wrote:
rusty28264 wrote:
Didn't get to watch the game.... who played well and not so well
Patterson seemingly played ok, but had 2 HUGE drops that would have won the game for us.

Second was not a drop.

The overthrow was the deep crossing route, Patterson was coming wide open beyond the LB. Looked like Ponder rushed the throw, high and outside. Had a clean pocket, didn't need to hurry.

The drop on the deep sideline route was Patterson's fault. Ball was perfectly placed. He did show good technique on the route with a subtle push off to create separation. Looks like he tried to high point the ball instead of letting it come down to his hands with a "breadbasket" catch, which would've been easier. Probably didn't need to use such a difficult technique, the DB couldn't contest the catch.

Screenshots:

This gives an idea of how he was trying to high point the catch:

The pass in the end zone was definitely tipped, and not a drop. Look at the change in trajectory (compare the height of the ball to the yellow line behind the end zone):

Last few images show his athleticism in adjusting to the tip drill. Anywhere else on the field except the back of the end zone, that's a great catch.
xmichaelp

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed I must have missed the crossing route play. I was definitely talking about the sideline one.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:

because this so frustrating. There are drives, and we all see them, where he just looks on fire, and could lead you to believe he'd be a good QB in this league, and other times he looks scared, or completely lost out there, and thats when the mistakes pile up.

I've honestly never seen such a streaky QB before ever. What in the world is up with Christian Ponder?? Sam Ponder, make him a happy man! Smile

and on another note, Toby Gerhart is continuing to prove me wrong.

I don't know....most QBs look good one drive, bad another. The problem with Ponder is that he doesn't usually have enough good drives. Yesterday, he did. Patterson and Jennings drops were huge plays, with good passes.....

Look at Luck. One play he looks awful, but more often than not, he looks great. It's the ratio of good to bad play that is off for Ponder. But really, every QB looks good and bad in a game.
The Gnat

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thoughts on the game:

Losing Xavier Rhodes are chucks of the game was probably the biggest factor in the result.

AP was a beast

Ponder wasn't too bad, obviously, he didn't do enough to win them the game, but he could be a very solid NFL backup.

What happened to a solid pass rush in the fourth quarter?

Two major drops by Greg Jennings and Cordarelle Patterson, Patterson's was definitely a harder catch, but one he should make, and Jennings was one he has to make 15 times out of 16.

MNPackfan32

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sloppy but entertaining game.

I told you guys, Tolzien is the worst thing to happen in GB in years.

If you like tough running and power backs, this game thrilled you.

I think a big reason the Vikings brass likes Jennings is his ability to improve Patterson. Think about it, Jennings is an elite WR at, reading the defense, running routes, making smart plays, and what was the knock on Patterson? They line up perfectly.

Again, if/when you cut Ponder I would welcome him with open arms, especially over Trollzien.

I can't concern myself with the playoffs, our defense is too pathetic and heartless to do any damage in the playoff. Same song and dance as the last 2 years.

Good game guys.
Mossburg

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I think more blame goes on Thompson and company for not adequately addressing the backup QB situation. Seneca Wallace is garbage too. Tolzien is just a practice squad bum they looked to when they had to scramble, can't blame him.

EFF YOUR FANTASY TEAM, I HOPE YOU LOSE

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -Mark Twain
MNPackfan32

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mossburg wrote:
Quote:

I think more blame goes on Thompson and company for not adequately addressing the backup QB situation. Seneca Wallace is garbage too. Tolzien is just a practice squad bum they looked to when they had to scramble, can't blame him.
Seneca started the Eagles game somewhat respectable. He did bring in Flynn. If Mac starts Flynn we probably win. I blame Dom Capers and the defensive unit way more. We continuously spend high draft picks on the defense and we never see any improvement no progress. Injuries certainly don't help either. Missing Perry, Casey and Sam really hurts. Sam was really missed yesterday. Capers seems to fail to use our guys correctly, we never play press man and that is what our guys are good at.
Worm Guts

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:

I don't think Ponder ever looks great. He looks serviceable at times. Streakier quarterbacks with a higher top end include Eli and Flacco, but Ponder can't play at their high level.
ArcticNorseman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

During the game yesterday, Tolzien didn't play bad or make really bad throws . . . he just suffered from the "Rhodes Effect." The batted balls didn't help his case. Rhodes gets hurt and misses the 2nd half, all of a sudden Flynn looks like Favre . . . lol.

Regarding Ponder, he played out of his head -- or actually the way an NFL QB is supposed to play. Maybe the kid's turned the corner, likely not, but we'll see. In the first quarter, he had that throw that should've been picked . . . or even pick-6, but it was dropped. The overthrow on the crossing pattern was bad. Ponder's 28 other throws were damn nice to watch, except the one tipped in the endzone. I thought that one might get picked but he had enough zip on it to get it through, just not enough height.

Thinking back on the offensive line . . . they battled hard all day. Obviously the run blocking was top-notch. The pass blocking was really solid 75% of the time -- that other 25%, well Clay Matthews and co. get paid to make those plays too. The fact Ponder was sacked 6 times but only lost 18 yards and did not fumble -- that's important.
VikesGuy07

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worm Guts wrote:
SteelKing728 wrote:

I don't think Ponder ever looks great. He looks serviceable at times. Streakier quarterbacks with a higher top end include Eli and Flacco, but Ponder can't play at their high level.

Bingo. Even his completions, he's staring down receivers the whole way, not actually reading the field. And when an average defense can consistently take away that first option, Ponder is screwed. Green Bay did it a bit in the first half and Ponder didn't look great. Then the Pack Either struggled with it in the second half or the Vikings adjusted, leading to a more successful (though still not more than average for an NFL team) final two quarters.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's clear that Ponder must be replaced as a starter, he crumbles against good defenses. He shows glimpses of being solid against lousy defenses. I'd take ponder over Cassel as a backup though.
VikeManDan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the extent of Rhodes' injury?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45  Next
Page 41 of 45

Jump to: