Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

What to do with Hatch
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Northland

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way he comes back is if he signs a team friendly deal which isn't likely. I believe he will turn 32 before the start of the 2014 season. We can't afford him and as much as I would like him back we don't want to sign him to a multi year deal. Let him walk.
Dirk Gently

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People understand that backloaded multi year deals are cap friendly, right? The fact that Ware is due so much next year is what makes him cutable, yes?
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Hatch. Pretty sure I was one of his biggest supporters on here before he 'blew up.' He is a tremendous teammate and competitor.

I want him not only on the field but in the locker.

But the reality is we should thank him for his services and send him off. The contract he should deserving get should put him out of our price-range. But even if it wasn't the case. Even if we could nickle and dime and ask him to stay - we should not. We should continue to build towards the future and the reality is he is not a part of that future. He is on the wrong side of 30. Each and every year will be diminishing returns.

Retaining him would be a band-aid. Letting us gloss over the position because we have a talented (and expensive) veteran there. No. We should draft someone and see if Bass truly has what it takes to be a starter.

In the best case scenario, we send him off a champion and in return we get a nice comp pick out of it. Either way, his tenure in Dallas has been fantastic. But we should move on from this chapter and turn the page.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
BigD88

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You find a way... Any way, to franchise him.
But don't even think about anything more than that for a player who will be 32 before the season even starts.

KingofSTATS wrote:

Witten is just too slow and nonathletic to be a dominant force in the receiving game.
DKDALfan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we have to let him go. Franchising him would be very hard, and it would likely be on the expence of future years cap.

- I don't think we would be able to extend him. I think he wants to test the open market no mather what, because this is his last chance to earn the big money which is something he has never done before. Can't blame him, his playing carieer is nearing the end and it's understandable that he wants to get all the money he can while he's still in the final years of his prime.
GeneralDissaray

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
We let him and Spencer both walk and get comp picks. We draft a young 3 tech and move Crawford to that spot as well.

I am glad we are getting this production, but someone else needs to pay for it.

Obligatory - unless he takes a team friendly deal.

Hatcher has already stated that he knows this will likely be his last in Dallas. It's too bad, but we've been snake bitten by giving 30 year olds multiyear contracts. I agree with everything Matts has said. It's the most logical decision. Now watch, in the next week or two Jerry will sign him to a 5 year deal.
Dirk Gently

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be totally on board with giving him 4 years with an $8-10m signing bonus. He's absolutely got two more good years left in him. $5m dead money vs.$8-10m salary in 2016 is an easy cut.
GeneralDissaray

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DKDALfan wrote:
I think we have to let him go. Franchising him would be very hard, and it would likely be on the expence of future years cap.

- I don't think we would be able to extend him. I think he wants to test the open market no mather what, because this is his last chance to earn the big money which is something he has never done before. Can't blame him, his playing carieer is nearing the end and it's understandable that he wants to get all the money he can while he's still in the final years of his prime.

He also might want to go to a team that will let him get some post season play.
Dallas94Ware

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dirk Gently wrote:
People understand that backloaded multi year deals are cap friendly, right? The fact that Ware is due so much next year is what makes him cutable, yes?

The problem isn't that he is due so much. At least, not that alone. The whoole problem is that he's due that much while not playing so hot right now. If he was on pace for another 14 sack season, I don't think cutting him, regardless of his cap hit, is even up for consideration.

Yes just like every coach, I do think I know everything.

Read the Football FAQ!
Dirk Gently

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dallas94Ware wrote:
Dirk Gently wrote:

The problem isn't that he is due so much. At least, not that alone. The whoole problem is that he's due that much while not playing so hot right now. If he was on pace for another 14 sack season, I don't think cutting him, regardless of his cap hit, is even up for consideration.

No. I mean giving hatcher a backloaded multi year deal is the way to keep him. Like i said, give him four years with an 8-10m signing bonus and he's cutable in two.
textaz03

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me its simple and im sure Hatch could accept this. 4 year deal.

Signing bonus: 12 mil
2014 - 3 mil
2015 - 3 mil
2016 - 3 mil
2017 - 3 mil

Salary:
2014 - Vet minimum (roughly 900 k) plus 200 k
2015 - 3.5 mil
2016 - 4.5 mil
2017 - 5.5 mil

CAP charges:
2014 - 4.1 Mil
2015 - 6.5 Mil
2016 - 7.5 Mil
2017 - 8.5 Mil

That's 13.1 mil guaranteed with a total of 27 Mil. Hatch would make more next year and stay with the team who has supported him, than at any point in his career. Very reasonable and can keep him for the rest of his prime and can be cut in 2 years. With a CAP hit of 6 mil in 2016.

"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyways" - John Wayne
Dallas94Ware

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dirk Gently wrote:
Dallas94Ware wrote:
Dirk Gently wrote:

No. I mean giving hatcher a backloaded multi year deal is the way to keep him. Like i said, give him four years with an 8-10m signing bonus and he's cutable in two.

Ahh, I follow what you're saying.

But deals like that is what has gotten this team into so much cap trouble as it is...while it makes sense, and will help keep at least some stability on the line, I'd be scared to go this route again.

Read the Football FAQ!
Dirk Gently

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

textaz03 wrote:
To me its simple and im sure Hatch could accept this. 4 year deal.

Signing bonus: 12 mil
2014 - 3 mil
2015 - 3 mil
2016 - 3 mil
2017 - 3 mil

Salary:
2015 - 3.5 mil
2016 - 4.5 mil
2017 - 5.5 mil

CAP charges:
2014 - 4.1 Mil
2015 - 6.5 Mil
2016 - 7.5 Mil
2017 - 8.5 Mil

That's 13.1 mil guaranteed with a total of 27 Mil. Hatch would make more next year and stay with the team who has supported him, than at any point in his career. Very reasonable and can keep him for the rest of his prime and can be cut in 2 years. With a CAP hit of 6 mil in 2016.

I'm sure he would, too. That's too rich for my blood. Knock the signing bonus down to $8m and guarantee 2015 instead and I do it today.

Signing bonus: 8 mil
2014 - 2 mil
2015 - 2 mil
2016 - 2 mil
2017 - 2 mil

Salary:
2015 - 3.5 mil, guaranteed
2016 - 5 mil
2017 - 5 mil

CAP charges:
2014 - 3.1 Mil
2015 - 5.5 Mil
2016 - 7 Mil
2017 - 7 Mil

In 2016, you save $3m off the cap by cutting him. $4m total dead money. If you get one more good year out of him there and can wait till 2017, all the better.
Dallas94Ware

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is, do we even have 3.1 or 5.5 mil available next season and the year after? Especially if we want to resign Dez after next season?

This team is so overloaded in their cap situation that even 3.1 million becomes very difficult to find. If we can somehow even make 5 or 6 million become freed (and that would be with a lot of cuts), can we afford to use half or more than half on one guy? Confused

We would need that space to fill all the other roster spots as well as find new guys to replace those we'd have had to cut just to get under the cap. And assuming the F.O. doesn't want 10, 15 undrafted guys filling spots for the bare bones wages just to fill the roster, we'll need a few million to fill out the roster and ensure we have enough depth to get through a season.

It's not really about how good the guy is or is not, at this point with this team, it's really about 'how can we make it happen financially?' Our cap situation is so horrendous that simply ensuring we have a full roster for next season is going to take a lot of finagling, let alone trying to sign guys who will likely look for a nice, lofty pay day.

Read the Football FAQ!
GeneralDissaray

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dallas94Ware wrote:
Dirk Gently wrote:
Dallas94Ware wrote:
Dirk Gently wrote:

Ahh, I follow what you're saying.

But deals like that is what has gotten this team into so much cap trouble as it is...while it makes sense, and will help keep at least some stability on the line, I'd be scared to go this route again.

You think his agent wouldn't recognize that. He would ask for guaranteed money.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: